Prinsendam

travel09

Any thoughts on cabin 209, Promenade deck on Prinsendam, [ 34 day Norway and Celtic cruise June 14].. Thank you.

That's an AB cabin if I can still read a deck plan!

I would go with an AA. AB's can be subject to a lot of vibration, spills and generally are not the nice rooms atypical of the Elegant Explorer. They are the new rooms that HAL added to the ship.

very typical rooms of any other HAL ship - not typical of the Prinsendam. No walk in closets. Not my cup of tea. There have been a number of posts about the issues with these cabins.

JMO - but I would be taking a new look at potential cabins.

That's an AB cabin if I can still read a deck plan!

I would go with an AA. AB's can be subject to a lot of vibration, spills and generally are not the nice rooms atypical of the Elegant Explorer. They are the new rooms that HAL added to the ship.

very typical rooms of any other HAL ship - not typical of the Prinsendam. No walk in closets. Not my cup of tea. There have been a number of posts about the issues with these cabins.

JMO - but I would be taking a new look at potential cabins.

I whole heartily concur, for the same reasons. I have never heard of anyone coming back here and saying they liked those cabins!! I know that doesn't mean anything, but those added on cabins are known for issues. I assume they use them for guarantees, since most here know to avoid them! If you choose a verandah at the front of the ship, you have to deal with the showlounge.

I don't post about cabins easily and don't claim to be an expert - but everything I read came to light on our first P'dam cruise. One of our tablemates had one of those cabins and when some finally got off before we started the TA portion, they got a 'sleeping room'. So they had two rooms. Before that the ship was full.

It was so nice not to hear the complaints at the table - and there were plenty. They weren't complainers from what I could see and it was obvious they were suffering from lack of sleep and other things.

So, I haven't recommended on any P'dam roll call and on any thread not to book these cabins based on not only what has been posted but this couple's agony for a number of days.

Edited by kazu

We were in 234 on the 2011 grand voyage around South America. This is one of the inside cabins in the new section. It is the closest inside room to the stern in this row of rooms. These inside rooms are huge!. Well over 200 sq. feet.

Veranda rooms in this section are not as large and, as noted here already, they look like newer rooms but lack some of the amenities of the older P'dam rooms.Folks in those rooms also complained of water slopping out of the pool and pouring down on them unexpectedly on their veranda. Don't know whether this has been taken care of.

Unfortunately, there is a lot of vibration in this section, especially if the ship is maneuvering, changing speeds,or is in shallow water. We had one day where stuff on the desk actually vibrated off onto the floor. Doesn't happen all the time but if you have a lot of early port arrivals you will not need to set your alarm clock. The shaking bed will wake you up.

We are booked again on the Prinsendam next year but passed on this section and went for a traditional large ocean view room.

We've decided on an ocean view room also, and our TA has entered a "do not upgrade" so we won't get an AB. We are open to upsells. To be fair, if it was the only class available in my price range, I'd find a way to enjoy it! I'm posting this to say thank you to the people on this board who provide helpful information and make cruising even more enjoyable. It helps that you say not only what you do or don't like but also why, letting me decide what fits me. Eight more months!