MSC Divina Cruise Nov. 23 - 30

Luckyone2

My husband and I drove from Georgia to Orlando on the Friday before our cruise just to break up the long trip to Miami. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Lake Buena Vista Downtown Disney. We picked this hotel because of its proximity to Downtown Disney, the great price (Travelocity)' and the fact that there was not a resort fee tacked on. There is a $10 parking fee but I thought that it was a great value because we used the resort's bus system to travel to Disney World. We loved this hotel. The staff was kind, sincere, and helpful. The hotel was quiet, clean, and beautiful. The bed was very comfortable. We took the resort bus to The Magic Kingdom where we boarded the resort monorail. We went toured most of the Disney resorts; the Christmas decorations were breathtakingly beautiful! I don't think that most people know that the resort's transportation system (bus, boat, monorail) are free to the general public. We have done Disney World too many times to count but had never visited the beautiful resorts. We ended up at the Contemporary where we watched the fireworks over Cinderella's Castle.rase5y5u.jpgtemapude.jpgse9ygype.jpgyda7azeq.jpgmu4a9a5e.jpg

The next morning we left by 7 and arrived at Port of Miami by 11. I highly recommend buying a SunPass for the Florida Turnpike so that you won't waste time going through the tolls. I also recommend studying a map of Miami so that you will know exactly how to get to the port. Our GPS lead us on a round about way to the port. The MSC Divina is docked at Terminal F. We parked at the port parking garage across from this terminal. It cost $20 a day for which you pay at the end of the cruise. There are cheaper places but we totally trust this place to take care of my car, and we also like being able to go directly to our car after the cruise. We brought two suitcases. We checked the suitcase that held all of clothes and shoes and carried the one that held our medicines, cosmetics, and other essentials with us. This is the first time that we had ever checked a bag other than the time where we used Carnival's Faster to the Fun. We were quickly checked in and received a number 3 boarding pass. We didn't get to board until 1:00 pm. We were told that our cabin wouldn't be ready until 1:30 so went to get something to eat from the cafeteria. There are food stations everywhere. I highly recommend the ethnic dishes. After eating a delicious lunch, we went off to find our cabin and then explore the beautiful Divina.yhy6y4ez.jpg3e2a2a5a.jpgneze8a2e.jpgeqegeden.jpgtyvezubu.jpg

Superb idea about the resort and looking forward to the second part of your cruise review

Thanks for your post.. I look forward to your review.

What type accommodation did you have? Gorgeous!

Barbara

We had a category 8 balcony cabin. It was in the back set of balcony cabins that were set out from the ship. The balcony cabins that were inset but more in the middle of the ship had a slightly limited view. I did sneak a peak in these cabins. They were huge! Our cabin was on the opposite side from the theater but directly above our dining room. We would often walk down the deck 9 corridor and then go up instead of going to deck 7 to get from one place to another. Deck 7 goes from one end of the ship to other. The other decks are blocked by the kitchen.

We didn't know about the themed nights before boarded. The third night, it was suggested that people dress in green, white, and red to celebrate Italy. It was carried out in the dining room, with the evening's show, "Simply Italian," and a team game, MSC's Little Italy, was dedicated to Italian music, dance and folklore and held in the Black and White lounge. The fourth night, it was suggested that people dress as you would have in the 60's, 70's, and 80's. This was for the Flower Glory Party that was also held in the Black and White Lounge. "Fancy a trip back to the 60's, 70's, and 80's? Join us and be sure to wear some flowers in your hair! Step back in time to the 60's and 70's by wearing your finest floral garments! The suggested dress for the fifth night was casual white. There was a White Party held at the Aqua Park on deck 14. Of course, Gala Formal Nights were held on second and sixth nights while the first and last night's dress was casual.

My husband and I have cruised many times on various cruise lines including the MSC Poesia. I will have to say that the entertainment team on the MSC Divina was the best that I have ever witnessed over all my times of cruising. These young men and ladies did everything that they could to get everyone involved in the activities.

My husband and I loved the nightly shows. The first show was for 2nd seating dinner guests and held at 7:00 p.m. The second show was held for the 1st seating dinner guests and held at 9:00 p.m. I recommend that you get to the shows at least 30 minutes before hand for the seats in the middle or up close. There are no bad seats in the theater. If you sit up close or by the aisle, you may have some interaction with the performers because the do come out in the audience. First night's show was "The Witches of Paris." It is described as French Variety at its best and including dances numbers, singing, and acrobatics. The second night's show was "Wonderland: A Wonderful World of Imagination." If you only see one show, you must see this one! It reminded me of the Cirque du Soleil shows. The third night's show was "Simply Italian, The Best Italian Songs." The fourth night's show was "The music and talent of comedy impressionist, Scott Record". The fifth night's show was "Pirates, Billy Bones". The sixth night's show was "Starwalker: A Tribute to Michael Jackson". The last night's show was "Frank Forever: A musical tribute to Frank Sinatra". I loved all of the shows! I truly believe that these shows featured the best entertainment that I have ever witnessed on a cruise ships. Excellent singers, excellent dancers, and excellent acrobatics! All shows were about 40 minutes long.

Edited by Luckyone2
Added time length of shows.

We didn't know about the themed nights before boarded. The third night, it was suggested that people dress in green, white, and red to celebrate Italy. It was carried out in the dining room, with the evening's show, "Simply Italian," and a team game, MSC's Little Italy, was dedicated to Italian music, dance and folklore and held in the Black and White lounge. The fourth night, it was suggested that people dress as you would have in the 60's, 70's, and 80's. This was for the Flower Glory Party that was also held in the Black and White Lounge. "Fancy a trip back to the 60's, 70's, and 80's? Join us and be sure to wear some flowers in your hair! Step back in time to the 60's and 70's by wearing your finest floral garments! The suggested dress for the fifth night was casual white. There was a White Party held at the Aqua Park on deck 14. Of course, Gala Formal Nights were held on second and sixth nights while the first and last night's dress was casual.

My husband and I have cruised many times on various cruise lines including the MSC Poesia. I will have to say that the entertainment team on the MSC Divina was the best that I have ever witnessed over all my times of cruising. These young men and ladies did everything that they could to get everyone involved in the activities.

Thanks for posting this info about the theme nights. We sail in a few weeks, so I will keep this in mind while packing!

Your information is so very helpful! Thanks for the tips on the shows and listing the titles.... what is the Pirate show? A music show of some type?

I read they tried to "Americanize" the Divina -- did you notice? I really booked her because I wanted a bit of 'foreign' taste in cruising. Is it much like the other cruise lines from Miami?

Do they still announce everything in 5 languages or did they cut back on that a bit? I've not cruised MSC but I'd read normally it was in 5 languages in Europe.

I am sure you will get to the food - but wondering if you enjoyed the food in the Dining room and how it compared to the buffet at various meals.

Great tips about the Galley blocking the lower decks -- I now see that on the deck plans - our cabin is just a few aft of your location.

What were your ports? Which side of the ship normally docked facing the 'gangplank' in port?

I am looking forward to the rest of your comments -- we cruise in January! & we are from the South too :)

Edited by travelingla

Did many people dress up for these events?

Also, was there any opera on your cruise?

Thanks again for your review!

Barbara

I was on same cruise

it was only 3 nights - and they told us not formal, just wear white (tho many did not hear/see this haha)....saw no tuxes...

some suits..

7 night might be different but probably not in Caribbean...I was on 7night Poesia last april and it was already getting more casual....suits instead of tuxes...but some long gowns, sparkle tops etc

NO opera on the Divina that I heard....2 singers both more Pop tho maybe the guy will attempt some Bochelli>?? I don't know

they used to have 3 singers...2 opera 1 pop

as stated many times - no more announcements in 5 languages (except for basic muster drill on loudspeaker)...as I said in my mini review here on the boards....the food and decor etc is Italian, the gelato...Italian brands, officers...some staff...but....many more speak English now (yay)

They have really cool black and white photos of stars from 50's and 60's visiting Italy - neat exhibition of these - La Dolce Vita

Italian Night is fun - Tiramasu :) Enjoy

I think that more people would have dressed for the theme nights if they had known. I do think that people made an attempt to dress for the white night theme. I didn't really notice any difference for the other nights. I think that it would have been nice to know ahead about these theme nights.

Julie

I especially enjoyed the food from the ethnic station in the buffet. We couldn't find any omelettes made to order in the morning in the buffet. My husband and I loved the Eggs Benedict for breakfast in the main dining room. We almost always ate in the dining room for all meals. It could get quite hectic in the buffet. The salads, appetizers, and deserts in the dining room were always great. I always chose the freshly made pasta for my entree and was always pleased. My husband chose one of the main entrees, and he wasn't always happy with it. He simply said that it was okay. I will say that we had excellent wait staff. Our waiter was always sensitive to our likes and dislikes and would quickly tell us if there wasn't anything that we didn't like that he would bring something else for us. The gelatos and sorbets are great; however, I wasn't crazy about the mint sorbet.

The next morning we left by 7 and arrived at Port of Miami by 11. I highly recommend buying a SunPass for the Florida Turnpike so that you won't waste time going through the tolls. I also recommend studying a map of Miami so that you will know exactly how to get to the port. Our GPS lead us on a round about way to the port. The MSC Divina is docked at Terminal F. We parked at the port parking garage across from this terminal. It cost $20 a day for which you pay at the end of the cruise. There are cheaper places but we totally trust this place to take care of my car, and we also like being able to go directly to our car after the cruise. We brought two suitcases. We checked the suitcase that held all of clothes and shoes and carried the one that held our medicines, cosmetics, and other essentials with us. This is the first time that we had ever checked a bag other than the time where we used Carnival's Faster to the Fun. We were quickly checked in and received a number 3 boarding pass. We didn't get to board until 1:00 pm. We were told that our cabin wouldn't be ready until 1:30 so went to get something to eat from the cafeteria. There are food stations everywhere. I highly recommend the ethnic dishes. After eating a delicious lunch, we went off to find our cabin and then explore the beautiful Divina.yhy6y4ez.jpg3e2a2a5a.jpgneze8a2e.jpgeqegeden.jpgtyvezubu.jpg

How far was it to walk from parking your car to Terminal F? Thanks.

Parking Garage G is directly opposite Terminal G, and Terminal F is right next to it. Terminal F is less than half a city block away from the Parking Garage G. You drive in following the signs to Terminal F. You will drive in front of the terminal and, then, past the parking garage. The entry way to the garage is in what I would consider the backside of the parking garage. Any doubt, stop and ask any of the many people on duty there.

http://www.miamidade.gov/portmiami/library/portmiami-map.pdf

The dining room is open all days. We ate there everyday except when we went to Maho Beach on Sint Maarten.

Parking Garage G is directly opposite Terminal G, and Terminal F is right next to it. Terminal F is less than half a city block away from the Parking Garage G. You drive in following the signs to Terminal F. You will drive in front of the terminal and, then, past the parking garage. The entry way to the garage is in what I would consider the backside of the parking garage. Any doubt, stop and ask any of the many people on duty there.

http://www.miamidade.gov/portmiami/library/portmiami-map.pdf

Thank you so much. Leaving early in the morning for Florida and stay part of way then do rest of way Sat. morn.