Silhouette Review - 18 Nov out of Rome - Med and Adriatic Seas (13 Nights)

Iluvcruising2

The next few posts provide a glimpse of what we did in Venice. We sail into Venice in the morning and the sun was just rising.

hrxaa8.jpg

The ship would be following the channel here, and we will reach the cruise port. We would be the only ship in port that day.

2vmva7l.jpg

After getting off the ship, we would walk to the People Mover station. The people mover would take us to Piazalle Roma (P.Roma).

6r0mtd.jpg

We would buy our 36-hour Vaporetta tickets from here.

2d194pv.jpg

This was inside the river bus, Line Number 1. 3 seats on each side with a large center aisle. Each boat could take probably 150 to 200 pax. I can imagine that the boats must be packed in summer!

2uho0hs.jpg

Sunny cold day. Nice views from the aft of the river bus.

124ey38.jpg

Gondolas, moored for the winter! There were many more Gondolas than passengers during off-season.

263g6td.jpg

There is the Doge Palace. I think they are worth a visit. They have very grand rooms within, however, we were not allowed to take photos.

141jcsk.jpg

The line to enter the Basilica. The line moved very quickly.

6em0zq.jpg

St Mark's Square. A glorious day! (Wonder how much LG paid to have their huge advert there......)

2uhr37r.jpg

Here are some tourists on a gondola. Frankly, I think it is quite a squeeze to have so many people on the Gondola. Two is ideal!

25kn5mx.jpg

The gondolas bring you through the small canals. Very quaint.

2qut8gm.jpg

This was in Murano, watching the artisans producing Murano glass. They looked pretty, but we didn't buy any. Very fragile stuff!

28a2rg4.jpg

Now, this was a crane on a barge. The crane was actually doing some piling. Bang, bang, bang... we could hear the piling of wood into the river bed. Very interesting.

a9xvzd.jpg

What happens if there is a medical emergency and you need to be evacuated to the nearest hospital?

They send a water ambulance of course! That's the orange boat.

20krntu.jpg

This was the F.Nove Vaporetta station, located on the northern side of Venice main island. We had lunch in that pizzeria.

10i6uzt.jpg

Remember to validate your ticket BEFORE you get on the river bus. There are many ticket checkers, especially during high season.

24fe050.jpg

The view of the Silhouette from the aft, while the ship was docked in Venice.

250qio9.jpg

A closer look.

wtygox.jpg

Yes, we were in Venice.

mcun80.jpg

Main Dining Room Dinner menu that evening

izuv0o.jpg

This was the dessert menu.

2ug2byp.jpg

Look carefully. You might find somebody.

969a2v.jpg

Price lists for iPad minis and iPads. The ship didn't carry the iPad Air yet.

npf3te.jpg

A very empty gym that evening. The gym has a very spacious feel.

143dwfb.jpg

Edited by Iluvcruising2

Thanks for the review...re-living the cruise through your pictures and review. I even see us in one of your photos...the formal night dining room! Loved the Silhouette and the itinerary. Had a great time, seems you did as well.

Thanks for leaving a note.

Yes, we had a great time, though somtimes the seas were rather rocky!

This was our second day in Venice. The view from Rialto Bridge.

2ebbons.jpg

These were the narrow touristy streets. We went into many shops to browse.

24kw7y1.jpg

We bought some stuff from the Bata shop. I didn't realise that Bata was founded back in 1894. Long history.

vfeagj.jpg

We walk, and we walk. I relied heavily on my iPhone app called CityMaps2Go, which doesn't require a data connection. It uses the iPhone GPS. I must say that the major signposts were also useful, e.g. in this picture you can see Per Rialto. We looked at stuff in the Timberland shop but didn't buy any.

w85bhc.jpg

The rest of the pictures for our second day roaming attempt can be found here:

http://guitar123foodandtravel.blogspot.sg/2013/12/venice-overnight-call-part-4-roaming.html

Oh, before we leave Venice, here are some more Star Wars pictures.

Luke Skywalker visiting the local Police station.

spop.jpg

Looks like a nice place to take a break. Luke can't be fighting Darth Vader all the time. He needed a time-out too.

jsyqds.jpg

Of course, R2D2 can't be too far behind.

v3mx3t.jpg

We were supposed to be docking at Ravenna, the day after Venice. However, this didn't materialize. The seas were too rough, there were 35 to 40 knot winds and the port of Ravenna was closed. At about 8:30am, the Captain came on the intercom to announce that the decision had been made to skip the port of Ravenna and we would make our way towards Catania. We would have an additional sea day.

I think most passengers were fine with this decision. However, there were some unhappy customers, because they had missed this port of call. Oh well, you can't please everybody. Safety should always come first.

So this was a day for us to chill. Spare a thought for the crew. During a sea day, the crew works doubly hard. The Cruise Director had to scramble to put together many additional activities for the day. Crew had to work doubly hard. Additional activities they put in included dance lessons at the Centrum.

25tx0cn.jpg

Since we had time to walk around the ship, we did. This was the Blu Restaurant, for the Aqua Class passengers.

2iw38s3.jpg

Another angle of Blu.

vdjw45.jpg

During this additional sea day, the seas were rather rocky indeed! The Captain told us that we should exit the weather system and get to much calmer waters by late afternoon. He turned out to be absolutely correct. I guess with modern radar systems, the Bridge crew can forecast the sea state ahead quite accurately.

Edited by Iluvcruising2

That's for the review and great pictures. This is a cruise I am thinking about taking one day. Loved the ship, Venice, and St Marks Basilica!

I'll visit your web page and look at some of the videos too!

Thanks for leaving a note. Yes, this was a great cruise indeed and I would personally recommend Celebrity Cruises, especially if you do not have young ones with you!

(Overall, I think my kids still like Royal better though they had a very good time on Celebrity. This is to be expected since Royal is geared towards families with kids.)

We were supposed to be docking at Ravenna, the day after Venice. However, this didn't materialize. The seas were too rough, there were 35 to 40 knot winds and the port of Ravenna was closed. At about 8:30am, the Captain came on the intercom to announce that the decision had been made to skip the port of Ravenna and we would make our way towards Catania. We would have an additional sea day.

I think most passengers were fine with this decision. However, there were some unhappy customers, because they had missed this port of call. Oh well, you can't please everybody. Safety should always come first.

So this was a day for us to chill. Spare a thought for the crew. During a sea day, the crew works doubly hard. The Cruise Director had to scramble to put together many additional activities for the day. Crew had to work doubly hard. Additional activities they put in included dance lessons at the Centrum.

25tx0cn.jpg

I was up at 5:30 for the Ravenna day, blow drying my hair around 6ish, looking outside & realizing something was a bit wrong, by 6:45, we'd already made a few circles outside the dock area, but were unable to pull in, spoke w/cabin attendant shortly after 7 & he confirmed we probably wouldn't be docking, but they were looking for an alternative port.

We had breakfast in Blu, & then hightailed it to the chairs near guest relations to watch the side show of semi hysterical passengers demanding "compensation" Really? Missed ports are a part of cruising, but some folks don't realize this. Although I was really looking forward to Ravenna, I enjoyed the bonus sea day. & DH really enjoyed watching the complainers at the desk. :D

There have been many questions and comments on the Brunch on Celebrity. We had our Brunch on a sea day. The brunch was not well advertised, I found it on the Celebrity Today.

We were in the line before the doors opened. It was definitely crowded.

Here is a view of the Main Dining Room where brunch was served.

28slh5w.jpg

Look at the red X - for Celebrity

2eus6rt.jpg

For more pictures, please refer to my blog post:

http://guitar123foodandtravel.blogspot.sg/2013/12/brunch-on-celebrity-silhouette-nov-2013.html

Here are some pictures of the Celebrity iLounge. You had to come here to get your Internet set up. We used our free Internet minutes (45 minutes per Elite member). The staff helped me to set up my iPad to access the Internet and I could access from my stateroom. Take note though, the access speeds were usually very slow. Good enough for emails.

24vpgtj.jpg

Some of the iMacs available for us. You could surf Royal Caribbean websites for free. Good place to check up on your next cruise!

wcg6c4.jpg

To refrain from eating or drinking in the iLounge.

66vnmv.jpg

I have put more pictures as well as a short video my blog post - http://guitar123foodandtravel.blogspot.sg/2013/12/celebrity-silhouette-apple-ilounge-video.html

This was our final sea day, which was the third last day of the cruise. The next two days were port days, before we reach Rome.

9fto9w.jpg

We attended a very good lecture by the Captain title the secrets of navigation. Captain Dimitros was able to add a lot of humour into a rather serious topic. I learnt a lot from this lecture. Worth attending, if you know nothing, like me. Subsequently I found out that they put the entire lecture into the on-demand TV in the stateroom. So you could watch the lecture without attending and that was cool!

2445g9e.jpg

That's the captain speaking.

25qqdmh.jpg

This was the lobster.

34nm6c2.jpg

This was the Beef Wellington, something my kid really liked.

2jfm6p.jpg

The dessert menu for the evening.

f0on10.jpg

The Baked Alaska. We liked this a lot.

b9ehj8.jpg

This next video was taken after the final formal night dinner was served. I didn't know that they could turn the MDR into a Disco! It was fun. Patti Honacki was on the staircase between Deck 3 and 4, giving a short speech to recognize the waiters, assistant waiters and chefs on board. Fun!

I just found out that Cruise Director Patti Honacki has a public facebook page. She just got on the Silhouette on 18 Nov, taking over from Lisa Richard.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ive-Cruised-with-Cruise-Director-Patti-Honacki/327193559690