Ginger Altoids

I assume you are going to try to use them to prevent nausea / seasickness ... I don't know for sure, but I would doubt they have enough ginger in them to help. Check with a pharmacist or physician (preferably one who is knowledgeable in complementary and alternative care) in your area to see what s/he thinks ...

I'd hate for you to "get out there" only to find they are just sugar with some ginger flavor and find that they don't work well for you.

BTW, I agree with you ... they are nasty tasting!

:eek:

i have used the ginger altoids for seasickness...and they worked great for me! i never leave home without them! lol

hope to sea ya all soon on the sea, judy

After having purchased and tasted the Altiods, I am beginning to wonder do they really work or are they so disgusting, that they take your mind off of seasickness???? Whatever works I guess!

I swear by ginersnaps as well. On our first cruise, we hit 18 ft. waves in the Atlantic. All my friends (including my best friend, my DH) who had previously mocked me for bringing cookies along were devouring them. They worked for everybody.

Worse case scenario is you have a nice little in-cabin snack if you don't need them for motion sickness.

Benadryl works too but it's not as much fun as the cookies. The wrist accupressure bands work very well although they get a bit tight and annoying after a few hours.

I just purchased a pack of Ginger Altoids yesterday brom Target for $1.44. I sure hope they work because they are about the nastiest thing around!!!!!

I haven't used them for seasickness since I take Bonine and that has always worked. However, I use them for any kind of upset stomach and two work like a charm. I like the taste so that is a plus. I keep a tin with me all the time just in case. I have also given them to other family members for upsets and they say that two work for them also.

I don't get motion sickness, but I love ginger Altoids. Not at all nasty.

If you are looking for more concentrated amounts of ginger try some of the products from the "ginger people" out of Seattle WA. Their products have more natural ginger than cookies or other candies.

From their Web site:

"Ginger and Motion Sickness...

Why is ginger ale served on airplanes? Many studies have shown that ginger eases motion sickness and aids digestion. Commission E (a panel of experts appointed by the German equivalent of the FDA and considered to be the world’s most reliable source on herbal remedies) recommends consuming ginger to prevent motion sickness. In one study reported in The Lancet, ginger capsules were more effective than Dramamine in reducing motion sickness induced by a revolving chair. It’s no coincidence that ginger ale, as a soothing beverage, has been served on the airlines nearly since the beginning of commercial aviation."

My daughter swears by the baker's cut of their Crystalized Ginger chips (sugar covered dried ginger). They also have ginger chews, hard candy, and ginger drinks. I've also had good luck with the baker's ginger from Penzey's Spices (various locations) and the Spice House (Milwaukee and Evanston IL) - both have mail order.

Teach:

Grin and bear the Altoids - at least you can buy them - they are not available in Canada :(

I see you are off cruising in a few days - have a wonderful time and remember us here on CC - write a review when you return!

Happy Sails!

I didn't even know about the ginger and seasickness. I just bought those ginger Altoids because I love the way they taste.

Totally off the subject, but at our local Cold Stone creamery they have a flavor of ice cream called Wasabe Ginger. I thought it would taste nasty for an ice cream flavor, but it was actually quite tasty.

Archived