Dawn disembark problems

debfew

We were there, we picked up 70 people in Mexico. Our cruise went from closed loop to open. Not sure what the exact issue was but the port people were mad as he'll at NCL it took us over two ours to get off, they only had three agents working

The terminal could be better, no stairs so your choice is two wait for the elevator which holds about 8 or take the escalator which is fine if u have a free hand. It bottle necked at TSA

It's 1:25 and still waiting to board. I can see the end of the line of people debarking. Should be boarding soon. Heard it was a customs issue. At least I won't have to wait for my cabin to be ready. :D

Still waiting to board. It's like a zoo here. No direction from anyone. A bunch of us just learned we have been standing in the wrong line for one hour. The port workers are polite but obviously unhappy.

It's a good thing we opted for the late hotel shuttle. Apparently those who took the 10:30am shuttle to get to the port are still waiting too. Maybe just my luck. But this is my second NCL cruise and the last one, a very short 3 day cruise had the worst embarkation too. Hope it's not an NCL thing. People are joking that they should have gone with Carnival. :D

A quick update, a couple of deaf people and their interprefer just got in. So looks like at least they are starting. Here is hoping we get on before midnight! :D

Edited by ms Eden

Why did they let people board in Mexico??

They actually sell 7 day Cozumel to Cozemel in some overseas makets. On the Pearl last year they had British passengers board in Jamacia for 7 days. These are group packages put together by TAs that include a pre or post land stay.

Edited by time2cruise1

We were there, we picked up 70 people in Mexico. Our cruise went from closed loop to open. Not sure what the exact issue was but the port people were mad as he'll at NCL it took us over two ours to get off, they only had three agents working

Your cruise, and that of the majority of people on the ship, did not change to an "open loop" cruise. You disembarked at the same port you embarked from and therefore it is closed loop. IF, the 70 people who embarked in Mexico got off in the US, then that could be an "open loop" for them, but my guess is that they will continue on with the newly embarked passengers back to Mexico and get off there. Again, a closed loop cruise for the 70. Probably a group package like they do from Cozumel roundtrip on some Western Caribbean itineraries out of Florida.

Not in violation of any laws and I doubt if that is the reason for the problem. Sounds like Customs and Immigration does not have their act together for some reason. 3 agents for a few thousand people does not sound like nearly enough. Too soon to throw NCL under the bus on this one, IMO.

Your cruise, and that of the majority of people on the ship, did not change to an "open loop" cruise. You disembarked at the same port you embarked from and therefore it is closed loop. IF, the 70 people who embarked in Mexico got off in the US, then that could be an "open loop" for them, but my guess is that they will continue on with the newly embarked passengers back to Mexico and get off there. Again, a closed loop cruise for the 70. Probably a group package like they do from Cozumel roundtrip on some Western Caribbean itineraries out of Florida.

Not in violation of any laws and I doubt if that is the reason for the problem. Sounds like Customs and Immigration does not have their act together for some reason. 3 agents for a few thousand people does not sound like nearly enough. Too soon to throw NCL under the bus on this one, IMO.

Closed loop and open loop designations only apply to cruises from one US port to another (or the same one) as far as US CBP is concerned. The passengers who got on in Mexico are allowed to leave the ship in the US, at the first US port, without any restrictions from the PVSA. If, however, CBP was not notified that there would be incoming passengers (those who did not start the cruise in the US), this would complicate the entire clearance process. It is the same thing with a TA or repo cruise from overseas, where the clearance process is totally different, even for US citizens, than a closed loop cruise. Even if the passengers embarked in Mexico were to return to Mexico on the subsequent cruise, this is not a "closed loop" as it does not originate in a US port, or carry passengers from one US port to another. So these passengers need to be cleared the same as if they flew into the US.

We were on this cruise. We made it through customs at 11am. There were only 4 custom agents until 10:45am when 3 more came in. THIS IS NOT NCL'S FAULT. Once you leave the ship you are at the mercy of the immigration authorities. I wish I could say this was the worst experience we've had, but once coming off at Port Everglades on Celebrity we didn't make it off until 12:30pm. There was no power in the terminal and immigration wouldn't clear anyone until the power came back on, oh well.

Closed loop and open loop designations only apply to cruises from one US port to another (or the same one) as far as US CBP is concerned. The passengers who got on in Mexico are allowed to leave the ship in the US, at the first US port, without any restrictions from the PVSA. If, however, CBP was not notified that there would be incoming passengers (those who did not start the cruise in the US), this would complicate the entire clearance process. It is the same thing with a TA or repo cruise from overseas, where the clearance process is totally different, even for US citizens, than a closed loop cruise. Even if the passengers embarked in Mexico were to return to Mexico on the subsequent cruise, this is not a "closed loop" as it does not originate in a US port, or carry passengers from one US port to another. So these passengers need to be cleared the same as if they flew into the US.

You may be correct as I am no expert on the PVSA, but I fail to see how clearing a mere 70 additional passengers is going to cause this sort of back up. And NCL not notifying the proper authorities of the presence of the passengers added in Mexico? I guess it is possible, but this is not NCLs first rodeo, I doubt they would make that mistake.

As mentioned by another poster on another thread on this incident, port workers said it was due to more ships in port that day and additional workers were brought in after a few hours. Sounds like a Customs and Immigration issue to me and nothing to do with passengers added in Mexico.

I really don't know all the details. I can say this for sure, we will never go out of Tampa again if this is anything close to the norm. The TSA / Boarder agents I talked to blamed NCL. They did not know people got on in Mexico. Like I said before I don't know the in's and outs but the bottom line was they had way to few agents working.

If everyone got off late, they still had to turn over the cabins and then start a delayed boarding process for the new passengers, so no surprise departure might be delayed as well.

Everyone was asked to be out of their cabins by 9:00am, the mess at the terminal had no effect on cabins being turned around. Our room steward was turing over cabins as we walked down at 7:45am.

And NCL not notifying the proper authorities of the presence of the passengers added in Mexico? I guess it is possible, but this is not NCLs first rodeo, I doubt they would make that mistake.
I agree. That sounds like a great way to get your entire cruise line's authorization to operate in US ports revoked immediately… :eek:

We boarded around 4pm and attended the safety drill around 5pm. We could see people still trickling in, but clearly the majority had already got on.

The captain just announced we will be leaving at 7pm. Let's hope we do. I booked a fantastic excursion in Roatan and don't want to be late. :p

Btw, the ship is lovely. Not as grand as the newer Royal Caribbean ships that I am more familiar with, but it feels very cozy. Room well appointed and the decor whimsical and adorable.

I really don't know all the details. I can say this for sure, we will never go out of Tampa again if this is anything close to the norm. The TSA / Boarder agents I talked to blamed NCL. They did not know people got on in Mexico. Like I said before I don't know the in's and outs but the bottom line was they had way to few agents working.

Everyone was asked to be out of their cabins by 9:00am, the mess at the terminal had no effect on cabins being turned around. Our room steward was turing over cabins as we walked down at 7:45am.

Ouch. My next cruise ends in Tampa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

We had no issues on the Dawn repo. Handed in our customs forms and out of the terminal in minutes.

Sent from my iPhone - Jim

Good to hear. Ours is Panama Canal so I will be ready to head home. Going back to work will be a nightmare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free