VAT Tax - Can someone please explain

Bobkat26

Hi there. So I booked our cruise today on the Serenade for August. Its a Barcelona to Rome trip. I keep reading different things and I am no completley confused. What is VAT tax? I am trying to do my budget and people say don't forget the VAT tax. Is this something extra above the prices of things I am paying. I am pre-purchasing tickets to different excursion ahead of time, will I have to pay an additional tax when I am there.

Help me please I am confused.:confused: Thanks in advance :)

Kathy

VAT stands for "Value Added Tax" and is basically a sales tax. Most prices are already inclusive of VAT taxes, but it is common for many independent retail or department stores to add VAT to the bill. However, you can claim a VAT refund. You will just need to ask the merchant at the point of sale for a form so that you can fill it out and present it to the refund center at the airport (forgive me, but I am not sure if it is customs or a special VAT refund center you go to - I forgot what it is called. If you shop in a mall, there is usually a refund center there too).

I am also not sure if there is a minimum spend requirement to be eligible for the refund. I trust you can find more information online if you do a Google search.

Now, if you are shopping locally (street vendors), no need to worry as this does not apply, since purchases are normally very low in value and are paid in cash.

Edited by brunello22

10% will be added to your drinks prices not refundable I believe, could be as high as 20% in the shops I think. I also think there is a minimum spend before you can claim back.

We just experienced this last June The crew on ship explained its not really the VAT TAX

They referred to it as the SPANISH TAX it was 10 percent more on drinks you purchase and 22 percent at all shops on the ship.

So not very good to shop on board 💃