Another Formal Night Question

itsjb1

There will be lots of reports here from people who say that you do not need a jacket and relay their experience of not needing one. The problem with this is that Celebrity is not consistent in their enforcement of the MDR (main dining room) dress code. On some cruises they require an appropriate jacket, on others they'll supply one if you are not wearing one and on some they will just turn you away. All three scenarios have been reported here and it might even vary depending on who is manning the door when you arrive.

The only way to be sure of no issues is to either wear an appropriate jacket or plan dinner at an alternate venue such as the buffet or specialty restaurant.

Personally, I'd recommend wearing attire that complies with the formal dress code: A tuxedo, suit or formal dinner jacket. Since you've booked Celebrity why not just go with it and follow the guidelines.

Edited by Lsimon

I agree, everyone will have a different experience and I have seen both - there seems to be no consistency

I would take a jacket to be sure or decide in advance that you are not going to do it

Larry and Jan are absolutely right, it depends on who is at the door. It is your choice if you wish to take the chance as it could happen. I saw it happen last year on the Summit in Bermuda.

I asked this question ways back before I embarked on the Celebrity Millenium cruise from Hawaii to Sydney, Australia (November 2013).

My wife & I decided that would only smart casual clothing, eg. nice design shirts with black sports slacks (which looked like suit trousers) Anyway, the first formal night we dressed in the above clothing & went to main dining room, where fellow diners on our table were dressed to the nines. They were concerned about us not wearing formal wear, nor were the staff.

On the next 2 formals nights, we decided to dress smart casual again, and this time we stayed away from the main Dinining Room, and visited Bistro on Five ($5 p.p. cover charge - but well worth for the nice food & wine we had) but also had the whole restaurant to ourselves, with service from the most pleasant waitress we have ever had)

On returning to the MDR after formal nights, we told our dining table friends all about we we had ventured. However, when I said there was a $5 cover charge, they back peddled. (I guess $5 each was too much for their budget) I told them life is too short not to be enjoyed to the fullest, get out & try other things/places)

I guess what I was trying to say, "That by not attending formal nights, we discovered other dining venues, and taste sensations, other than MDR"

Another interesting venue is Q-sine and the Olympic Restaurant.

I guess what I was trying to say, "That by not attending formal nights, we discovered other dining venues, and taste sensations, other than MDR"

Another interesting venue is Q-sine and the Olympic Restaurant.

Very good points, thanks. We are still deciding what to do.

Hello,

My son and I just returned from the Celebrity Reflection Nov. 23, cruise. we had two formal nights the second one being Thanksgiving, if we were to in our opinion list the % of modes of dress

10 % of men wore Tuxedos

40 % of men wore suits or jackets

40 % were smart casual

and the remainder wore just about anything

there was also a table of about 12 people on the second formal night Thanksgiving

dressed like the original Thanksgiving attendees in American Indian Attire and Pilgrim attire (actually pretty funny)