Pet sitters - in home - how did you decide?

ariawoman

Check with a local vet, not just your own. Check Yelp, sometimes that can help. And, finally, just do a Google search for your area for pet sitters. It's how I found mine and they're awesome.

And if you were in the Chicago area, I would pass along my pet sitter's name.

Yeah I did that. Her immediate interaction was exactly as you mentioned. Very slow, took her time, extended an arm, let her sniff her but that freaked her out since she prob smells like other animals lol.

All in all the visit went very well, i got to know her and where she works aside from the pet sitting (she has a PT thing that used to be FT until pet sitting became her life), I asked her about signs the cat was in shock (which she did get correct), and just kinda went with the flow. I am going to contact some references before I hand over the key, but I felt really comfortable and at ease with her.

here's hoping my cat will be able to deal...since she's still in hiding 4 hours later lol

Trust your mother's intuition. If you feel good about the petsitter, that's your answer.

Trust your mother's intuition. If you feel good about the petsitter, that's your answer.

My mother's intuition (even though I'm only a cat mom lol) is that the girl is legit and she's very caring for animals. I just worry how my baby will do this long by herself. First time ever in her 14 years!

In may it'll be even longer! Ugh! lol

I did call a reference too and she had nothing but good things to say about the girl I've chosen, and she's used her for about 5 years now, with a diabetic cat, so, I guess I know as much as I can for now!

Edited by ariawoman

My mother's intuition (even though I'm only a cat mom lol) is that the girl is legit and she's very caring for animals. I just worry how my baby will do this long by herself. First time ever in her 14 years!

I'm only a cat mom, too. I'm leaving my 13 year old "alone" for 15 days this month as I cruise and then celebrate the holidays away from home. A friend of mine will stop by often and spend the night. I was really worried about the best decision for her, too. The alternative was to be part of the plan for my other 3 cats which included two 300 mile driving trips and then being at my parents' home with their 3 cats for those 15 days. This cat is not a fan of other cats...

Though she's my "baby," she is a lot hardier than I think! When I saw my friend on her hands and knees trying to make friends with my cat who is a one-person cat (and I'm that person), I knew I made the best decision for her (even though my cat was not happy with the situation). Both of our cats will be just fine. :)

We're listed on a home exchange website and for the next cruise I have found a lovely couple who are from England (we're Australian) who were happy to mind our dogs while using our home. We probably won't even stay at their place but the option is there for in the future if we need to. We've done this before and I always get them to sign an agreement as well as my parents picking them up from the airport. I also get to know them beforehand too via Skype etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We also found our wonderful cat-sitter through our vet. Our original cat sitter was actually a vet technician who worked for our vet...

Indeed, ask your vet and neighbors for recommendations on an established care giver. My daughter was a vet tech who, with her husband, successfully established a home pet care business some years ago. She is well known in the local animal care community - no advertising and fully booked. Her business has always been predicated on a good, strong relationship between her, the pet and the client. If your pet has special needs, and especially older animals, be certain to ask about one's experience administering meds and recognizing the signs of potential distress. Many animals suffer from separation anxiety, some very severely. It's about more than just feeding and relieving.

I have a friend I've known for over ten years, he house sits on any trip I take where my son is coming with me. He first only had my terrier to take care of, but for the last 3 years he has also cared for the new addition to the family - a chihuahua with some medical issues. Also the high strung chihuahua personality, the little guy is a "tough crowd" and does not take to people naturally like the terrier.

I know I can trust him in my house as well as to take good care of my dogs. I know they will be much more at ease in their own home than being boarded at a kennel. He even drops us off / picks us up from the airport if his work schedule allows. Ends up saving a lot of money for me over boarding, better for my dogs, and he & his partner like staying at my house. It's a win / win all the way around.

He is part of my vacation routine now - I have to know he is available before I commit to a cruise, certainly before buying airline tickets.

I did call a reference too and she had nothing but good things to say about the girl I've chosen, and she's used her for about 5 years now, with a diabetic cat, so, I guess I know as much as I can for now!

One of the head techs at my animal hospital house sits for me and only one other family. I've had her for years, with sick pets, healthy ones and some that got sick in her care. I would never trade her for the world and treat her very well.

Trust your instincts and referrals. Maybe before your travels you can have her come over and take care of your baby as a test run. That way they can both be more familiar with each other, and see if any questions arise.

Best of luck in your pursuit, it's always a delicate situation leaving any of your beloved babies in someone else's care.

I've hired a professional and it worked out great. Now, however, I hire the neighbor's teenage daughter, who stays overnight with our pets at our request. We have two dogs and a cat. If I had cats alone, I wouldn't ask someone to stay the night. Dogs have different needs than cats. We couldn't be happier with our pet sitter. They're all happy and healthy, and our home is looked after and lived in while we're away. I feel less uneasy about being robbed while we're away with someone here on a regular schedule.

There are great websites that offer dozens and dozens of reliable pet/housesitters that will take care of your home and love your pets for no other fee than use of your home. My husband and I have been a part of this network and helped several people for extended periods of time

If you would like more info about the sites send me a private message and I will share them and our own experiences.

Dawn