Help me understand "My Time Dining"

AandBmom

On Carnival and Princess we had My Time Dining and we just showed up b/w the scheduled hours of 5:45 and 8:30ish and were seated just like a normal restaurant. We never had a reservation we just showed up whenever we felt like it. We flew by the seat of our pants basically when it came to dining. If we napped and went later, great, if we were hungry early, great.

I've read comments and noticed on my cruise booking that we can book reservations within our My Time Dining. Is this necessary? Can I not just wait and see how I feel each day and head over to dinner? Is there a benefit to booking in advance? We're a large group of 13 if that matters. We have 4 young children and might need to adjust our dining based on how tired they are or if they napped, etc. Thanks.

It's the same on RCI...Anytime...My Time....whatever. You don't need a reservation! You can show up during the open hours.

However...since you are such a large group, reservations will make your life easier! Just like in any restaurant, large parties are hard to seat...so if they know when you're going to show, they can have a large table ready. Otherwise, there will probably be a wait, until enough tables open up that they can push together to seat you. Plus...with a large party, having a "set" time, will keep everyone on schedule...you know how large groups are! There's always a few who "forget" or can't get ready in time....give them a schedule!!!!!

You don't need to book in advance...you can do it on the ship, or day by day..whatever suits you.

Edited by cb at sea

Our experience is that My Time on RCI is not as good as AnyTime on Princess. As you noted, on Princess you just walk in and are seated...no problems. Royal appears to have this hang up that they like to keep you with the same waiter so every time you arrive, they look up your name in the computer, then look at available tables. If you make reservations, they typically do not take reservations for what we feel is the best time...7pm. (They try to get 2 seating out of every table.)

On one ship, we walked in and we seated at a table where the other diners were eating dessert! Needless to say, we sat alone for the majority of our dinner. On another ship, we walked in and were seated at a table and as others arrived, they were seated there also and we all started dinner together.

With a large group you will fill the table so joining other people should not be a problem, but as noted...you really should at least make a reservation for the first night. Then if you like the table and waiter, ask for that same table every night...if you are 15 minutes later than the reserved time...