canx with insurance, when I can use "credit"?

topofE

Without all the long boring details. I had to cancel a cabin last year. I had planned to cancel the insurance at final payment but luckily realized I had to cancel just a couple days before final payment so I still had the insurance. To make a long story short, my 2 deposits for the room were "refunded" via "credit" for future cruise. Since my cruise was December 16, I was originally told I had till Dec 16 in two years to recruise with $500 booking credit. I called my NEW CCL rep and was told that it was 2 years from when I originally booked. I told her that didn't make any sense cause it was originally booked almost two years before the cruise...so it would've expired just a couple months after the expected departure. She said it must be 2 years from the date it was cancelled. So I had to cruise before September 1st of next year. Since she wasn't sure I wanted to ask if anyone has any personal experience with this? Is it 2 years from the date of cancellation or from the date of the original cruise? Or from the date of the last payment due date? For some reason, I can't find ANY info on CCL website. Specific to my account OR in general about this. Any help is appreciated:0)

Without all the long boring details. I had to cancel a cabin last year. I had planned to cancel the insurance at final payment but luckily realized I had to cancel just a couple days before final payment so I still had the insurance. To make a long story short, my 2 deposits for the room were "refunded" via "credit" for future cruise. Since my cruise was December 16, I was originally told I had till Dec 16 in two years to recruise with $500 booking credit. I called my NEW CCL rep and was told that it was 2 years from when I originally booked. I told her that didn't make any sense cause it was originally booked almost two years before the cruise...so it would've expired just a couple months after the expected departure. She said it must be 2 years from the date it was cancelled. So I had to cruise before September 1st of next year. Since she wasn't sure I wanted to ask if anyone has any personal experience with this? Is it 2 years from the date of cancellation or from the date of the original cruise? Or from the date of the last payment due date? For some reason, I can't find ANY info on CCL website. Specific to my account OR in general about this. Any help is appreciated:0)

The Carnival website page showing their insurance details (on page 3):

"Once you’ve cancelled with Carnival Cruise Lines, please contact the Program Administrator at 1-800-331-2796 regarding cruise credits."

http://www.carnival.com/~/media/CCLUS/Images/pdf/vacation-protection-pdf.ashx

Hopefully they can help you. Good luck.

Oh jeez - this could be the start of a bloody battle between you and Carnival.

I would recommend you keep calling until you get sopmeone that will give you a favorable answer - and then act on that as soon as you can.

AND get it in writing! Good luck, OP. :)

The Carnival website page showing their insurance details (on page 3):

"Once you’ve cancelled with Carnival Cruise Lines, please contact the Program Administrator at 1-800-331-2796 regarding cruise credits."

http://www.carnival.com/~/media/CCLUS/Images/pdf/vacation-protection-pdf.ashx

Hopefully they can help you. Good luck.

Please call them. I find the post confusing because you list no year with your dates. If you got a credit, is it safe to assume it was ES? Otherwise you would have gotten a deposit refunded when you cancelled.

Maybe I am not understanding correctly. If you had insurance when you cancelled wouldn't that cover your $500. Why are you getting a credit? Why didn't they just give you your money back if you had insurance when you cancelled?

Confusing indeed. I don't understand the insurance thing either.

If you had insurance when you cancelled wouldn't that cover your $500. Why are you getting a credit? Why didn't they just give you your money back if you had insurance when you cancelled?

The OP's cancellation was probably for a non-covered event aka "Cancel For Any Reason". A 75% Future Cruise Credit was issued. A 100% refund is issued only for covered events such as illness, death, job loss. The OP has to take a cruise that departs up to 2 years from the date of cancellation. (some time in September 2015)

The OP's cancellation was probably for a non-covered event aka "Cancel For Any Reason". A 75% Future Cruise Credit was issued. A 100% refund is issued only for covered events such as illness, death, job loss. The OP has to take a cruise that departs up to 2 years from the date of cancellation. (some time in September 2015)

Huh? I thought cancel for any reason was just that. How can there be a non covered event if you think she had cancel for any reason insurance

It is so important to give compete info when posting. I really wish the op had gone into detail as opposed to stating that she was not giving details.

I am not a novice with insurance or cruising but I really like all the facts stated clearly. But that is just me.

I will admit I have never used early saver so if that has anything to do with this situation like a previous poster has suggested I apologize but again if that was the ops situation clearly stating that would have been helpful

Huh? I thought cancel for any reason was just that. How can there be a non covered event if you think she had cancel for any reason insurance

My post meant to say that the OP did not have Cancel For Any Reason coverage and they cancelled for a non covered reason. Therefore a 75% FCC was issued to be used on a future cruise sailing up to 2 years from the cancellation date. Sorry if you were confused.

I'm sorry for the confusion. I had originally written a whole lengthy inner monologue and then realized that no one wanted all the details and trimmed it down:).

In Jan 2011 I booked a cruise for 4. Two adjoining balconies. Early Saver but also have IL resident, military, and past guest available. Even though I didn't want the insurance that CCL offers, the rep who booked me said to just keep it on there and cancel at final payment. The insurance that I believe is something like 50$ per person. I never read into the dirty details of it because I never intended to keep it.

I've learned my lesson:).

In September, we realized that due to school, my sister couldn't join us. I called my rep and we hashed it out and moved me into my dad and daughters room and cancelled the other room. Because I was cancelling the room, our deposits were put into a future cruise booking credit. 250$ each but I paid for it all, so 500$ for me. Then I moved into our other room and paid the difference to add a third. My rep told me that I had 2 years from the date of sailing to rebook. (Or I think she did...we were on the phone for ever trying to find a solution to the whole debacle). I no longer have that rep.*

I called the new rep a couple months ago to ask about the credit because there's no info about it on my account on their webpage. She told me that it already expired because it is two years from the original BOOKING. I told her that couldn't be it because I had booked in January of 2011...so my credit expired just a month after my cruise? She said she made a mistake and I have until Sept 1, 2014 to return from a cruise. I asked if it COULD be from the cruise date (Dec 16, 2012) and she said, no. It's either from the date I cancelled or the date of last payment. She would check into it. I still haven't heard back. I just wondered if anyone had any experience with this. It really comes down to the difference between a month or two. The thing is that cruising in the summer (before Sept 1, 2014) costs well over 500$ more then cruising between then and Dec 16, 2014). Or even October when my last payment was due. Like cruising in August with a $500 booking credit is the same as cruising in December without it. In my experience.

*I've booked once on the phone, once on the webpage, once with a TA, once with a group TA. I didn't realize that I had a personal rep until I called to book in Jan 2011 but I knew what I wanted and we spoke for about 10 minutes. Then in late September, I called to cancel the room and my rep was on vacation so I spoke to her coworker daily for about a week to get it all sorted out. I didn't realize she wasn't my actual rep until later when I tried to get this info and was told my rep was the person I booked with on the phone in Jan. Who never dealt with my cancellation though.*

My post meant to say that the OP did not have Cancel For Any Reason coverage and they cancelled for a non covered reason. Therefore a 75% FCC was issued to be used on a future cruise sailing up to 2 years from the cancellation date. Sorry if you were confused.

He cancelled before due date, so all the deposit should be refunded, even if it's for a future credit.

Did you book early saver? We booked early saver for our cruise last March 2013. We had to cancel because of family stuff. We cancelled on 12/7/12. We now have a $500 credit that we can use for sailing until 12/7/14. So it is from the day you cancel. Hope that helps.

Did you book early saver? We booked early saver for our cruise last March 2013. We had to cancel because of family stuff. We cancelled on 12/7/12. We now have a $500 credit that we can use for sailing until 12/7/14. So it is from the day you cancel. Hope that helps.

He's early saver.