Any downside to booking directly with Dolphin Discovery in Cozumel?

pokerpro5

I was told.. They are NOT allowed to book cruise passengers, its the contract they have with the cruise line. ( im on Carnival, so guess thats why the difference) They told me the cruise-lines actually take 75% of there spots. i also was told that if i had to cancel day of because of sick kid etc, they would allow me to rebook within year, which I thought was fair enough as we cruise often enough and there are plenty of locations. The price difference was well worth risk. (also did the father full price, mom and kids half.) We are taking mother in law to take pics from beach with a decent lens.... I really hope she gets some good ones...

Edited by ldock

I booked direct through Dolphin Discovery for our Royal Carribbean cruise a few weeks ago. I had to book direct, as RCCL required one adult in the water with every child under the age of 12. I was traveling with my 9 and 11 year old. DD considers everyone over 4'8" tall to be an adult. We got a great deal online. Full price for the first person and $1 for the second.

It was pouring rain, and the program still ran. We had a fabulous time. We only had four in our group. There really is no free time was the dolphins. Anyone not currently doing an activity with the dolphin was waiting in the water on the ledge. No cameras at all allowed in the water. Pictures were adorable - but cost close to the same as the whole dolphin package. We didn't purchase any. We had two dolphin trainers in the water with us, and they were super knowledgeable and answered all our questions.

Some of our fellow cruisers who booked through the ship where I the water at the same time - they had close to twenty of them per group.

The taxi each way was about $10 plus tip. We didn't eat at the buffet or restaurant - but did grab a snack (fries and drinks) at the small snack bar. The price was very reasonable.

We also enjoyed the snorkeling at Channakab. Despite the rain, the visibility was good.

You are all lined up and down the fence on the walkway in the water like others have stated. Each person takes their turn one at a time so you could definitely all do the same swim time.

Here's my oldest daughter taking her turn during the Royal Swim while everyone else is still lined up:

IMG_1402-L.jpg

Edited by mitsugirly

Here's a video of her doing the push while the others wait along the side (click on the picture):

MVI_1404-M.jpg

They also let them go in with the manatees (just like they let us do it too when we did the Encounter)

IMG_1406-L.jpg

This is what it looks like when you are lined up and down the pier in the water while each takes turns to do their swim:

IMG_5859-L.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I booked a off cruise ship dolphin swim adventure at Chankanaab Park yesterday. I will be arriving via Carnival cruise line. I tried to book through the dolphin discovery website and since I said I was arriving with Carnival, it wouldn't let me book. So I changed it to Hotel, and listed a Hotel in Cozumel and got my reservation. NOW, I'm having second thoughts. Does anyone see any problem with this?

Nervous Brad

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I booked a off cruise ship dolphin swim adventure at Chankanaab Park yesterday. I will be arriving via Carnival cruise line. I tried to book through the dolphin discovery website and since I said I was arriving with Carnival, it wouldn't let me book. So I changed it to Hotel, and listed a Hotel in Cozumel and got my reservation. NOW, I'm having second thoughts. Does anyone see any problem with this?

Nervous Brad

Carnival has an exclusive deal with Chankanaab, which is why you can't book directly with Chank if they know you are on a Carnival ship. What most people do that book, when they are on Carnival, is exactly what you did...use the name of a hotel or the name of one of the other non-Carnival ships that will be there that day.

Thanks Mitsugirly. (You are quite helpful on these boards, and your reviews are excellent). I feel better now knowing others have done the same thing.

Relieved

Brad

You are very welcome. I hope you have a wonderful time. :)

• 1 month later...
Carnival has an exclusive deal with Chankanaab, which is why you can't book directly with Chank if they know you are on a Carnival ship. What most people do that book, when they are on Carnival, is exactly what you did...use the name of a hotel or the name of one of the other non-Carnival ships that will be there that day.

I understand this contract but I have a few questions hopefully you can help with or someone else with knowledge of the place. When I pretend to book the royal swim on DD's website, it allows me to select the Carnival ship we're on and I can go to the next page where you pay. I stopped there because we aren't ready to book yet but if I would have entered my credit card info there and submitted, that is where it would have informed me that I can't book bc of Carnival? Seems it would alert me of that on there website when I select carnival, but before going to the payment page, if that makes any sense.

Now, if I do have to book and say I'm on a different line or a hotel, is there any risk any doing that? I would hate to be out of $300-400 dollars or more bc of this.

UPDATE:

Strange.... but after typing this post, I went to DD again and tried to book and the booking page looks a tad different now and that was only about a week ago that I tried before. Anyway, now if I select Carnival, Disney, or Celebrity it wont allow me to pay. I would have swore that it was allowing payment earlier this week when I looked but maybe not. By the way, only my ship and one other, Disney, will be in port that day so booking with Disney seems to be out now. Looks like we may go with a hotel

Edited by YaWk3Y_BoMb3r
More information

So I want to book online for the royal swim and I'm on carnival, the price difference is HUGE, did anyone have any trouble when they put in a hotel in Cozumel instead of listing the cruise line? I hate to be dishonest but on carnival its $400 and if I book straight through them its only $250 with pictures! Big difference. thanks in advance for help

We booked directly and did the royal swim just took a taxi from port it was choppy that day so all tours booked through the cruise were cancelled. We loved it we bought the video etc loved it

How much was the video? Was it one price for all the participants in your family? Thanks!

Has anyone had any issues saying they are staying at a hotel but really booking from a Carnival cruise? Also has anyone purchased the photo bucks online to get a discount? If so did it work out ok?

Hi and welcome to Cruise Critic!

I was going to tell you that this is NCL subboard but it seems that moderators have moved this thread from NCL board to a different place. :D

You should post your Carnival related questions to Carnival board: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215

I also have questions about this.. we are going on an NCL cruise in November and would love to book independently- and are also wondering about the "photo credits"... $40 of credit for $33, so not a great deal, but every little bit helps... has anyone used this?

Also, on TA it looks like there's a really wide range of what people are reporting is the cost of the photo CD- anyone want to share what they paid? I'm seeing anywhere from about $120 to $250 OR MORE.... do they somehow charge per person?