Aft Cabins and motion

Liss

Hi,

We are booked in PH 8063 on the Regatta in January. This is an aft cabin. I know that midship is the best place for not feeling the motion of the ship but since it was pricier we went with the aft cabin. I've read that rooms towards the bow feel more motion, and you may hear the stabilizers, etc. But what about the back of the ship? Can you feel lots or motion, hear noises from the propeller or whatever?

Liss

We've been in a PH towards the back, they're pretty quiet. The only real noise we heard was from the occasional chair movement on the deck above.

Ship motion was not an issue, but the seas on our trip were fairly calm.

No worries.

Frank

Dear Liss,

Just wanted you to know that you are right under the Terrace Cafe where setup for breakfast is done very early. If you don't like to "sleep-in", then go for it. You will feel the motion of the ship more there than in the middle of the ship. That doesn't bother me.

Sheila

We were in this room in the Baltic last summer. No turbulance and no noise from the terrace restaurant.

It is actually forward of the set-up area and main dining.

The only movement we got was the night in the North Sea...a little fish-tailing.

I slept like a log...2 years on a Destroyer in Aft Officers' Quarters.

You will love 8063!

you should have no problems did a transatlantic on insignia was lucky enough to have an OS, so it was the very back of the ship. had no probs on the transatlantic , a little bouncy coming out of Lisbon, a few cupboard doors banged and 1 glass fell out. but no feeling of motion sickness. Well worth the movement for the OS or indeed any other cabin on Oceania.

regards JimGib

Regatta is a relatively small ship at 30,000 tons and will bounce around more in stormy seas than the large cruise ships of 80,000 to 110,000 tons. The stabilizers prevent the ship from rolling side to side. Instead, the ship will shudder, much like a jumbo jet in air turbulance. The stabilizers do not prevent pitching, the rocking motion front to back. Since the center of gravity of the ship is about 2/3 of the way along the length of the ship and that is the pivot point, the stern will move up and down less than the bow during pitching. Ships are designed this way to keep the propellers and rudder under water more. I was on Renaissance R6 (a sister of Regatta) in December 2000 going from Spain to Madiera when we sailed directly into an Atlantic gale with very high winds and heavy seas. The ship behaved beautifully, but it was a pretty wild ride. I have great sea legs and enjoyed sitting high up in the horizon lounge watching the waves crash over the bow. Unfortunately, many of the other passengers and crew did not enjoy the ride as much as I did.

Since you are sailing in January, I assume you will be in the Tropics where the winds will be warm and the seas calm, so you should have nothing to worry about.

Bill

What a fabulous response SailorBill...great info. I often wondered why the OS were at the rear of the ship which I would have expected to be bumpier.

Brian

On the R7 (a sister to the Oceania vessels), my wife and I experienced some engine or propeller vibration in an owner's suite on deck 6 when the ship was cruising at night. No motion, though. (And the vibration wasn't really a problem--it was soothing, like having a Magic Fingers massage without having to drop a coin in the slot.)

On the R7 (a sister to the Oceania vessels), my wife and I experienced some engine or propeller vibration in an owner's suite on deck 6 when the ship was cruising at night. No motion, though. (And the vibration wasn't really a problem--it was soothing, like having a Magic Fingers massage without having to drop a coin in the slot.)

While crossing the Tyrrhennian Sea one evening, we ran into heavy seas aboard the Insignia. We were dining aft and and watched the view from the stern alternate between sea and sky every ten seconds, but barely felt the motion, probably because we so close to the center of gravity. (Although Oceania lost about a hundred glasses that night). When we went forward to our cabin, however, we could feel the bow rise and fall like a bucking bronco, and we could feel (and hear) the stabilizers shuddering as they struggled to slice through the water to keep us on an even keel.

You might feel a little vibration at the stern from the propellers, but it's nothing compared to what those at the bow experience, especially when the ship uses her bow thrusters to maneuver alongside a pier.

Archived