Tropical Birds and such

lilmizz

Ok, So does anyone no if you can get a tour of just tropical birds in Roatan or Casta Maya? We are busy in Coz and Belize and didn't want to do much in the other tqo ports. But we love birds, ( Parrots and others) so advice will be appreciated! Thanks!

In Roatan -- Victor Bodden Tours -- highly recommend !!

We had a wonderful tour, which included lots of time with monkeys, macaws and parrots at his private preserve.

Try boddentours.com

I was looking into that. How long do you stay ? Do you have to do the whole best of Roatan tour or can we just do the Monkeys macaws and parrots deal?

Roatan is an amazing port! You should consider seeing more of the island.

I would but I fear we are going to be so worn out after coz and Belize that Ill need a vacation after this vacation if I am out on every port going at it! :p

Belize was just alright for us. We love Chankanaab at Cozumel. But Roatan stole the show for us that itinerary, and still is a favorite on this side of the world. It has a totally cool vibe too on the west end diving part of the island. It was WAY better than our Belize day. To me, Roatan is the star, and the others, great back up singers.

You should totally reconsider your day in Belize. Roatan is so amazing you may regret it. Even if you go to the parrots and then relax on Tabayana beach it's worth it. I think it the most beautiful tropical place I have been to. The beaches are amazing too!

OK ok Ok!! You guys got me convinced! Ill do beach and Birds in Roatan! We are doing the cavetubing in Belize. it takes like 5.5 hours. Thats why I figured we would need a break, But what can be more relaxing than looking at birds and playing on the beach! lol.. Thanks guys! Your amazing! thats why I love Cruise Critic!!

I see you've gotten some great responses and I just had to chime in and totally agree. Roatan is worth it. It's an amazingly beautiful island with great people.

We did a snorkel excursion that was followed by a bbq and then Gumbalimba Park. Parrots and monkeys and beautiful scenery. It's a private park, so it's not like you're seeing animals 'in the wild', but still fun.

The last time we went, we just went to Half Moon Bay for shopping and beach and that had lunch in the mountains.

You really can't go wrong there.

I see you've gotten some great responses and I just had to chime in and totally agree. Roatan is worth it. It's an amazingly beautiful island with great people.

We did a snorkel excursion that was followed by a bbq and then Gumbalimba Park. Parrots and monkeys and beautiful scenery. It's a private park, so it's not like you're seeing animals 'in the wild', but still fun.

The last time we went, we just went to Half Moon Bay for shopping and beach and that had lunch in the mountains.

You really can't go wrong there.

Did you do yours through Victor Bodden? Thats the main thing Im seeing on excursion sites anyway. And Thanks so much for your reply!!

Im going to visit Roatan! Im so excited... I just cant Hide it!!

We too have been on the Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, and GCM cruise and Roatan is one of those places we've vowed to return for a longer visit. Our first cruise we pre-booked a private guide and took a mini-tour of the island and headed to West Bay (Half Moon Bay) and enjoyed $2 beers, shopping for Lencan pottery, and also enjoyed the most amazing cigar humidor/bar I've seen anywhere in the Carib! Then a nice $4 water taxi to West Bay where we enjoyed the beautiful beach and lunch at the THirsty Turtle at the Bananarama. Just a gorgeous day and we will repeat that in Feb.

For Belize we did the Goff's Caye excursion, gorgeous spot for sure. This trip trying to find something relaxing like a daysail/beach or caye stop.

For Cozumel we were diverted due to the swine flu (2009) and went to Key West instead. Didn't mind too much since we've been to Cozumel before, and we've driven the island while viasiting from our resort in PDC.

But we already planned to drive from Miami and spend a week in Key West following the cruise - so we just got a little taste early!

We're htitting Coata Maya on the Feb cruise and since we're only in port a short time we've reserved chairs (for free) at Steve's Tropicante.

But definitely agree you'll want to just hire a private guide (several to choose from at $25pp for 4 ppl) rather than an organized tour guide like VB, and head for the West End and West Bay - funky and gorgeous all in one day!

I have heard good things about Victor Boden. However I use Christopher Tours. We were treated like family and had a fantastic time at a great price. Back to the ship with time to spare.

You would have to check if they go to parrots though. Ask for Dario as your driver if you go with them.

I second Christophers tour. We used them when we were in Roatan last year (same time a Michelle) and they were fantastic. We did go to the monkey farm that had birds that you could see and have sit on your shoulder or head. :rolleyes: Is was nice. There was just my wife and I on the tour did zip lining (South Shore), monkey's and the the beach. They have various packages. But our guide was great and wife was having such a great time we finished the tour eveen though she fell at the beach and hurt her foot. Actually found it was broken.:eek: So she spent the last half the cruise in a wheel chair. Yes Michelle we were the ones at the Chocolate Factory in Cozumel.

The Ump

John

I am another one who has visited Cozumel and Belize and Costa Maya (numerous times) and these 3 places do not even come close to Roatan. First visited there on a cruise and have been back twice for a week each time since.

For great birds and monkey time..... head to Gumbalimba park. You can spend as much time as you like with the birds (on your head if you like) and also with the monkeys (again on your head, back etc....) We went one afternoon kind of late on one of our land visits and we were the only ones there !!!!

It is not too far from West Bay beach - which is a really great spot to plop your rear end down and relax...... gorgeous beach! But take your mask, fins and snorkle and head into the water for some great snorkeling too.

the people of Roatan are friendly and the island is gorgeous so please dont sell it short on your day there !!!

BTW: Did the cave tubing on our first visit to Belize....it was fun and not that strenuous..... Costa Maya we visited Chacchoben ruins.... small but interesting. Other than that we didnt think much of CM.

Have a great trip !

Did you do yours through Victor Bodden? Thats the main thing Im seeing on excursion sites anyway. And Thanks so much for your reply!!

Im going to visit Roatan! Im so excited... I just cant Hide it!!

We did Jolly Roger that we booked through Carnival. They were fabulous. Friendly, free rum, super helpful since I was new to snorkeling at the time.

As soon as we got back, my husband started looking at how much property is in Roatan. It is that wonderful.

Forgot to mention we are actually doing the same cruise next week so Peggy can see Belize and Cozumel again. She only remembers part of things we did due to medicine. :eek:

The Ump

John

Hey John good to hear from you! Glad she gets to go back! We went on Magic this past March and booked again for Christmas 2014. Amazing ship!

John you will have to let me know what the temps are like when you get back. When we cruised in March we were actually kinda cold at all the ports. I mean the water temp was just not fun. We cruise next Dec and I'm hoping it won't be to chilly.

lilmizz,

I wish there was a tropical bird watching tour! DH and I (especially me) love birds of all kinds. I'm sure there are a lot of cool ones in the Caribbean. Unfortunately none of the islands seem to offer a tour like this.

We went on the Fun N Sun tour with Victor Bodden last time we were in Roatan. We did enjoy it, but this time I would like to go bird watching to see some wild birds that are not caged. Other then renting a car and going off on our own to look for birds and wildlife I guess we're out of luck:(

Have fun with what ever you decide to do. Roatan is a very beautiful island.:)

lilmizz,

I wish there was a tropical bird watching tour! DH and I (especially me) love birds of all kinds. I'm sure there are a lot of cool ones in the Caribbean. Unfortunately none of the islands seem to offer a tour like this.

We went on the Fun N Sun tour with Victor Bodden last time we were in Roatan. We did enjoy it, but this time I would like to go bird watching to see some wild birds that are not caged. Other then renting a car and going off on our own to look for birds and wildlife I guess we're out of luck:(

Have fun with what ever you decide to do. Roatan is a very beautiful island.:)

Thank you! I'm sure we will. We booked with victor. The private tour. So we are gonna see the monkey s and iguana farm. They say they have lotsa birds. So we will see. Then the beach which I. Hear is beautiful. Do you or anyone know the best place to grab lunch?

I am another one who has visited Cozumel and Belize and Costa Maya (numerous times) and these 3 places do not even come close to Roatan. First visited there on a cruise and have been back twice for a week each time since.

For great birds and monkey time..... head to Gumbalimba park. You can spend as much time as you like with the birds (on your head if you like) and also with the monkeys (again on your head, back etc....) We went one afternoon kind of late on one of our land visits and we were the only ones there !!!!

It is not too far from West Bay beach - which is a really great spot to plop your rear end down and relax...... gorgeous beach! But take your mask, fins and snorkle and head into the water for some great snorkeling too.

the people of Roatan are friendly and the island is gorgeous so please dont sell it short on your day there !!!

BTW: Did the cave tubing on our first visit to Belize....it was fun and not that strenuous..... Costa Maya we visited Chacchoben ruins.... small but interesting. Other than that we didnt think much of CM.

Have a great trip !

HAHA, Birds on our heads we dont mind. lol We have a cockatiel and he is a big part of the family for such a little bird! and he loves to ride on your head.

So im very excited about Roatan now. At first I really didnt think We would even get off the ship. Now Im glad I asked for advice on here!!!:D