Anytime Dining - 2 Top Table Suggestions

ctemkg

Hi. I usually cruise solo and go for Anytime Dining. Most of the time, I eat right when the dining room opens for dinner (usually am at the front of the line at the door). On numerous Carnival trips, there has never been a problem with the staff seating me at a 2 top table.

I just came back from my first Princess cruise. Even with my being first in the line when the MDR opens, getting a small table was very difficult. Most of the days, I had to wait 30-60 minutes with a pager to be seated.

I had some throat surgery a while back that resulted in my having difficulty speaking while eating, so I sort of use the meals as my non social time to allow my throat to rest and recover. Sitting at a large table with a big group and not talking makes everyone at the table seem uncomfortable, so I choose just to sit by myself for meals. I have the rest of the day, non mealtimes, to be socialable with people and take advantage of that time.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can be seated at one of the smaller tables? I never did understand how no smaller tables were available when I was the first person in line for dinner. I know on Carnival, this was never a problem. I have another Princess cruise in 2 weeks and would like to figure this out. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sorry I can't give any suggestions because we had absolutely no problem getting a table for two when we cruised on the Island Princess a couple years ago. We ate 9 out of 10 nights at a table for two and never waited more than 15 minutes or so. Usually, we were seated right away.

Speak with the headwaiter or the Matre d'. Explain the reasons that you prefer to eat solo and see if something can be arranged for you.
This. :)

When you board, go to the Maitre d' and explain your request. There'll be a notice in the Patter on embarkation day, usually in the list of dining rooms and times. Chances are, he'll be able to pre-reserve a table for you at a particular time every night.

Depending on the ship, there should be two Anytime dining rooms. Make sure you go to the one that does not have an early Traditional seating... it'll be empty.

It did not occur to me that there may be two Anytime dining rooms. On my first Princess cruise last month where I had to wait each time was on the Golden. I just went to the Anytime dining room listed on my S&S card. I did not check to see if there was another Anytime dining room.

My next Princess cruise is on the Sapphire. I will keep the two rooms in mind and also take the other suggestions to talk to the Maitre d' and see if they can do something.

Even though I was inline (at the head of the line) by 5:15-5:30, I waited and was given a pager almost every night. Interesting that other comments here mention they rarely wait and have never been given a pager. I guess it just worked out that on my cruise, this time was very popular and busy.

Thanks for all the tips.

Edited by ctemkg

I frequently travel solo and have never had a problem getting a table for one. No questions asked. I usually try to eat before 6.

I also travel by myself and dinner is me time; like you, I've never had a problem getting a table by myself. I'm usually in line before the doors open at 5:30 and I'm sure that helps. I've never been given a pager and told I have to wait for a table.

Edited by Treven

My next Princess cruise is on the Sapphire. I will keep the two rooms in mind and also take the other suggestions to talk to the Maitre d' and see if they can do something.

The Sapphire, IIRC, has 4 Anytime dining rooms.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Wow. We're going on the Golden in December. We normally went with Anytime on the Crown Princess and Diamond Princess and never had a problem getting a table for 2 at 5:30 PM. But I just noticed the dining room option for our December cruise on Golden has openings for 5:30 PM Traditional seating so I just selected that option. Oddly, that option (Traditional Dining table for 2) was not initially available when I made my reservation for this cruise a few months ago.

I just went to the Anytime dining room listed on my S&S card. I did not check to see if there was another Anytime dining room.

If you have Anytime dining, there's no dining room listed on your cruise card. The dining rooms and times are listed in the Patter in your cabin when you embark. The Anytime dining rooms are those in the middle of the ship, on decks 5 and 6.

The Sapphire and Diamond have a slightly different design. Instead of the two large Anytime dining rooms, each was split into two so there are four smaller Anytime dining rooms. The space is the same. Originally, they each had a different menu based on a theme: Mexican, Italian, Pacific and American. Within a few months, that was changed so they all have the same menu. However, you can order any one of the original theme dishes in any of the dining rooms, among them fajitas, ossa bucco, etc.

The Diamond is scheduled to get the upgraded Horizon Court, Alfredo's, etc. next year.

Edited by Pam in CA

If you have Anytime dining, there's no dining room listed on your cruise card. The dining rooms and times are listed in the Patter in your cabin when you embark. The Anytime dining rooms are those in the middle of the ship, on decks 5 and 6.

The Sapphire and Diamond have a slightly different design. Instead of the two large Anytime dining rooms, each was split into two so there are four smaller Anytime dining rooms. The space is the same. Originally, they each had a different menu based on a theme: Mexican, Italian, Pacific and American. Within a few months, that was changed so they all have the same menu. However, you can order any one of the original theme dishes in any of the dining rooms, among them fajitas, ossa bucco, etc.

The Diamond is scheduled to get the upgraded Horizon Court, Alfredo's, etc. next year.

I must be the only person who loved the original dining arrangement on the Diamond and Sapphire. I realize that they had problems with logistics, as Traditional Diners kept coming to those dining rooms to get the "ambiance."

I must be the only person who loved the original dining arrangement on the Diamond and Sapphire. I realize that they had problems with logistics, as Traditional Diners kept coming to those dining rooms to get the "ambiance."

The "ambiance" still exists.

The only difference netween then and now is that all dining rooms have the same dinner menu now. The one special dish that remains for each anytime DR can be ordered in any of the dining rooms.

Speak with the headwaiter or the Matre d'. Explain the reasons that you prefer to eat solo and see if something can be arranged for you.

After I board, I will plan on speaking with the headwaiter or Matre d'. Where and when do I go to speak to these people?

After I board, I will plan on speaking with the headwaiter or Matre d'. Where and when do I go to speak to these people?

from Pam above: "There'll be a notice in the Patter on embarkation day, usually in the list of dining rooms and times. Chances are, he'll be able to pre-reserve a table for you at a particular time every night."

If you do not see the Matre d' as in the previous post, you can ask to see the headwaiter in your preferred dining room when it is open for dinner.