Hubbard Glacier or Glacier Bay?

shipfriend_max

July or August, however, are the only months where we could go on this cruise - I also think there's the best weather guarantee. :)

College Fjord is only visited by Princess, as fas as I know... and the ships are only cruising there three hours in the evening the last day of the cruise, I guess...

July or August, however, are the only months where we could go on this cruise - I also think there's the best weather guarantee. :)

QUOTE]

Nope, no "guarantee" with any weather in Alaska. :)

With multiple trips of the inside passage, my "best" weather has been from mid May, through June. I've had a lot of rain in August, a mix in July.

But, past has not much to do with future.

Hubbard Glacier, while spectacular, is a fairly short viewing. Glacier Bay is an all day affair with the possibility of seeing wildlife. None of the glaciers in Glacier Bay are as impressive as Hubbard Glacier but the overall experience is far superior, especially considering that conditions can affect the Hubbard Glacier visit.

Thanks again!!! :)

For me it is clear: The day before or after Seward or Whittier (dependeing on our cruise and direction) it mustn't be a "pure" day at sea - this day should include a passage, and mostly this includes the Hubbard Glacier passage (Princess cruises the college fjord the last but one day on the Northbound itinerary)...

We will see whether we than choose a cruise with includes Glacier Bay as well or Icy Strait Point.

I've watched several Alaska video clips by the companies - the Alaska video of RCI was very bring, while the clips of Celebrity, Princess and NCL were quite appealing. :)

Okay, our chpice does not depend on the video! :D

Another thought, if we chosed Princess:

CROWN PRINCESS and ISLAND/CORAL PRINCESS are sailing between Vancouver and Whittier.

I already know CROWN PRINCESS and she has some very good observation points (Skywalker, promenade deck, sundeck in front of Sanctuary), I do not know CORAL or ISLAND PRINCESS.

Which ship could be the better chpice? Regarding the size, I'd prefer CORAL or ISLAND, because their size is perfect for me.

Also many people like these ships and the reviews are often positive.

Do they also have good observation points??

Edited by celebrity_fan

Thanks again!!! :)

For me it is clear: The day before or after Seward or Whittier (dependeing on our cruise and direction) it mustn't be a "pure" day at sea - this day should include a passage, and mostly this includes the Hubbard Glacier passage (Princess cruises the college fjord the last but one day on the Northbound itinerary)...

We will see whether we than choose a cruise with includes Glacier Bay as well or Icy Strait Point.

I've watched several Alaska video clips by the companies - the Alaska video of RCI was very bring, while the clips of Celebrity, Princess and NCL were quite appealing. :)

Okay, our chpice does not depend on the video! :D

Another thought, if we chosed Princess:

CROWN PRINCESS and ISLAND/CORAL PRINCESS are sailing between Vancouver and Whittier.

I already know CROWN PRINCESS and she has some very good observation points (Skywalker, promenade deck, sundeck in front of Sanctuary), I do not know CORAL or ISLAND PRINCESS.

Which ship could be the better chpice? Regarding the size, I'd prefer CORAL or ISLAND, because their size is perfect for me.

Also many people like these ships and the reviews are often positive.

Do they also have good observation points??

We too are hoping to do Alaska in 2015. We are travelling in June. We haven't made up our mind yet, but we are leaning towards Princess with Holland America being our second choice. From what I hear the Island and Coral are smaller, have less passangers and have a lot of public viewing areas. Perfect for Alaska!

Good luck

The Island is going in to dry during October 2014 so it will be practically new in 2015. Good luck with your choices.

ISLAND to drydock in 2014?? Sounds great!!! :) I like the size of those ships.

Our first choice is Celebrity, Princess/NCL our second ones.

Holland America is a littlebit too expensive, to be honest, the itineraries are not that appealing to us and I do not know whether the passengers are too old...

Good luck for you also!!

Edited by celebrity_fan

NCL has announced its Alaska cruises for 2015!! :)

The Southbound voyage from Seward to Vancouver on NORWEGIAN SUN covers all three attractions, which are important for me: Hubbard Glacier, Icy Strait, and Glacier Bay - she sails there after Juneau, if it isn't a missprint!

I wonder that NCL has swapped Tracy Arm with Glacier Bay on the southbound voyage - but why not?? :)

We were on the Volendam a HAL ship and sailed into Glacier Bay with the ranger doing commentary and it was fantastic. I'm not sure if all cruise lines have the expert aboard. We were very lucky, the weather was sunny and cool (it was May). Just thinking of seeing a piece of the glacier split and fall while we watched from the bow of the ship, makes me want to go back.

Sorry, I haven't seen the Hubbard Glacier but cruising Glacier Bay is a must in my opinion.

I am thinking of cruising on this ship for Sep 2014. Can you advise on the condition? Would you recommend?

NCL has announced its Alaska cruises for 2015!! :)

The Southbound voyage from Seward to Vancouver on NORWEGIAN SUN covers all three attractions, which are important for me: Hubbard Glacier, Icy Strait, and Glacier Bay - she sails there after Juneau, if it isn't a missprint!

I wonder that NCL has swapped Tracy Arm with Glacier Bay on the southbound voyage - but why not?? :)

I haven't seen the NCL 2015 cruises even listed? I don't find them on the ncl site.

But, this has not been the itinerary in the past. They are now going out of Seward?? And, you usually do not do Glacier Bay after Juneau.

The itinerary this year- was Hoonah and Tracy arm, no Hubbard or Glacier Bay, which was the northbound itinerary.

Where are you finding this?

I haven't seen the NCL 2015 cruises even listed? I don't find them on the ncl site.

But, this has not been the itinerary in the past. They are now going out of Seward?? And, you usually do not do Glacier Bay after Juneau.

The itinerary this year- was Hoonah and Tracy arm, no Hubbard or Glacier Bay, which was the northbound itinerary.

Where are you finding this?

Just open the US website of NCL.

The dates are the same (Monday - Monday), but in 2015 Whittier will be replaced by Seward.

And according to the NCL website, after Juneau the SUN will head to Glacier Bay on the Southbound cruise. :)

But both northbound and southbound itineraries on NCL SUN include Hubbard Glacier...

Edited by celebrity_fan