Any downside to booking directly with Dolphin Discovery in Cozumel?

pokerpro5

I'm strongly considering going to Chankanaab, thanks to mitsugirly's excellent reviews of both Chankanaab Park and the dolphin experience there.

However, I don't want to book through the ship. They don't even offer the best dolphin swim (the "royal swim"), and even the ones they do offer seem to be marked up. While they provide transportation and food, I found that I could get the "Dolphin Swim" (the middle tier experience) for $222 for 2 adults and a child directly through the park, while it would be $318 through the ship. Transportation should only be $20-$25 round trip, and I can't imagine the lousy all-inclusive food being worth the difference.

Is there something I'm missing here, or is this simply a case where you can save money doing the same thing by not using NCL to book excursions?

I'm strongly considering going to Chankanaab, thanks to mitsugirly's excellent reviews of both Chankanaab Park and the dolphin experience there.

However, I don't want to book through the ship. They don't even offer the best dolphin swim (the "royal swim"), and even the ones they do offer seem to be marked up. While they provide transportation and food, I found that I could get the "Dolphin Swim" (the middle tier experience) for $222 for 2 adults and a child directly through the park, while it would be $318 through the ship. Transportation should only be $20-$25 round trip, and I can't imagine the lousy all-inclusive food being worth the difference.

Is there something I'm missing here, or is this simply a case where you can save money doing the same thing by not using NCL to book excursions?

both times we have done the park, we did it on our own. This does not mean we never book through a cruise line, we do. We have booked an excursion in Cartagena through NCL for our cruise in a couple of weeks. It depends on so many things, whether it is better to do your own or with the ship.

Edited by newmexicoNita

both times we have done the park, we did it on our own. This does not mean we never book through a cruise line, we do. We have booked an excursion in Cartagena through NCL for our cruise in a couple of weeks. It depends on so many things, whether it is better to do your own or with the ship.

100% agree with the statement above.

Am I better off doing the current 25% off "web special" for the park, or are the prices at the gate significantly cheaper?

We booked on our own and promotions online are best price you can get, no discounts at the gate - although one nice lady (also a customer) in our queue gave us their extra coupons printed from the net to get few bucks off the entrance fee for those not participating in dolphin discovery.

In this case..book independently

We used to always book through the ship but have learned to only do it selectively now.

We are on the Jewel in Jan and all but one of our shore excursions are independant.

The one we booked through NCL is at a tender port in Belize, and is a long day so upon advice on cc and my own research we decided for this particular excursion, at this particular port it will be safest for us to book with the cruise line...to ensure we are back to the ship on time and if not to ensure the tender boat will be held for us.

For Costa Maya ...the eco park is very close to port, only about a 10-20 min taxi ride, you have a full day in port, taxis readily available etc...it's a no brainer..save the money for something else fo rthe kids :)

We are doing the ATV tour when in Cozumel ..booked independently and they are going to drop us off at Money bar on the way back to the port..saving us cab fare one way. We will have lunch, snorkel/swim and then grab a cab back to the ship. Easy peasy and saving us a LOT of money and time..which when in port is more valuable than money in many cases...we would not have enough time to do the afternoon snorkeling if we booked with the ship and had to wait for their time frame.

Have fun at the park...we plan to do a full day there next time we are in Cozumel :D

Bottom line is that excursions booked through the ship will always be marked up. That's how they make their portion of the money.

The only real reason to do excursions through the ship is that when you are booked through the ship, if for some reason you are late returning, the ship will wait for you. If you book on your own, and miss the sailing, you're on your own to catch up with the ship at the next port.

As mentioned above, booking through the ship can be an asset in tender ports such as Belize. In addition, the ship will know what excursion you're on, and will know how to get in touch with the tour operator to find out where you are, and when you'll be back at the ship.

All that being said, I suspect very few tour/excursion operators will have you late back to the ship, because they depend on their reputation with the cruise lines to stay in business. So you're pretty safe booking independently through the established tour/excursion operators, and you'll save that markup fee.

We did the tour in Belize a few years ago, and booked through ncl because of it being such a long tour, and tendering and we were worried about making it back on time.

We ended up have problems with the motor on our tour and for a while it looked like we might not make it back in time for the last tender! The rep from ncl that was on the boat with us said we would have to meet up with the ship the next day in Mexico if we did not make it back in time. He said that the ship cannot wait too long as it costs more money for them to be there in port and delays them so they need to speed up which also costs more.

We did end up making it back to the ship in time thank goodness! But I too was under the impression that booking directly with ncl would make it a safer option as far as not missing the ship!

We booked directly and did the royal swim just took a taxi from port it was choppy that day so all tours booked through the cruise were cancelled. We loved it we bought the video etc loved it

If booking ahead independently, what if ship ends up not making port because of weather? I would assume you don't get refund and this is another benefit to booking with NCL. Of course you could also wait to pay at gate...

Every independent tour operator we've used will give full refund if the ship doesn't call the port for some reason - as said in an earlier post, they depend on their reputation and denying refund in a case like that would be really bad for their business.

Edited by Demonyte

Use Chankanaab's website and book ahead, they have a great refund policy and are super easy to work with. You will love it there... We went on a land trip and it was in late June during rainy season, and even though it poured the experience was great! We did the royal swim, and then they took us to go pet the manatees too as a surprise. Check out the free sea lion show... It was super cute and good for a few laughs! And the food there was surprisingly good!

Enjoy your trip!

So I just had a fairly strange experience with them (Discovery) on the phone.

Booking through NCL is pretty much impossible for me (even if I wanted to) because the NCL bookings don't allow kids under 5, where Discovery itself does. We have a 10-year-old and a 3-year-old.

This will be for Cozumel.

There is a deal on the website right now (through Nov 30) where the father pays full price, the mother pays 50%, the kids pay 50%. The one restriction is that everyone has to do the same program. They will allow the 3-year-old in any of the programs, but he will only do the equivalent of the Dolphin Encounter (which is fine).

They also offered me 30% off everyone if we choose to do different programs, which is better than the 25% off currently offered on the website.

From what I calculated, if we all do the Dolphin Swim (the middle one), it will be $242.50 total, compared to $416 total from NCL (and that's assuming NCL would indeed book the 3-year-old). So it's a no brainer which way to go.

The Royal Swim is only available through Discovery, not through NCL, and if we all did that, the cost would be $287.50.

Now here's the strange part:

I asked about cancellation.

I was told that we have until four days prior to cancel, but we only get a 90% refund. Lame, but not a deal breaker, because we probably won't cancel, and we're only risking 10%.

However, I asked about the weather. If it rains but they are still running the programs, we don't get a refund, which is understandable. If the weather is terrible and THEY cancel the programs, I still get no refund, but instead get some lame voucher to use within a year!

Obviously I objected to this, at which point the rep quickly changed tune and claimed I would get a "full refund" if they canceled. I asked why she told me something different just a minute before, and she claimed, "Well, we have lots of refund options in this case."

What?!

So now I'll admit I am a bit nervous that she's telling me what I want to hear in order to make a sale, and then I won't get a refund if they cancel it due to weather.

Also, I lied about the cruise situation. They asked if I was on a cruise ship, and I said no, assuming they would refuse to sell me packages directly if I admitted I was coming from a cruise. Did I do the right thing? Obviously this would remove my ability to cancel if the cruise doesn't make it in.

Will they still book for you if you are on a cruise ship?

If so, will they give a refund (and not just a lame voucher) if the ship can't make it to port?

I think they ask you that because if for some reason the ship doesnt stop or something then its an automatic refund....not positive but I booked online so not sure about all that other stuff. It is an awesome place. We had a great time not just the dolphin swim but the whole area is cool to check out.

For us we had no issues and the weather was not great but the water was warm and the dolphins were amazing.

I would just call back and tell them you are on a cruise Im sure you wont get the same person?? They dont care if you are on a cruiseship they just want your money ;)

However, I asked about the weather. If it rains but they are still running the programs, we don't get a refund, which is understandable. If the weather is terrible and THEY cancel the programs, I still get no refund, but instead get some lame voucher to use within a year!

Perhaps they try to give the voucher option to people who aren't cruisers, and thus are likely to be there longer. If you had told them the truth they might not have tried that.

I agree a voucher would be almost useless for any cruiser.

Also, to the poster above who said the ship might not wait for their late NCL-sponsored tour:

- Does NCL pay for the transportation and hotel if your tour misses the ship?

"Most" of the time, booking independently saves you a lot of money (unless there's an alternative reason, like going to Bannister Island in Belize because it picks you up directly from the ship).

This is SO easy to do and the cabs are SO plentiful there. They have this system worked out to the max. With their walkie talkie system at the front gate calling cabs over, there's always someone waiting on you in the parking lot.

Also, if you are sailing with NCL, watch for the specials that DD runs. They do it all the time where you can buy 1 ticket and get the second for only $1 saving even more money. This is what we have done in the past. :)

"Most" of the time, booking independently saves you a lot of money (unless there's an alternative reason, like going to Bannister Island in Belize because it picks you up directly from the ship).

This is SO easy to do and the cabs are SO plentiful there. They have this system worked out to the max. With their walkie talkie system at the front gate calling cabs over, there's always someone waiting on you in the parking lot.

Also, if you are sailing with NCL, watch for the specials that DD runs. They do it all the time where you can buy 1 ticket and get the second for only $1 saving even more money. This is what we have done in the past. :)

mitsu, I need your advice, and quick...

I posted above about the offers that currently exist with Dolphin Discoveries. Until November 30, we can either have a blanket 30% off, or 50% off an adult and two kids if the other adult pays 100% (works out to around a 35% discount in most cases).

These are both inferior to what you described above, which is essentially 50% off tickets for two.

We will be there on December 24. On December 1, they are trashing the November offers and coming up with new promos. Since I can't cancel without losing 10%, I have to make a decision whether I want to book with these offers, or chance that the December ones are better.

While I'm obviously not asking you to guarantee anything, do you think the offers will be even better in December, or is it too close to the date, to where I will get inferior offers?

What would you do in my spot? I am asking you because you have done this before and would know better.

Edited by pokerpro5

Often, places have exclusive contracts with a cruise-line. So if they know you are coming in on cruise-line xxxxxxxxxxx, they may not be willing to sell you a ticket independently.

However, in all honesty, it is difficult for them to know if you are coming in on a ship. Just don't carry your cruise-lines's towels openly.

mitsu, I need your advice, and quick...

I posted above about the offers that currently exist with Dolphin Discoveries. Until November 30, we can either have a blanket 30% off, or 50% off an adult and two kids if the other adult pays 100% (works out to around a 35% discount in most cases).

These are both inferior to what you described above, which is essentially 50% off tickets for two.

We will be there on December 24. On December 1, they are trashing the November offers and coming up with new promos. Since I can't cancel without losing 10%, I have to make a decision whether I want to book with these offers, or chance that the December ones are better.

While I'm obviously not asking you to guarantee anything, do you think the offers will be even better in December, or is it too close to the date, to where I will get inferior offers?

What would you do in my spot? I am asking you because you have done this before and would know better.

Ok, I'm "trying" to remember the specials. It's been awhile since I read into them deeply. However, for some reason, I keep thinking that they offer the buy one, get one a lot and I keep thinking that it's has to be booked out so far in advance. However, I can't confirm that because on the other hand, I think the last one we booked, we were only 3 months out and didn't decide until about a month prior...so it might not be true.

IMO, honestly, if it was me, I would go ahead and book at the best rate they are giving you now. But that's just me. I would be afraid of loosing out on the deal they are offering for a better one. If you are happy with the money you would be saving by booking with them compared to NCL, then you really have nothing to loose.

I do remember them telling us that if it needed to be cancelled, then we got a voucher coupon to use within 1 year as well. We weren't too worried because we knew we'd be back before that.

I would however, be worried about them telling you that you can do any of the swims with the 3 year old (and them just doing the normal stuff). Their website clearly states you have to be 8 years old to do the royal and I remember when we booked, they told us they would not allow our (then 3 year old) to do anything but that and we had to be with her (at least 1 paying adult).

As for telling them that you are on a ship...you are on NCL right? That won't matter if so. You can tell them. The only ship (that I'm aware of) that you are not allowed to book directly with them is Carnival. They have a contract with Carnival and if you tell them you are coming in on any of their ships, they will not allow you to book. (You have to tell them you are staying on the island or coming in on a different ship that's there that day). So no worries. :)

I have a question about booking the Dolphin Discovery online. I went through and booked it, thought it went through, but I have not received a confirmation email and my credit card has not been charged.

Do they normally charge your credit care at the time of booking?? Do they send a confirmation email like most places do??

I'm thinking maybe there was some kind of glitch and my reservation didn't go through.

Thanks!!!

Ok, I'm "trying" to remember the specials. It's been awhile since I read into them deeply. However, for some reason, I keep thinking that they offer the buy one, get one a lot and I keep thinking that it's has to be booked out so far in advance. However, I can't confirm that because on the other hand, I think the last one we booked, we were only 3 months out and didn't decide until about a month prior...so it might not be true.

IMO, honestly, if it was me, I would go ahead and book at the best rate they are giving you now. But that's just me. I would be afraid of loosing out on the deal they are offering for a better one. If you are happy with the money you would be saving by booking with them compared to NCL, then you really have nothing to loose.

I do remember them telling us that if it needed to be cancelled, then we got a voucher coupon to use within 1 year as well. We weren't too worried because we knew we'd be back before that.

I would however, be worried about them telling you that you can do any of the swims with the 3 year old (and them just doing the normal stuff). Their website clearly states you have to be 8 years old to do the royal and I remember when we booked, they told us they would not allow our (then 3 year old) to do anything but that and we had to be with her (at least 1 paying adult).

As for telling them that you are on a ship...you are on NCL right? That won't matter if so. You can tell them. The only ship (that I'm aware of) that you are not allowed to book directly with them is Carnival. They have a contract with Carnival and if you tell them you are coming in on any of their ships, they will not allow you to book. (You have to tell them you are staying on the island or coming in on a different ship that's there that day). So no worries. :)

OK thanks for the info!

I think I will book in November and then call in to change it if the prices changes (in our favor). The rep I spoke to claimed that we could make free changes after booking, as long as we didn't cancel.

I will definitely VERIFY that my son can do the "Encounter" program while in the water for the Royal Swim. Sounded strange to me, too, as an adult would have to stay with him on the side despite being enrolled in the Royal... so how would that work? It's not like we can just leave him on the side by himself as we all go out there.

The truth is that it almost breaks out the same as if I pay to do the Dolphin Encounter (in addition to my own Royal Swim) and then just get him in for free to the Dolphin Encounter. However I would prefer we do it all at once, instead of having to do a second program with him while the other two people wait.

I will definitely VERIFY that my son can do the "Encounter" program while in the water for the Royal Swim. Sounded strange to me, too, as an adult would have to stay with him on the side despite being enrolled in the Royal... so how would that work? It's not like we can just leave him on the side by himself as we all go out there.

The 8-15 people walk onto the dock, and down some stairs/ladder. There is an underwater walkway about 3-4 ft deep, along the long side of the lagoon. So most people are waist-chest deep in water. They start with the people on one-end, and run thru the dolphin activities. One person might be able to be at the end, and one in the center, and pass the child back and forth?

You are only actually swimming for a short period of time, one person at a time.

I just called tonight.

Here's what I was told:

- Yes, you are allowed to book directly as a Norwegian passenger

- If my ship doesn't make dock, I get a 90% refund (pretty weak, to be honest... should be 100%)

- If my ship docks but THEY cancel the program due to weather or whatever, I get 100% refund

- If my ship docks and the weather sucks, but they don't cancel anything, I am entitled to no refund

- I am allowed to take my 3-year-old into the pool for Royal Swim. However, this requires TWO paying adults, where one sits with him on the side the whole time, and they switch off when necessary. He also has to pay the regular child's rate. I decided against this, for obvious reasons.

- They have a special until November 30th where, if everyone in the family is doing the same program at the same time, the father pays 100%, the mother pays 50%, and the kids each pay 50%. This usually breaks down to around a 35% discount overall. However, you can't do this if you are splitting up into different programs or different times.

- There is a special today and tomorrow (last day Nov 30th) where it's just 30% off everything for everyone.

- If I discover a better deal on December 1, and I've already booked, my only option is to cancel for a 10% penalty, and rebook. So if the deal isn't WAY better, it's not worth doing, obviously.

- If I change ANYTHING, it's considered a cancellation and rebook, and I will pay a 10% penalty. I didn't ask if this applies to simply changing the time, and leaving the actual programs the same.

- No cameras are allowed at all, including waterproof cameras in the water! This contradicts what I have read out here. Can someone please clarify?

So I think my only real choice here is to split our party, where I do the Royal Swim by myself at 11am, and then at 1pm, I will take the 3-year-old into the Encounter (where I pay $55 and he gets in free), and the other two members of my family go into the Royal Swim. But I hate having to split the family up twice, so this option kinda sucks too.

I can't think of a better way to do this. In fact, I can't even do it back-to-back at 11am and 12pm, because the Royal Swim takes 55 minutes total, so I wouldn't likely be done in time to do the Encounter again at 12.

I can only tell you that no cameras are allowed for sure. They take pictures and sell them afterward to you. Their pics are really good, the price for them is outrageous.

I can tell you we did the royal swim with our then 8 year old. There are not any times I can think of that one of you wouldn't be on the side with your 3 year old anyway. They have you go out for each component 1 at a time anyway. Of course my 8 year old was allowed to do each component, but she declined the foot push as it looked too fast and scary (I thought for sure I was going to slam into the side of the boardwalk!! Of course it was fine)... But she did the fin pull, the rock and kiss, and everything else.

The weather poured on us the whole time, and it was fine, wouldn't do back and change any part of the day!

I can only tell you that no cameras are allowed for sure. They take pictures and sell them afterward to you. Their pics are really good, the price for them is outrageous.

I can tell you we did the royal swim with our then 8 year old. There are not any times I can think of that one of you wouldn't be on the side with your 3 year old anyway. They have you go out for each component 1 at a time anyway. Of course my 8 year old was allowed to do each component, but she declined the foot push as it looked too fast and scary (I thought for sure I was going to slam into the side of the boardwalk!! Of course it was fine)... But she did the fin pull, the rock and kiss, and everything else.

The weather poured on us the whole time, and it was fine, wouldn't do back and change any part of the day!

So just to be 100% sure I understand, you're saying that there is no "group" part of the program, where one adult is left behind for something? You're all sitting on the side waiting for each person to be called individually to spend time with the dolphins?

What about the alleged "free time" you get with the dolphins? Is that a load of bull?

I would much rather all 4 of us are there together, and in fact that would make me more comfortable not purchasing any pictures, since we would all get to see and remember each other in the water. I am familiar with the super-ripoff picture prices, and want to avoid buying any on principle alone.

Why do I keep reading posts from people talking about their underwater camera they were allowed to take in? Did that policy change?

We just did this last summer... you all go out on the dock together and down the stairs into the water. Then you stand on the side (I am on the short side, and thank goodness for the life vests because it was up to my shoulders and you are in the ocean, so there is a current pulling and pushing on you, but there is a chain-link fence behind you in the water to help anchor you), then they had the dolphins swim by us all and we put our hand out to pet them... that was pretty much the only "group" activity. After that you are called out 1 at a time to do the next activity. They always asked who wanted to go 1st... my daughter actually went first on the fin pull. And everyone gets a chance that wants to go. One lady in our group was terrified and just hung on to the fence the whole time and watched her family.

The whole time they are telling you dolphin facts and trivia and it was very educational too.

I have no idea on the underwater camera. I know we were told no pictures... not even from the dock. We did take some from shore, but those are not good close up photos.

I think the "free time" is when they have the dolphins swimming around and showing some of their training "tricks." Which aren't tricks per say, but ways they get the dolphins to do certain things for examination purposes. At no time is it "free swim" with the dolphins.

Edited by Kierste