Navigator vs. Jewel

My fiance and I went on the Navigator in October and loved everything about it. We are looking to book another cruise (to get married on) and are thinking the Jewel this time. I know it's a smaller ship, but we saw it in port at the Bahamas and thought it looked like a really nice ship.

For anyone that's been on both - is there any chance of being disappointed with the Jewel having been on the Navigator? We kind of started with the biggest and best from RCCL, I'd hate to be disappointed next time around. That was our first cruise and our baseline!

The really important thing for us is the sports deck, we practically lived on the putting green, rock wall, etc., the activities are really important to us - but I think the Jewel has all that as well, right?

I thought about waiting for the Freedom, and I'm sure I'd love it, but BF wants to try something smaller this time around.

Any opinions would be appreciated. :)

Hands down, Jewel. When I got off Navigator I felt like I had spent the week at the Mall of America. Jewel has many walls of glass giving an everpresent feeling of being at sea. Jewel is not a small ship. It's a very big ship.

I agree with hdawson.

I think the best of RCI is Radiance class, not Voyager class. Size, in this case, has nothing to do with it. Voyager class are too big for me, too crowded and too impersonal.

However, if you really liked Navigator and found it to suit you, Jewel might not to be your taste. Smaller, more personal, elegant, low key and with better service, it suits me just fine.

I also struggled with this issue after having sailed Explorer and Mariner and then booking Serenade. The two classes of ships are very different but I can tell you that even though the Voyager class is my favorite the Radiance class is a very close second. I did miss the Royal Promenade as I knew I would but the Radiance class has many other features to make up for it.

If your major concern is the sports deck as you mentioned, then I think you will have no problem at all. With the exception of roller blading most everything available on the Voyager sports deck is available on the Radiance sports deck.

When we were in St. Lucia on Serenade, Adventure was there with us and I never once had wished that I had booked her instead. Though I still like the Voyager ships best I would have no problem booking a Radiance class ship again.

So although there is no Royal Promenade, I assume there must still be some shopping and coffee shops and stuff?

And what about nightlife - the Navigator had the Dungeon - does Jewel have something similar?

THANKS FOR THE INFO - I feel much better about booking Jewel now. :)

There is shopping available on deck 5. Though it is arranged very differently then on the Royal Promenade you will find the same types of shops. It does feel more congested when there are a lot of people there.

The Radiance class ships have their disco up in the Viking Crown area instead of down in the hull of the ship.

There is a coffee shop called Lattitudes.

The Seaview Caffe is a great place to get late night food and takes the place of Johnny Rocket's that you find on the Voyager ships.

One thing you will really notice is that you can see the ocean from just about anywhere on the Radiance class ships including when you are in the Centrum elevators.

Though I was on the Serenade it is not much different from Jewel. If you would like to read my review here is the link. Feel free to ask any questions.

Serenade Review

Archived