IConcierge info from Breakaway Nov 17-24

dcollette

Just a couple of notes for anyone considering using the iconcierge app. We have a galaxy SIII, a galaxy SII and an HTC One. We never had an issue staying connected to the ship's wifi and the app.

I was curious, and for others who may want to know--if you choose to pay to be able to use the calling and texting feature, you CAN give them your info at splash academy so they can get in touch with you if they need to. I was unable to find this information out before we left, and it is another option for people. Yes, they will give you a pager in splash academy (no charge) if you request it.

We loved the app, it also has the freestyle daily on it for activities, which made it wonderful, so we didn't have to carry around the paper, and highlight and all of that mess. We just simply set alerts on our phones for the times and locations of the activities we wanted to hit. The app was super helpful, my account status was updated immediately, which made it super easy to keep on top of our spending. We made reservations for dinner with the app, everything worked great. Perhaps they have made some tweaks to the system, I don't know, but we never encountered a problem with it, and absolutely loved using it. Oh, and getting connected to the free part of it was super easy!

Any questions please feel free to ask!!

Thanks for posting, hope you had a great cruise. We're on 12/1 and I have a question re app. Have it downloaded on my Droid. I don't want to pay for internet. How do you use the free iConcierge without incurring charges on your phone? I don't want the internet nor have the need to be connected but thought the app might be useful. What phone setting do you use?

Thanks for posting, hope you had a great cruise. We're on 12/1 and I have a question re app. Have it downloaded on my Droid. I don't want to pay for internet. How do you use the free iConcierge without incurring charges on your phone? I don't want the internet nor have the need to be connected but thought the app might be useful. What phone setting do you use?

I used the app on the Breakaway for the 11/10 sailing...they instruct you to keep the phone on "airplane mode" with your wifi connected to avoid incurring charges.

IMO, the app was not all that impressive and I don't think I would use it ever again.

I used the app on the Breakaway for the 11/10 sailing...they instruct you to keep the phone on "airplane mode" with your wifi connected to avoid incurring charges.

IMO, the app was not all that impressive and I don't think I would use it ever again.

Droids are all different - but most phones apple & droids airplane mode will shut off wifi - just make sure celluar data option is off.

If you want to be extra careful - stop all apps from running in the background (on droids you can use advanced app killer) and change the settings on your email to push only so they don't auto check for incoming messages.

The phone store you bought the phone from should be able to show you these settings.

Thanks for this review! I think this app will be very useful.

For those with iPhone/iPod Touch:

1. Settings > General > Airplane Mode > turn this ON (green)

2. Settings > General > Wi-Fi > turn this ON (green)

3. Still in Wi-Fi, tap Norwegian_iConcierge (if you're on Epic) OR NCL_Internet_Breakaway (if you're on Breakaway)

4. Register device :)

I read on NCL's website that iConcierge does not work with the new iOS for the iPhones/iPads. Does anyone have any recent experience of this?

I just sailed 11/10 and we were able to use it on iPhone 5s and 4Ss with the latest software...no problems

Carnival Destiny 1998

Carnival Legend 2000

RC Voyager of the Seas 2003

Norwegian Dawn 2006

Crown Princess 2007

Norwegian Breakaway 11/10/13

I just sailed 11/10 and we were able to use it on iPhone 5s and 4Ss with the latest software...no problems

Carnival Destiny 1998

Carnival Legend 2000

RC Voyager of the Seas 2003

Norwegian Dawn 2006

Crown Princess 2007

Norwegian Breakaway 11/10/13

Awesome! Great to hear. Thank you!!

would i be able to use an app like Pandora while in airplane mode and wifi enabled without incurring any fees?

No, any app that needs data will not work in iConcierge.

Although curiously last week when we used it notifications would work such as text alerts and news updates but only within notification center.