Walkie talkies

Sailor's Momma

My son and I used them on the Legend in 2006. Worked great.

Funny story to go with this. Second day at sea he loses his walkie talkie in the arcade. We report it lost at the front desk and go to our cabin.

Ten minutes later I try calling it and someone answers they have it. I say we're on deck 7 cabin 7262. The gentleman answers we are down the hall. Walk down there and the guy says "Brian! I didn't know you were on this cruise!" He was a neighbor who lives down the street from us back home. Can you believe it? In the middle of the ocean, a hometown neighbor finds our walkie talkie!!!

Of course he's 18 now and no need for them this summer on our Breakaway cruise.

~robin and brian

(summertime jersey shore beach bums)

Norwegian Breakaway 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Edited by meatball_nyc

My son and I used them on the Legend in 2006. Worked great.

Funny story to go with this. Second day at sea he loses his walkie talkie in the arcade. We report it lost at the front desk and go to our cabin.

Ten minutes later I try calling it and someone answers they have it. I say we're on deck 7 cabin 7262. The gentleman answers we are down the hall. Walk down there and the guy says "Brian! I didn't know you were on this cruise!" He was a neighbor who lives down the street from us back home. Can you believe it? In the middle of the ocean, a hometown neighbor finds our walkie talkie!!!

Of course he's 18 now and no need for them this summer on our Breakaway cruise.

~robin and brian

(summertime jersey shore beach bums)

Norwegian Breakaway 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

What an awesome story!

~Sailor's Momma~

We still bring our Motorola FRS radios (yellow) and our kids are grown.

Don't really use them on the ship much, but we have used them to communicate with our son as we sat on the beach at HMC and he had slept in back on the ship. He called us when he woke up and was able to see us based on our radio communications. Then he used it to find us on the beach when he took the tender over from the ship.

Edited by The4Cruisers

We still bring our Motorola FRS radios (yellow) and our kids are grown.

Don't really use them on the ship much, but we have used them to communicate with our son as we sat on the beach at HMC and he had slept in back on the ship. He called us when he woke up and was able to see us based on our radio communications. Then he used it to find us on the beach when he took the tender over from the ship.

Hi The4Cruisers! Would you say that make and model of walkie talkie worked well for you around the ship (when you did use it on the ship)? Thanks!

We used to use them, but they really don't work that well unless you are pretty close to the other party. The Dream is a huge ship and you will need some real powerful ones.... I don't bother anymore, and it looks like not many people do either.

Hi The4Cruisers! Would you say that make and model of walkie talkie worked well for you around the ship (when you did use it on the ship)? Thanks!

I can't say much about how they work on the ship. We only used them from room to room (across the hall or down a few doors). We didn't try to use them front to back of ship or between floors.

While we had them on, we did hear other people having conversations with their radios. So, they must provide sort of coverage onboard.

I have a cheap pair from Vox. They are over 10 years old and still work fine. They have a 1 mile range which is more than enough for any ship. As mentioned by others, there can be problems within the ship, but you can get around that somewhat by being on the same side when talking. We used to have our daughters check in with us at specified times and tried to be on the same side of the ship. Not a perfect system, but better than nothing. Wife and I still use them when we sail.

Thanks for the replies. We have a rather $$ pair for our business. I wasn't sure about the use of them though. This is my parents' first cruise. My mother is a little nervous. I thought maybe this was a way to have some space as well as spend time together. ;)

~Sailor's Momma~

Edited by Sailor's Momma

Can anyone recommend a specific brand or type?

We brought some on the Inspiration last year and although they advertised 20 mile radius... Uhh NO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We use motorolla 27 mile radius. Have worked great on both the Spirit and Inspiration :)

if you holler really loud, long enough, eventually the wts will work for you. Sometimes, you really need to shout into them for an inordinately long time but eventually the message will become clear. To everyone around you.

good one luddite!!!;)

I always make the kids carry them and they work great. You have to remember that the mileage on the radio is line of sight with no interference. So you need a solid 36 mile radio just to speak from the top deck to a lower cabin. You also want to get a radio with private channels and the highest power output available on those private channels. I use Midland gtx 760's 36 mile with 5 watts of power and private channels.