How do Solstice class sofa beds work?

TommyD3

Can anyone describe to me how the Solstice class sofa beds work (convert into a bed)?

We have used the sofa beds on the Century & Millennium class ships many times. On those ships the sofa beds are like the ones people have at home - remove the cushions and pull out the metal bed frame (with its thin mattress).

On the Solstice class ships the sofas are a modern hard leather unit with no visible way of converting into a bed. We tried to figure it out while in the family cabin but could not - did not need the bed so it was NBD. Do they somehow make into a bed large enough for two?

We are thinking about getting a suite with the free 3rd /4th promotion but are concerned about the sleeping arrangements:confused:

Way back on the first Christmas Solstice sailing, I posted photos and descriptions, but the short answer is that it is a trundle...a twin mattress that pulls out like a drawer below the sofa. We have found this makes it tight getting around it to balcony and can't open bureau drawers. If available, my DD and I prefer the pull down from the ceiling Pullman bed...look for the cabin symbols with both bed types, the cabins for four, with both a square and triangle (upper berth) Even the trundle bed is not in every cabin, only those marked.

If you plan to have four people to the cabin, it will be very tight but doable. Other advantage is the Pullman can stay open during the day, while the trundle has to be made up ASAP or there is no floor space to walk. She tried sleeping on top of sofa, but as noted, that is hard and the bedding does not fit well.

Edited by Janet987

Way back on the first Christmas Solstice sailing, I posted photos and descriptions, but the short answer is that it is a trundle...a twin mattress that pulls out like a drawer below the sofa. We have found this makes it tight getting around it to balcony and can't open bureau drawers. If available, my DD and I prefer the pull down from the ceiling Pullman bed...look for the cabin symbols with both bed types, the cabins for four, with both a square and triangle (upper berth) Even the trundle bed is not in every cabin, only those marked.

If you plan to have four people to the cabin, it will be very tight but doable. Other advantage is the Pullman can stay open during the day, while the trundle has to be made up ASAP or there is no floor space to walk. She tried sleeping on top of sofa, but as noted, that is hard and the bedding does not fit well.

We are looking at a Sky Suite which according to Celebrity will sleep 4 adults. Based on your posting one would have to sleep on the trundle and the fourth on the hard sofa itself? The only furniture listed are the two beds and the sofa bed. Thanks.

Ah, mentioning the hard leather, I assumed you were looking at regular verandas. My understanding is that the Sky Suites do have regular sleep sofas.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1924903

Can see they are different in the SS cabin photos in brochure/on website, but I have not used them, so maybe someone else can help. They seem fine from the response to above thread.

I think they have virtually all kinds of beds on the S class ships so it will depend on how a particular cabin is furnished and how many it sleeps. I've heard of pullman beds that lower from the ceiling, rooms that just convert the top of the sofa to a bed (it's back cushions are removable like a day bed), and rooms that have a trundle type bed that pulls out from the bottom of the sofa. The sofa in all of the S class rooms I've been in (All verada rooms including standard veranda, CC and AQ) have all been built in units so none have had a traditional fold out sofa bed.

I have been on the Solstice twice and slept on the sofa bed both times. First time it was a trundle that pulled out from the bottom of the sofa. The second time (this past June) they just put a mattress on top of the sofa. I slept really well both times (and I am 34 years old). I found it to be way, way more comfortable than say Carnival's sofa bed...:rolleyes:

S class Sky Suite has a large fabric sofa with a queen sized pullout. It is very comfortable, but I still ask for a layer on comforter or an "egg crate topper" when the room steward makes it up each night. I have had no issues with the sleeper sofa in a suite.

I have been on the Solstice twice and slept on the sofa bed both times. First time it was a trundle that pulled out from the bottom of the sofa. The second time (this past June) they just put a mattress on top of the sofa. I slept really well both times (and I am 34 years old). I found it to be way, way more comfortable than say Carnival's sofa bed...:rolleyes:

Daughter and SIL cruised with his mother in a balcony cabin on Solstice. Like your experience, the steward just put a mattress on top of the sofa. MIL said it was very comfotable.

Daughter and SIL cruised with his mother in a balcony cabin on Solstice. Like your experience, the steward just put a mattress on top of the sofa. MIL said it was very comfotable.

Do they leave it like that during the day, or do they make it back into a sofa?

Do they leave it like that during the day, or do they make it back into a sofa?

They make them back into a sofa or otherwise put the 3rd/4th person beds away.

There is usually two times a day the stateroom is serviced unless you make a special request. In the morning (usually when you are at breakfast but sometimes later) the stateroom is made up for the day which will include the beds being made up and any 3rd or 4th beds being put away.

Then while you are at dinner in the evening the room will again be serviced and at this time they'll turn down the main beds and set up and 3rd or 4th beds if you are using them.

Ah, mentioning the hard leather, I assumed you were looking at regular verandas. My understanding is that the Sky Suites do have regular sleep sofas.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1924903

Can see they are different in the SS cabin photos in brochure/on website, but I have not used them, so maybe someone else can help. They seem fine from the response to above thread.

Thank you, the picture shows the old fashioned cloth pull out sleeper sofa.

This is exactly what I was looking for:)

S class Sky Suite has a large fabric sofa with a queen sized pullout. It is very comfortable, but I still ask for a layer on comforter or an "egg crate topper" when the room steward makes it up each night. I have had no issues with the sleeper sofa in a suite.

Thank you for the reply. That is exactly what I was hoping for. It is weird since the "family" cabins at the front of the ship only have the hard leather sofas:confused:

Thank you, the picture shows the old fashioned cloth pull out sleeper sofa.

This is exactly what I was looking for:)

Glad that you were able to snag this good deal and the sleeper sofa in a SS will work for you. We're on the Jan 11th sailing in AQ..looking forward to a relaxing week of sun.

They make them back into a sofa or otherwise put the 3rd/4th person beds away.

Thanks. Yes, that was always my experience on most cruise lines, including celebrity when the 3rd bunk was a 'real' sofa bed. However on Carnival they also do the "put a mattress on top of the sofa to make it a bed" thing, and then they just leave it like that. So you basically lose your sofa. The carnival cabin steward wouldn't put it "back" during the day. Claimed he had no place else in the room to put the extra mattress.

I wasn't sure what Celebrity did on the S class for cabins that used this similar bedding arrangement, where a mattress is put on top if the sofa.