Tabyana Beach good for snorkeling?

pokerpro5

I was reading about Tabyana Beach, and I like what I see, but I figured I would run it by the more experienced cruisers here.

Here is what I have read:

- You can get there by cab ($30?), and it is not necessary to waste money on a cruise excursion, especially with a family of 4.

- The beach is beautiful, with white sand, and clear, calm water.

- The snorkeling is great, and it's accessible right off the beach, with no boat ride.

- Some people report problems with sand fleas.

- Some people report that you sunburn REALLY easily there, and you need to be careful.

- Some people report that it is very crowded at times.

- Some people report that fish actually swim up to you in the water, even if you're not snorkeling.

This beach appeals to me because one of our children is 3 years old, and he can't snorkel. He does enjoy swimming, and would love a clear, calm, warm ocean.

At the same time, one parent can take our older child out for snorkeling, and nobody has to leave on a boat.

This seems like a nice, economical thing to do, especially on a day when the ship is only in port from 8-4.

Can anyone please describe their experience with Tabyana?

Are the points I typed above correct, or am I wrong about any of them?

Any general tips, including where to find the best snorkeling?

Thanks!

BTW, I will be posting my own detailed reviews of all my excursions and the cruise/ship itself, so I will be "giving back" to the community here. Not just picking your brains for info!

Tabayana resort is actually located on West Bay beach...... but they call the beach in front of it Tabayana beach. Its even listed on some maps that way. But you need to tell the taxi driver to take you to West Bay Beach. Unless you have (or plan to buy) a day pass to Tabayana you cannot access the beach through their property.

All beaches in Roatan are public. However you must access it via a public beach access. There is one that goes down the side of Bananarama resort very near Tabayana. Once on the beach you can walk down either way and plop down wherever it looks good to you. Most resorts have a small fence that mark their property so you will know where the public stops and the private begins.

All of your info is right on. I first visited Roatan on a cruise stop but have been back twice and stayed a week each time at Infinity Bay - right next door to Tabayana. Roatan is our favorite locale in the Caribbean and we have found the diving there the best we have found anywhere. Snorkeling is great too....but be careful as the reef is very shallow in some areas (more so at low tide) and a) you dont want to injure yourself on them and b) you dont want to injure the reef !!!! Also this is a marine preserve so take nothing out of the water..... no shells, no nothing. Stiff fines.

hope this info helps - enjoy Roatan

I was reading about Tabyana Beach, and I like what I see, but I figured I would run it by the more experienced cruisers here.

- You can get there by cab ($30?), and it is not necessary to waste money on a cruise excursion, especially with a family of 4.

- The snorkeling is great, and it's accessible right off the beach, with no boat ride.

- Some people report that you sunburn REALLY easily there, and you need to be careful.

- Some people report that fish actually swim up to you in the water, even if you're not snorkeling.

This beach appeals to me because one of our children is 3 years old, and he can't snorkel. He does enjoy swimming, and would love a clear, calm, warm ocean.

At the same time, one parent can take our older child out for snorkeling, and nobody has to leave on a boat.

This seems like a nice, economical thing to do, especially on a day when the ship is only in port from 8-4.

Thanks!

BTW, I will be posting my own detailed reviews of all my excursions and the cruise/ship itself, so I will be "giving back" to the community here. Not just picking your brains for info!

We took a private tour with Victor Bodden last March and as a part of the tour we went to West Bay Beach which Tabyana is a part of. Tabyana was only available to us as a cruise ship excursion which didn't really matter as we wanted to take the Victor Bodden tour anyway.

When we were there the water was unbelievably beautiful, clear, calm and warm. The sun was strong and we used lots of sunscreen! Our redhead wore a long sleeve swim shirt. The beach was not crowded at all and there were a few cruise ships in port that day. The snorkeling is available off the shore - just walk in and start snorkeling. That being said, we are infrequent snorkelers (usually on a cruise vacations) and we did snorkel and saw an amazing array of beautiful, colorful fish, but we found it a little confusing snorkeling through the coral. It was hard to see where to go when we were in the water. Honestly, I would get a guided snorkel tour if I have the opportunity to go back to West Bay. I know Victor Bodden offered one but I didn't think I would want or need a guided tour. A more experienced snorkeler might feel differently, but the coral came up to the top of the water in some places and my DH and DS suffered a few scrapes. And yes! The fish swam right up to us in the water. We didn't notice any sand fleas.

Also we bought food/drinks from some beach vendors. My mom got a foot massage from a lady wandering around giving the massages. It was fun!

We really enjoyed our day in Roatan!

From my perspective: If your family wish be close to the easy access reef snorkeling, if the family members on the beach wish to be able to see those who are snorkeling, if you wish chairs to stay off both the sand and a bit of a deterrent from the sand fleas and you wish showers and lockers...then my suggestion is go with the Tabyana Beach Break option.

If you don't need a chair or bathrooms, if the snorkelers are willing to walk down the beach past Infinity then any place in the beach will do.

Bananarama is the closest to easy access reef snorkeling, least expensive bathroom/shower option, chair option. I was under the impression they had tighten security, with anyone walking onto the property to use the bath room, need to sort out a day pass from the ticket booth. I noticed a post the other day from someone who said Bananarama gave them wrist bands to use the facilities due to their eating lunch on the property. There was a additional fee for loungers.

As said above, there is a public access point to the beach right next to Bananarama if all ya want is sand. :0)

Indeed, anything you read about West Bay beach with apply to Tabyana due to it being part of West Bay Beach.

Enjoy the island. :)

You really can't blame the resorts for tightening up access to their property. But we have found that if you eat there, they will let you use their bathrooms.

As for snorkeling, I think the more novice the snorkeler is, the better it would be for a guide. But if you are fairly comfortable in the water you should be ok.

Also, have heard reports from others that they have been told that the access next to Bananarama has a charge to use. NO WAY ! If you encounter someone who tries to charge you a resort fee or whatever..... simply state you just want to sit on the beach and not use the resort.

We rented some loungers from Bananarama our first visit (cruise stop) for a few hours and they were like $5.00 each..... we bought food from there and were allowed to use the restrooms. Infinity Bay will also allow you to eat at the Palapa Bar and use the restrooms too..... really good food too !

Thanks!

We took the Tabyana Beach excursion from the Caribbean Princess and really enjoyed it. There was plenty of shade available for your loungers so getting out of the sun isn't a problem. The snorkeling area was a short distance down the beach and it was really great with lots of fish and coral to see. We didn't have a problem with sand flees but that tends to be a seasonal thing (at least here in FL). The lunch that they served was really tasty so overall a great day at the beach!