Just off the Divna Cruise

alexkrn46

My family of 4 just got off a fabulous Thanksgiving cruise.

A litttle information about my family and cruise history. Our family is Myself and Husband and two adult children but when I realized the Davina would be in port we switched from the Oasis which we are D+.

We had cabin 16027 and 16029 in the YC, cabins were in a great location, easy access to the one pool and very quiet.

Embarkation: It was bit chaotic , the ship did not clear until after 12 noon, I would not plan to get there early. The rooms were well appointed and had

the mini bar stocked well. There was a bottle of champagne waiting for us.

We ate dinner in the Le Muse the first night, the menu has been Americanized. The alternative menu consisted of a steak, salmon, pasta and ceasar salad.

I did not make copies of the menus, but I can tell you my family tends to be picky eaters and one once had to eat off the alternative menu.

Service was excellent in Top Sail Lounge, One pool area and the Le Muse dinning room. We had the same waiter each time, lunch, dinner or breakfast.

The first night there was a production show, witches of ???? it was well

attended and the costumes were breath taking. The theater is beautiful.

And the cast was great.

There were two sea days prior to arriving in Saint Martin, I have to say we were blessed with good weather except for the last day were we missed great stirrup cay.

There were very few announcements which we enjoy and the cruise director Andre was engaging. There were many activities on board we mostly hung out on the one pool area.

The buffet in the main area seemed to have a good selection including water and juices.

In Saint Martin , we went to Maho Beach, I have been there many times, the issue was there were 7 ships in port which made the island very crowded.

San Juan was our next stop it was a beautiful day and we did some shopping, the port authority would not allow to reboard the ship until the Holland American ship was tied down.

My men wanted to see the Patriots on TV and the game was broadcasted in the state room, they also did this for the Thanksgiving were they showed the game

Initial menus on Thursday did have a Turkey dinner listed, but when we got to the dining room turkey was listed. They also had lobster tails, which were the largest a juiciest lobster tails I have seen on a cruise.

The ship was spotless and beautiful . The staff seemed happy.

Disembarkation was not as smooth, waited over one hour to get through customs since they only had a few boarder control officers. We used a transfer to the Fort Lauderdale port.

There were a few hiccups, overall we had an excellent cruise.

I enjoyed not having drinks offered every few minutes and few announcements

There were 5 production shows, I did miss a live orchestra but the performer s were outstanding.

The ship rode very smooth

A litttle information about my family and cruise history. Our family is Myself and Husband and two adult children but when I realized the Davina would be in port we switched from the Oasis which we are D+.

We had cabin 16027 and 16029 in the YC, cabins were in a great location, easy access to the one pool and very quiet.

Embarkation: It was bit chaotic , the ship did not clear until after 12 noon, I would not plan to get there early. The rooms were well appointed and had

We ate dinner in the Le Muse the first night, the menu has been Americanized. The alternative menu consisted of a steak, salmon, pasta and ceasar salad.

I did not make copies of the menus, but I can tell you my family tends to be picky eaters and one once had to eat off the alternative menu.

Service was excellent in Top Sail Lounge, One pool area and the Le Muse dinning room. We had the same waiter each time, lunch, dinner or breakfast.

And the cast was great.

There were two sea days prior to arriving in Saint Martin, I have to say we were blessed with good weather except for the last day were we missed great stirrup cay.

There were very few announcements which we enjoy and the cruise director Andre was engaging. There were many activities on board we mostly hung out on the one pool area.

The buffet in the main area seemed to have a good selection including water and juices.

In Saint Martin , we went to Maho Beach, I have been there many times, the issue was there were 7 ships in port which made the island very crowded.

San Juan was our next stop it was a beautiful day and we did some shopping, the port authority would not allow to reboard the ship until the Holland American ship was tied down.

My men wanted to see the Patriots on TV and the game was broadcasted in the state room, they also did this for the Thanksgiving were they showed the game

Initial menus on Thursday did have a Turkey dinner listed, but when we got to the dining room turkey was listed. They also had lobster tails, which were the largest a juiciest lobster tails I have seen on a cruise.

Disembarkation was not as smooth, waited over one hour to get through customs since they only had a few boarder control officers. We used a transfer to the Fort Lauderdale port.

There were 5 production shows, I did miss a live orchestra but the performer s were outstanding.

Alex, did the YC butlers meet you and help with embarkation and if so, where were they? We are embarking on the 7th and would like to know what to expect. Thanks for your great review.

And the cast was great.

Nice to get good news!!!

Welcome back!

A few questions on the Divina.

1. Do they still charge for the sun deck 18?

2. Was the aft pool area for adults only?

3. Do you have menus from the MDR and buffet?

Thank you.

Why would a YC guest bother with Deck18 sun deck (at extra cost) or the aft pool,(MSC don't really enforce the adults rule on the aft pool)as the One Deck is so much better .

Pete

Why would a YC guest bother with Deck18 sun deck (at extra cost) or the aft pool,(MSC don't really enforce the adults rule on the aft pool)as the One Deck is so much better .

Pete

Is the rest of the ship (left for 95% of the passengers) a leprosarium that Yacht Club guests (5%) should not touch?:)

I am in the hope that posters sailed in the Yacht Club do not necessarily limit their cruising experience to this enclave and therefore are able to provide a real information on the ship.

Edited by cruisetrail

Is the rest of the ship (left for 95% of the passengers) a leprosarium that Yacht Club guests (5%) should not touch?:)

I am in the hope that posters sailed in the Yacht Club do not necessarily limit their cruising experience to this enclave and therefore are able to provide a real information on the ship.

I for one do plan on exploring as much of the ship as I can but will enjoy being able to retreat to our "enclave" whenever we want to get away from the crowds.

I explored the ship at length and took a large number of photos of all areas of the ship, so I have a certain amount of knowledge of the shipto back up what i'm saying.

I also have a reasonable amount of experince of MSC (10 cruises on 7 ships, at least 2 ships of each class). How about you? Care to name your experience of MSC? I see it's listed in your signature's list of cruise lines but no reference to an actual cruise with them

LInk to a selection of photos of none YC areas of MSC Divina

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=164&t=4473&p=70937#p70937

as well as my review of YC experience

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=270&t=4472

Pete

when we got to port there is a tent for the YC, since we got there at noon and the ship was no cleared they took our luggage and sent us to a lounge.

Still charge for 18 deck did not go, The pool at the back is adult only and rarely used.,

buffet had no menu posted, but hot dogs, hamburgers, pizza, lots of fresh fruit,carving station, pasta station, salad and sanwhichs.

lots of kids on this cruise over 700, over 3 hundred Germans.

we did a tour with them, and I have toured the food prep areas, on many lines and msc was the only one who made us put on a bunny suit.

Everyone can fill a bag ...a large shopping bag and have their laundry done for 25 dollars.

originally we had booked on the oasis two balconies and the YC was the same price.

I explored the ship at length and took a large number of photos of all areas of the ship, so I have a certain amount of knowledge of the shipto back up what i'm saying.

That sounds good.

However, I myself have done a detailed study (directly and based on documents) of both classes of MSC ships. Have no questions about anything before the Caribbean season of the Divina.

My questions are only focused on expected improvements in food & service made for the Caribbean cruises.

Skier, I really enjoyed your videos and review. I am so excited to try a new ship and line for us as well as the YC. Any special tips on foods or drinks to try? We like to try new things when traveling.

The risottos, which are a signature dish on MSC and appear on neraly all menus are in the most part excellent. I did baulk at squid ink risotto, it just looked disgusting, and on one occasion I had one that was toooooo salty, but the head waiter and Maitre da' pickup on it very quickly and it was sorted within 5 minutes. they orderd the chef to prepare a new dish for me , and it was just brilliant. So don't be afraid to say if you don't like it and order an alternative. Many of the fish dishes were lovely but occasionally the meat dishes left a lot to be desired, (I sent a couple back and had an alternative instead)

As for drinks I don't go in for cocktails but the selction of house wines in tHe YC was good and free flowing, i thought the prosecco was very drinkable as were the reds so I didn't venture into the wines off the wine list. The speciallity coffees and teas were good as well. Make sure you go to the English afternoon tea (if they do it in the US) in the TOp Sail lounge.

Pete

Edited by Skier52

That sounds good.

However, I myself have done a detailed study (directly and based on documents) of both classes of MSC ships. Have no questions about anything before the Caribbean season of the Divina.

My questions are only focused on expected improvements in food & service made for the Caribbean cruises.

MSC have THREE CLasses,( with four ships in each class):- LIRICA; MUSICA and FANTASIA Classes.

I take it from your evasive answer that you've never actually been on an MSC cruise. A simple "Yes I have" or No I haven't" answer would suffice

Pete

Edited by Skier52

MSC have THREE CLasses,( with four ships in each class):- LIRICA; MUSICA and FANTASIA Classes.

I take it from your evasive answer that you've never actually been on an MSC cruise. A simple "Yes I have" or No I haven't" answer would suffice

Pete

I should have been more specific: two classes I considered for a cruise.

The Lirica class is out of consideration.

I also have a reasonable amount of experince of MSC (10 cruises on 7 ships, at least 2 ships of each class). How about you? Care to name your experience of MSC? I see it's listed in your signature's list of cruise lines but no reference to an actual cruise with them

LInk to a selection of photos of none YC areas of MSC Divina

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=164&t=4473&p=70937#p70937

as well as my review of YC experience

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=270&t=4472

Pete

Pete,

I see you have two pictures over the "indoor solarium" heading...I understand the first pic, but what is the pic below? (Ceiling looks different than the one above)

Thanks so much!

Barbara

879928105_indoorsolariummscbottompic.jpg.50f8a3343c51e8251ed6ac56a8916d2d.jpg

Pete,

I see you have two pictures over the "indoor solarium" heading...I understand the first pic, but what is the pic below? (Ceiling looks different than the one above)

Thanks so much!

Barbara

[ATTACH]294528[/ATTACH]

The upper picture is taken from the balcony (Deck 15) whereas the lower picture is taken from the pool level (Deck 14) and the "ceiling" is actually the underside of the Deck 15 balcony. THe palm tree in both pictures is the same tree so the lower picture is taken from the lefthand edge of the upper picture along the length of the pool, essentially it is a 90 degree offset.

Hope this now makes sense.

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Pete,

Thanks so much!

Barbara

[ATTACH]294528[/ATTACH]

I am not Pete but it looks like it is just taken while standing underneath the overhanging section of roofing around it. Look where the palm trees are in each picture and I think you will be able to see what I am talking about. Same pool, just different angle.

I am not Pete but it looks like it is just taken while standing underneath the overhanging section of roofing around it. Look where the palm trees are in each picture and I think you will be able to see what I am talking about. Same pool, just different angle.

Exactly right.

Pete

What category cabin did you occupy ( i.e is there much variation in the YC cabin choices)?

How much per night did you pay for each of the 2 cabins you occupied?

Does YC have its own separate dining room for all meals including breakfast buffet?

Does YC have its own separate pool area?

What category cabin did you occupy ( i.e is there much variation in the YC cabin choices)?

How much per night did you pay for each of the 2 cabins you occupied?

Does YC have its own separate dining room for all meals including breakfast buffet?

Does YC have its own separate pool area?

Google MSC Yacht Club and find all kinds of info including videos. But yes, separate DR and pool.