MIA/People Mover

JillK

Hi all.

Hubby and I will be staying at the IC one night pre-cruise next Saturday. We are fortunate to arrive mid-morning so can really take our time and actually enjoy Miami for a day.

I have read about the MIA/people mover as a possible way to get from the airport to the IC but have to admit I'm a little intimidated by the process since we are not overly familiar with Miami (other than the taxi ride from MIA to POM).

Can anyone who has taken this route or a local advise on how intuitive or easy it is to go this route over a taxi? Just thought that since we had oodles of time pre-check in it might be fun to get downtown a different way.

Many thanks for all input!

Jill

how much have you looked into this?

Basically there are 3 steps

1. Exit the airport and go to the Intermodal Transportation Center's, Miami Central Station and board Metro Rail

http://www.miami-airport.com/cip_miami_central_station.asp

2. Take Metrorail to Government Center Station

http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/library/metrorail-map.pdf

3. At Government Center, exit Metrorail and get on PeopleMover/MetroMover. Caution, there are multiple 'loops' and you want the inner loop heading for the Bayfront park station

http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/library/metrorail-map.pdf

Opinion: Having lived in Miami and worked downtown .... I take a taxi! If nothing else, it is a ways to schlep luggage.

I'd taxi to IC, altho you probably can't check in I've found most dcent hotels will hold your luggage until you CAN check in, and then you can walk over to Bayside for lunch or just to hang out . .

Hi guys.

Yeah, I've looked at the line maps, etc. on and off for a few months so see if I could get a beat on how realistic it would be. You have both confirmed my feeling that a cab would likely be best.

Many thanks for the quick feedback!

Jill

Don't waste your time trying this. It's not all that convenient, as pointed out above, and you could spend the time more productively in Miami.

The IC may be able to check you in mid-morning - it's worth it to ask, as even if they were full the night before they may have had early check out rooms that are already cleaned and available. If they have no rooms ready, then stash your baggage with the bell stand and head out and see the sights.

We did it Jan 2013 with no problem. Yes, luggage was bulky but we had few fellow passengers so we had plenty of space. We stayed at Holiday Inn POM and had a two block walk to the hotel.. No problem and saved money to waste at Bayside Market later that evening. It depends upon how pampered you want to be treated and how much physical activity you are used to.

I've been considering the Orange Line to get our group of 4 (all adults) to the Hampton Inn Brickell. It looks fairly straightforward and would save us a bit of money to blow later. We land at 8:30 a.m. so will be in no hurry to get to the hotel.

Any advice or estimates on what a cab will cost?