Jewel Day by Day Photo Review 11/16/2013 (Southern Caribbean)

Wonderful, Wonderful, review!!!!!! We are going on the Jewel Jan. 2015. I am so looking forward to going on the smaller ship again. We went on the Freedom of the seas a few yrs ago and I did not care for the larger ship at all. That's just me!!

• 3 weeks later...
That sounds wonderful Karen!! On our itinerary (sounds like your 2nd week) the formal nights were day 2 (Tortola)and day 5 (Dominica). Barbados is day 6 before the sea day.

I may not get all the Compii (this is how we refer to plural Cruise Compasses;)) posted before you leave...if you want to peek at all of them before you leave, post an email address and I will send them all to you!

There were quite a few B2B's when we sailed- especially retirees and younger folks from overseas! You pretty much get the whole Caribbean covered in a B2B with this ship!! I hope you have wonderful anniversary and enjoy your cruises!!

Hi, I am a group leader on jewel,4/5/14 could I get a copy of the compass, that would be swell. Thanks Ron HVACRTEC@gmail.com

Just found this review coming from your Enchantment review.

You should no consider me a co-writing admirer (and no longer 50 something :)).

I've actually started looking for cruises that stop in Dominicana but haven't found one yet.:(

Hi, I am a group leader on jewel,4/5/14 could I get a copy of the compass, that would be swell. Thanks Ron HVACRTEC@gmail.com

I only have the scans as jpgs, but I emailed them to you...hope it helps!

Just found this review coming from your Enchantment review.

You should no consider me a co-writing admirer (and no longer 50 something :)).

I've actually started looking for cruises that stop in Dominicana but haven't found one yet.:(

Where to next for you? I thought Brilliance was headed to SJ eventually to replace Jewel, with Jewel going west and then back through the PC at some point. none of the Brilliance cruises have Dominica??

Thanks for finding this one!:D I look forward to reading your next one!!

Familygoboston, I'm not sure if anyone addressed your Summit questions, but we sailed her in 2011 and had an awesome aft cabin. The two cabins you saw are the Penthouse cabins. We sailed in a family veranda (Cat FV) which is normally for 4 or 5, but they removed that restriction shortly before sailing and we grabbed it. Our was one of the "end" ones on the aft that jutted out. We had a regular cabin and bathroom, plus a full sitting room behind opaque sliding doors with two sofas and another TV. Then, the huge balcony with part sun, part shade, a dining table and two loungers. It was awesome. I love the Summit and we'd sail her again in a moment (of course, we prefer RCI when we sail with children).

I only have the scans as jpgs, but I emailed them to you...hope it helps!

Where to next for you? I thought Brilliance was headed to SJ eventually to replace Jewel, with Jewel going west and then back through the PC at some point. none of the Brilliance cruises have Dominica??

Thanks for finding this one!:D I look forward to reading your next one!!

Thank you

My next cruise is in May.

EOS to Bermuda with my camera and three models (also the wife, son and granddaughter so I'm safe. LOL)

Getting paid to cruise?? Sounds good:D

Familygoboston, I'm not sure if anyone addressed your Summit questions, but we sailed her in 2011 and had an awesome aft cabin. The two cabins you saw are the Penthouse cabins. We sailed in a family veranda (Cat FV) which is normally for 4 or 5, but they removed that restriction shortly before sailing and we grabbed it. Our was one of the "end" ones on the aft that jutted out. We had a regular cabin and bathroom, plus a full sitting room behind opaque sliding doors with two sofas and another TV. Then, the huge balcony with part sun, part shade, a dining table and two loungers. It was awesome. I love the Summit and we'd sail her again in a moment (of course, we prefer RCI when we sail with children).

Thank you for that info! Some of the cabins looked like suites and we don't book suites, so I was hoping that some of them were just regular cabins. But I think they are "onto" us and designing the newer ships with that prime aft real estate as suite cabins;) Winter 2015/16 is open (an alarming thought:eek:) and I am researching my options of a cruise or other trip...haven't decided what yet!

Ah, well the majority of aft cabins on Summit are "Concierge Class" cabins. These are NOT suites, but I think the afts are all C1s. Actually, the price is usually comparable or LESS than RCI's D1's, so check them out. Concierge class means you get some silly perks like a pillow menu, cheese and fruit to your cabin each night, an expanded room service menu, etc. Usually minimally higher in price than a regular balcony, especially once you consider size. Kind of like the different between an E2 and a D1 balcony on RCI.

Very enjoyable TR.....thank you!

Ah' date=' well the majority of aft cabins on Summit are "Concierge Class" cabins. These are NOT suites, but I think the afts are all C1s. Actually, the price is usually comparable or LESS than RCI's D1's, so check them out. Concierge class means you get some silly perks like a pillow menu, cheese and fruit to your cabin each night, an expanded room service menu, etc. Usually minimally higher in price than a regular balcony, especially once you consider size. Kind of like the different between an E2 and a D1 balcony on RCI.[/quote']

Thanks, this is what I've been trying to figure out...I don't mind paying a little more to get an aft cabin, especially one with loungers on it, but I haven't discovered any reason to pay double for a suite on Royal; I've never been able to make the math work.;) I am still learning the Celebrity cabin categories, but I'm unlikely to pay for a pillow menu and cheese I can get for free at the buffet, unless it meant one of those great aft cabins!

Great thread!!! We are researching our upcoming cruise on the Jewel of the Seas in November and love all the pictures and review of your trip. Thanks!:)

Thanks! It was a great time to go, we had terrific weather and clam seas,big puffy clouds provided a little shade on warm days, but no real rain, hope you get the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Familygoboston,

Wanted to say that your review was just a pleasure to read.

We will be going in April 2014 on the exact same itinerary. We will celebrating our 30th anniversary. YEA!!!!

Needless to say the review helped tremendously.

If you have the time can you please forward me copies of the Compii to dugas5433@bellsouth.net.

It would very much appreciated.

Thanks,

First of all, thank you so much for a wonderful, wonderful review! It was one of the best I've read.......and, I've read a lot!!

We are sailing on the Jewel next summer and contemplating making reservations for the same sailing excursion in Barbados that you took. This will be a first for us.....neither of us have ever snorkeled before! I'm wondering if you can tell me if you think it's an ok trip for novices? Also, I've recently had double knee replacements, and I'm a bit worried about getting into and out of the boat. Was it difficult to do that?

Thank you so much for any advice you can offer! I will look forward to your post!

And, again, thanks for your Jewel review. It's sure helped to get us more and more excited for June!:D

First of all, thank you so much for a wonderful, wonderful review! It was one of the best I've read.......and, I've read a lot!!

thank you- so nice of you!

We are sailing on the Jewel next summer and contemplating making reservations for the same sailing excursion in Barbados that you took. This will be a first for us.....neither of us have ever snorkeled before! I'm wondering if you can tell me if you think it's an ok trip for novices? Also, I've recently had double knee replacements, and I'm a bit worried about getting into and out of the boat. Was it difficult to do that?

By far one of the easiest for newbies I've ever done! First, there is a nice platform off the back with a ladder that makes it pretty easy. But even if it's a tiny bit challenging the guys are in the water with you- they will give you a boost, and a hand up or whatever assist you need to make it work.

Also, for newbies, you can choose to snorkel with a vest or a noodle or BOTH, if you are really feeling you want some security ! :D.

Additionally, one of the guys is out in the water with you, you can stick as close to them as you like and they have a floaty ring you can hang on to and they will pull you if you feel stuck or tired.

Honestly, I've been on snorkel tours (usually ship sponsored) where ive seen newbies flounder not knowing how to use equipment and not getting help. With Calabaza the guys will help as much as you need and yet, DH and I are very competent snorkelers and we were not required to wear vests or "stick close" to the guide (although we were respectful of staying within eyesight, so we wouldn't hold up the group before making the next stop).

So I was very impressed with the level of individual attention you get, but based on your needs! I promise you won't regret it, you'd be choosing a good outfit for a first experience! Just let then know right off that you are a newbie and they will start going through things for you a little early(like fitting your mask and fins) so you are ready at "go time!" It's a good choice too because if you don't like it, or get tired, the boat is so comfy. One couple we sailed with, he snorkels, she doesn't even like to swim in the ocean and they both had a lovely time.

I'm being completely upfront with you- there are other trips where I'd have said, no don't do it, but this one would be a great first experience!

Thank you so much for any advice you can offer! I will look forward to your post!

And, again, thanks for your Jewel review. It's sure helped to get us more and more excited for June!:D

I'm jealous, wish I was headed back this summer! Please do a little review, at least of the excursion, because I'd love to hear how it goes for you!

Familygoboston, thank you for an excellent review! I am researching what our next cruise should be and your Jewel itinerary is on my list. That is why I chose your review. Whether we end up choosing to cruise on the Jewel at this point or do a different cruise , I am very glad I chose your review for my research! I've taken notes and set bookmarks for future reference. Yes, I am a planner, I know you understand that.

I have discovered I really want to go to Barbados! That snorkeling excursion with the turtles is exactly the kind of thing I want to do.

Most of all, I have thoroughly enjoyed your wonderful writing style, your sense of humor, all the awesome pictures, and your great attitude towards cruising and life in general. I will be keeping an eye out for your other reviews, so you will be seeing me around.

Nancy

• 3 months later...

I posted a new thread looking for you!! :D Someone suggested this would be a more reliable way to reach you!

This review helped me SO MUCH in planning my March 2014 cruise on Jewel. Now I'm booked on Jewel for 2016. I think I saw on the port of call boards that you did the land and sea tour with Herod in St. Lucia. Would love a review. Thanks!

• 1 year later...
I posted a new thread looking for you!! :D Someone suggested this would be a more reliable way to reach you!

This review helped me SO MUCH in planning my March 2014 cruise on Jewel. Now I'm booked on Jewel for 2016. I think I saw on the port of call boards that you did the land and sea tour with Herod in St. Lucia. Would love a review. Thanks!

Oh my gosh, missed this! Sorry! We did not end up using Herods. I really liked their tour, but they never returned my messages. I think they need a minimum number of people (like 10-12 ) for the boat and they don't even give you the time of day if you enquire without the group already pretty much formed and ready to pay. If you can get a group together from your roll call forst, you might have better luck!

We did use Real St Lucia- I dis a full review in my Adventure review, noted in my signature below. In general I really liked the guide, but it was a very very busy day in port (multiple ships) and we did the "standard" tour of all the usual sites. We had the advantage of being in a car not a mini bus (15-20 people) so it was more nimble parking etc. But the sites were all way to crowded. In retrospect, (and this is our fault not Real St Lucias) we should have specified more off the beaten path places, like the Tet Paul trail which had fabulous views and we had it virtually to ourselves! We should have asked to go down into the fishing village to meet our guides pals fishing (he was waving to them) rather than stand at a crowded overlook with zillions of others, but we didn't ask- even though we had a private tour! Next visit I would either 1- hike a piton or 2- go to the old Jalousie beach (which is now a new resort)

We did get to go to our Pack for a Purpose drop off at Sandals, which was a request we made and it was cheerfully handled by Real St Lucia...we just didn't direct enough, but if you do, they will accommodate whatever you want!

Sorry for the delay,but I think you've still got time to sort it out;) email me at go see it travel at gmail dot com if I can help with anything else!

I really enjoyed seeing the SEA HORSE. It put a smile on my face that will last for a long time.

Lol, I couldn't resist!

Thank you so much for this review! I realize that it is a lot of work and even though your sailing was a while ago, I wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed it and have found the info very useful. We sail in Feb 2016, just before the Jewel goes into dry dock. Your review makes me look forward to going even more. We are still very much 'newbies' to cruising so this is great information! Thank you again for doing this! :)

Thank you so much for this review! I realize that it is a lot of work and even though your sailing was a while ago, I wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed it and have found the info very useful. We sail in Feb 2016, just before the Jewel goes into dry dock. Your review makes me look forward to going even more. We are still very much 'newbies' to cruising so this is great information! Thank you again for doing this! :)

Thank you! I'm glad it's helpful! Whenever I'm new to a cruise or destination, I read as much as I can, which is why I enjoy writing reviews when I go somewhere!

I think you will enjoy this southern itinerary, there is lots to do! Depending on what ports you are visiting , you might find my more recent Adventure review (linked in my signature) helpful and I also have several posts about southern Caribbean ports on our website. Thanks again for reading! Enjoy your cruise!