Western Caribbean Shore Excursion Choice

PoorBuoy

Our family of four (two 55 year olds and two 22 year olds) is going over Christmas to Roatan Island, Belize, and Cozumel. Any thoughts on which place is best for snorkeling vs which stop is best for seeing Mayan ruins. I really want at least one stop for Mayan ruins.

I was considering snorkeling in Roatan Island since there is nothing else to do there, cave tubing in Belize since it is a unique experience, and going to Tulum while in Cozumel. My uncertainty is that the trip to Tulum looks arduous and the snorkeling in Cozumel is supposed to be good and there is a ruin in Belize that is maybe easier to get to. Any thoughts?

If you go to Tulum make sure you go on the ship's tour. It is a long bus ride there and the ship will only wait for their tours to get back. If you do it on your own and for some reason are delayed from getting to the ship, they will not wait. (You have to take a ferry to get off Cozumel.)

If you are going to Mahogany Bay in Roatan, the snorkeling there is lousy. Take a cab to Tabyanna for great snorkeling. Our last time there you had to have a tour to snorkel there so our cab took us too the hotel next door. We put our stuff on their beach and walked right over to Tabyanna.

We've done the cave tubing twice! We went with Reggie. The ship can have 30-40 people on their tour. The private ones are better because they don't have as many people on their tours. The ships charge between $84 ands $95 for tour to same caves, same amount of time to get there, same everything and we paid $45 plus under $5 to get in. Just Google 'cave tubing in Belize".

Edited by Bonnie J.

Our family of four (two 55 year olds and two 22 year olds) is going over Christmas to Roatan Island, Belize, and Cozumel. Any thoughts on which place is best for snorkeling vs which stop is best for seeing Mayan ruins. I really want at least one stop for Mayan ruins.

I was considering snorkeling in Roatan Island since there is nothing else to do there, cave tubing in Belize since it is a unique experience, and going to Tulum while in Cozumel. My uncertainty is that the trip to Tulum looks arduous and the snorkeling in Cozumel is supposed to be good and there is a ruin in Belize that is maybe easier to get to. Any thoughts?

Belize has several offerings for Mayan Ruins - Altun Ha and Xunantinitch [sp!] are among the best, in my opinion. We did a ship tour to Altun Ha and then a river ride back to Belize City that I would highly recommend. Xunantinitch is farther inland and would require a longer bus ride.

Going to Tulum from Cozumel means a ferry ride to the main land which, IMHO, is a miserable journey, but then I get seasick! Then it's on the bus to Tulum. Long day. I would do the snorkeling in Cozumel - go to Nachi Cocum or Mr. Santos or one of the other AIs and take a snorkeling trip arranged there.

Have fun!

We have done the Tulum excursion form Cozumel. It is interesting, but a very long day, beginning with a 45 min. ferry ride to the mainland, then a long bus drive along a pretty non scenic route. Our guide on the bus was very knowledgeable, spoke English well, and knew the history very well, but after a while the talking became annoying to me. At the sight, he again (IMO) spent too much time on his lecture, leaving not much time to wander on your own.

There are several spots that afford great photos with the Caribbean in the background, and the iguanas are everywhere. The site is well maintained, but is modest in size, not the larger temples you see in most common adds for ruins.

It is a very hot outing, so dress and hydrate accordingly.

Ours was a ship excursion, and I was much more at ease on the return ride knowing that even though we were going to be approaching the all aboard time, the ship would be there.

No experience with the other two.

Edited by MermaidWatcher

Thanks for the inputs and the advice.

I loved the slide show of Tulum!

I posted in the general area rather than under the specific ports because I am deciding between activities in different ports; which stop does it make the most sense to do ruins vs snorkeling vs cave tubing.

In the end, I probably can't go wrong.