Hotel recommendations Fort Lauderdale

mic74

Hello, we are 15 people who were scheduled to leave on the now cancelled sailing of the Allure on Feb 23. Our wonderful travel agent has us now sailing on the Oasis on Feb 22. Months ago after reading many, many reviews we booked rooms at Embassy Suites for 3 nights Feb 20-22rd. We received a price we were very happy with when I reserved 7 months ago using the MVP program. I just called to cancel our Sat, Feb 22nd stay as we will be on the Oasis that night. Unfortunately for us, it isn't that easy. They have to do a new reservation for all of us and the prices have went up substantially now. So, we are back at square one deciding if we should switch to a more economical hotel. I found very good rates at Hampton Inn Downtown, but am wondering after reading some reviews, how dangerous is it after dark? Much worse than the Embassy? We are 10 adults and 5 children so we won't be roaming the streets in the wee hours of the morning. Any other hotel recommendations close to the port and restaurants and that has a pool for the children? Thanks!

Edited by mic74

Do two things. If you have not done so already call the hotel directly (call weekdays) and see if a manager or someone can help you with the price. Explain what happened and let them know you realize that rates have gone up but can they do something for you. I would give it a another try.

Take a look at the Hyatt Pier 66.

Keith

The Hilton on 17th Avenue was where we stayed (right at the 17th Ave. Bridge). You can see Port Everglades from the hotel. Would not hesitate a moment to stay there again. A Publix market is across the street, the hotel is very clean. We chose a room with the marina view. Husband loved it due to the very large yachts docked right off of our balcony.

Thank you both for your responses! I will call the Embassy first thing tomorrow morning and ask to speak with someone in management. I was researching hotels for hours last night. It looks like now anything in the area of the Embassy is over our price range. How about Homewood Suites Airport Cruise port? Need a backup plan in case Embassy will not help us out.

Thanks Jean, I just looked at the Hilton on 17th and then I remembered I tried that one last night. My sister needs a room for 2 adults and 3 children and online anyway it says that exceeds the allowed amount of people per room. Looks like a very nice hotel!

mic74, the only issue would be if you are planning to be there for three days will you all have transportation to get around?

Keith

Hi Keith, no, we weren't planning on renting a car. So, that's looking like not such a good choice. Fingers crossed when I call Embassy tomorrow, management is able to help us out... or we may just decide to pay the higher prices. This may be a once in a lifetime trip going with our family all together... just too bad that things have kinda went sideways with the cancelling of the Allure. Luckily, we had group bookings with United and we were able to change our flights quite easily without any penalties or fare increases.

mic74.............I don't know what your budget is but the Springhill Suites is avalaible for $115 and the Doubletree is avaliable for $162 for your dates on lastminutetravel. Both of these hotels have suites that fit 5 people in one room.

The Doubletree is the first hotel on the list with 3.5* and has green bedspreads in the pictures. Springhill Suites is listed as 3* in Dania and has striped bedspreads and a green sofa in the pictures. Springhill Suites offers a complimentary breakfast but Doubletree does not.

Hope this helps you in case the Embassy suites doesn't work out.

Edited by Marie51

The Hampton Inn downtown is in an area that is isolated outside of M-F 8-5, so I would not walk around there after dark. If you want to stay downtown, Riverside Hotel is the place to be.

Like Marie1, I would highly recommend the Doubletree Gallery One on lmt for your 3 nights. They are also in the hiltonmvp program, as is Bahia Mar Doubletree, and Hilton Marina. Atlantic Hotel is also on lmt and it is very nice, though you will need to walk close to a mile to go to the main commercial beach dining area from there.

Another cruiser favorite is Hyatt Place on Valuetrips, as it is a block from Embassy Suites.

IMO the airport area hotels are fine for one night but beyond that you might as well be home, as it is not a fun area.

mic74.............I don't know what your budget is but the Springhill Suites is avalaible for $115 and the Doubletree is avaliable for $162 for your dates on lastminutetravel. Both of these hotels have suites that fit 5 people in one room.

The Doubletree is the first hotel on the list with 3.5* and has green bedspreads in the pictures. Springhill Suites is listed as 3* in Dania and has striped bedspreads and a green sofa in the pictures. Springhill Suites offers a complimentary breakfast but Doubletree does not.

Hope this helps you in case the Embassy suites doesn't work out.

Thanks everyone for all of your help, I really appreciate it! I just wanted to confirm the 3.5 star on Last Minute Travel is the Double Tree Gallery One on East Sunrise Blvd? Is this hotel close to restaurants and shopping? Thanks!

The Hyatt Place on Valuetrips also looks like a good possibility. There are rooms with 2 double beds, are these rooms all suites?

Michelle

Thanks everyone for all of your help, I really appreciate it! I just wanted to confirm the 3.5 star on Last Minute Travel is the Double Tree Gallery One on East Sunrise Blvd? Is this hotel close to restaurants and shopping? Thanks!

The Hyatt Place on Valuetrips also looks like a good possibility. There are rooms with 2 double beds, are these rooms all suites?

Michelle

I just booked the Doubletree on LMT for our pre-cruise hotel. It is the one on East Sunrise and if you call they take a few dollars off the price and will tell you the name of the hotel too. A trick you can use is to do a mock booking and add in a rental car or other activity and continue with the booking and it then shows you the name of the hotel without you having to go ahead and actually book it.

I also need to find out about places to eat near the hotel although it has a restaurant. There will be 10 of us with small children so we can't walk too far.

Edited by Marie51

Michelle

The Doubletree is an outstanding location! On the water taxi route, across from the beach, next to one of my favorite malls in South Florida! You can eat at Seasons 52, Capitol Grille, etc and all kinds of other stuff.

Hello, we are 15 people who were scheduled to leave on the now cancelled sailing of the Allure on Feb 23. Our wonderful travel agent has us now sailing on the Oasis on Feb 22. Months ago after reading many, many reviews we booked rooms at Embassy Suites for 3 nights Feb 20-22rd. We received a price we were very happy with when I reserved 7 months ago using the MVP program. I just called to cancel our Sat, Feb 22nd stay as we will be on the Oasis that night. Unfortunately for us, it isn't that easy. They have to do a new reservation for all of us and the prices have went up substantially now. So, we are back at square one deciding if we should switch to a more economical hotel. I found very good rates at Hampton Inn Downtown, but am wondering after reading some reviews, how dangerous is it after dark? Much worse than the Embassy? We are 10 adults and 5 children so we won't be roaming the streets in the wee hours of the morning. Any other hotel recommendations close to the port and restaurants and that has a pool for the children? Thanks!

Check with Hyatt House and the LaQuinta-FLL Airport using the Promo Code: H O M E D L.

Edited by Florissouri

I just booked the Doubletree on LMT for our pre-cruise hotel. ...I also need to find out about places to eat near the hotel although it has a restaurant. There will be 10 of us with small children so we can't walk too far.

For family dining, PF Changs is at the Mall, and La Cantina Mexican is just over the bridge...no more than 2 blocks walk to either, and you don't have to cross Sunrise Blvd. You can run across Sunrise Blvd to Publix to buy snacks. :)

Thanks everyone for all of your help, I really appreciate it! I just wanted to confirm the 3.5 star on Last Minute Travel is the Double Tree Gallery One on East Sunrise Blvd? Is this hotel close to restaurants and shopping? ...

Michelle

Yes. Yes.