MDR Wines the same on all ships?

eandj

Wondering if the MDR wine choices are the same on all ships. I know they can run out of a variety here and there but basically are the same brands offered?

I do know different bars around the ship can offer different/fewer bottles and glasses.

Wondering if the MDR wine choices are the same on all ships. I know they can run out of a variety here and there but basically are the same brands offered?

I do know different bars around the ship can offer different/fewer bottles and glasses.

You answered your own question quite well. We've been lucky so far and the ship always had the preferred Cabernet we liked.

It appears that the Royal May have a different Wine List than other ships. Largin posted the 2013 wine list and I believe Astro Flyer posted the Royal's list.

I was disappointed to see that they have dropped Brunello di Montalcino wines from their list on the Caribbean Princess. We always bought at least one during our cruise and the substituted Rosso di Montalcino was not a good substitute.

They also did not have the wine flights available in Vines as they stated the list had changed drastically recently and they were still trying to put the pairing lists together for the flights.

The answer to this overall is a qualified yes. Princess sources most of their stock through a single distributor and supplies the fleet that way (as do most lines). That said, logistics may dictate changes by itinerary, for example there may be some wines they can source practically in the med, but not in the US when transport is taken into account. Ditto for Asia in terms of supply.

Just off the Crown. The "wine expert", there is no sommelier, told us Princess sources the same wines for all 17 ships. He said Princess requires a production of at least 25,000 cases of each wine. But, they apparently do sell Opus One.... And that is a pretty limited selection. Someone on our cruise bought 2 bottles one night.

Just off the Crown. The "wine expert", there is no sommelier, told us Princess sources the same wines for all 17 ships. He said Princess requires a production of at least 25,000 cases of each wine. But, they apparently do sell Opus One.... And that is a pretty limited selection. Someone on our cruise bought 2 bottles one night.

My research tells me that the onboard price is very similiar or maybe cheaper than the current land price for Opus One.

I attended a premium wine tasting on a Pacific Coastal a few years ago in which we sampled the Opus One. We were then offered the opportunity to buy up to 2 bottles to take home at $128us each. I passed but had I known that they sell for $285cdn in Vancouver ($235us at Total Wine) I would of given it more serious consideration. I figured it must of been an older vintage that they had excess of.