Jewel of the Seas 11/16-11/23 Review

Five5

You've already answered one question. Sounds like there was just ONE Muster Drill and it was at 8PM. A few more questions I'm hoping you'll over:

• Which night was the 70s party?
  • Which night was The Quest?
  • Are you able to post any of your Cruise Compasses?

Thanks!!! Subscribing!!

The 70s party was on Day 6.

The Quest was also on Day 6.

I can't scan the compasses I have :( I know familygoboston said she was planning on it! :)

Also I see a lot of people on here asking to see the Cruise Compasses. What is the advantage to seeing these before you get on board?

Although they may change from cruise to cruise it may help some plan a little for the busy nights.

I wanted to post some photos from Day 1 and I created a Flickr account to do so. I followed a post about posting photos and for some reason, I am unable to do so from Flickr.... but for some other reason I am from Facebook photos I posted... Computers, you gotta love them.

Day 2 Tortola

I awoke to look out and see our ship coming into port. I sat on our balcony and was fascinated seeing the steep hills rising from the beaches. Being used to the flat lands next to the Maryland and Virginia beaches I normally go to, it was shocking to see these steep hills, really mountains, next to the waterline and of course the all the homes that were built on the sides.

1452478_10202506414851939_547490270_n.jpg

With our morning Virgin Gorda Baths trip being cancelled, we disembarked and walked outside the terminal where we found an open air taxi driver who offered us a 2-3 our tour of the island for $20. We were joined by a few other couples in a tour which took us to the heights of the island for a number of stops for photos of the nearby islands and our cruise ship.

1426515_10202506414891940_1617740902_n.jpg

We stopped in Cane Garden Bay and stopped by Callwood Distillery and the beach for a short break. The sand was like powder and the water was an incredible shade of blue that I have never seen before. There were some little bars setup along the beach selling rum punch and cold drinks. We found a stand where a man would open a fresh coconut for you to drink the water out of and then he would break it open the rest of the way so you could eat the fresh coconut inside. We both vowed that when we return someday to Tortola that this is where we will come for a day at the beach.

1452429_10202506417452004_1615648185_n.jpg

1470140_10202506417412003_127080083_n.jpg

1472001_10202506417492005_993305713_n.jpg

We returned to the ship and after grabbing lunch met our Norman Island snorkeling excursion where we would be making two stops. Our first stop was where there were a number of caves you could snorkel to... they really didn't go to far in but you could snorkel a bit inside and along the rocky outcroppings to the side. We then stopped inside a nearby bay where there was apparently a bar that had been damaged and they were in the early process of rebuilding. The most amazing thing hear was the stingrays!!! From our boat and the pier you could see the shadows from a distance gliding across the bottom. When we entered the water, it was easy to swim along and spot the stingrays majestically moving across bay weaving in an out of the pier. After following them for bit we searched for the seahorses reportedly in the area of the reef but couldn't find any.

64453_10202506419852064_1543904211_n.jpg

We returned to the ship and because this was the first of the two scheduled formal nights, we saw ate at the Windjammer and then saw the evenings headliner Tony Tillman. An amazing amount of energy he was able to exhibit through the show.

We headed off to bed in anticipation of the next day's stop in in St. Maarten!

So glad to see a review of the itinerary I'll be taking in March! So many questions!! Looking forward to the rest of your review...as well as the one FamilyGoBoston (How about those amazing Red Sox?) is going to post.

You've already answered one question. Sounds like there was just ONE Muster Drill and it was at 8PM. A few more questions I'm hoping you'll over:

• Which night was the 70s party?
  • Which night was The Quest?
  • Are you able to post any of your Cruise Compasses?

Thanks!!! Subscribing!!

I was on Jewel in July 2013 and there were 2 muster drills....we had one at 4:30pm and then another for late arrivals at 8pm, right before sail away.

I know there were two, because we went to the early one, then walked around the ship a little bit more, went back to our cabin to shower before our early dinner seating.

I was on Jewel in July 2013 and there were 2 muster drills....we had one at 4:30pm and then another for late arrivals at 8pm, right before sail away.

I know there were two, because we went to the early one, then walked around the ship a little bit more, went back to our cabin to shower before our early dinner seating.

More recent reports state that this has changed and now there is only one muster drill at 8 PM.

More recent reports state that this has changed and now there is only one muster drill at 8 PM.

For me that would be terrible, with being dressed following early dinner.....obviously they will 'stop any activities' from occurring at that time to have the muster drill take place.

But I have no intention of doing the Southern Caribbean itinerary again in the near future...so it won't affect me, directly.