From Tucson, possibly the most casual city in the US

I moved to the Tucson area about 6 years ago and was suprised to find how casual the city is.

Here's the categories for the dress code for the local restaurants:

Dressy: Put on your fanciest, dress-to-impress outfit.

High casual: Polish up with a polo shirt and khakis.

Tucson casual: Just about anything goes. Shirts and shoes, of course.

Here's the paper's price ranges:

Price-range estimates are for dinner for two. Drinks, tax and tip are not included.

¢ = Cheap! About $10

$ = $10-$20

$$ = $20-$30

$$$ = $30-$40

$$$$ = above $40

So I would think that the $$$ and $$$$ would be Dressy, the $$ would be "High Casual" and the $ & Cent would be Tucson Casual. Suprisingly, at the vast majority of $$$ and $$$$ High Casual to Dressy is considered acceptable and at a few $$$-$$$$ Tucson Casual is the rule of dress.

Here's a link the the news paper's rotating restaurant page:

http://www.dailystar.com/dailystar/caliente/80833.php

At the theater you see everything from shorts to coctail dresses on the women, and shorts, jeans and kahkis on the men.

Maybe it's heat, maybe it's the dust, maybe its bing way out West but it is weird how casual Tucson is.

Hi, I agree with the WOW;) on the 2 for dinner.

I don't have a partner and I eat out quite often on my own. Not necessarily

to pricey places but sometimes I do treat myself. Example, if anyone has

"The Cheesecake Factory" around their area...their food, in my opinion is

FABULOUS:D and they have an awesome Appetizier Menu and their fun Martinis are WONDERFUL.

A drink, appetizier, and of course a piece of cheesecake for dessert is around

25.00. They serve BIG ORDERS of food so the appetizer is more than enough.

I guess every part of the country is different.

Oh, you can go very casual around here too!

You really have to go to the extreme to find a meal price over $40 for dinner for two in Tucson. But remember that doesn't include tax, tip or drinks.

Jonathan's Cork is one of the moderate places where I've eaten that I thought the food was very good.

http://www.jonathanscork.com/menu.pdf

DH got transfered out to Tucson 6 years ago. We built a home in a planned developemnt, the kind with parks, side walks and neighborhood associations, but postage stamps for lots. We like the area and the neighbors, but just hated having such a small lot. So we moved out 35 miles south of Tucson to Sonoita. We now have a 4 acre lot, no sidewalks, but still a homeowner's association and great neighbors. We also have a great elementary school in our area. DH's commute is actually about 5 minutes shorter as there is no traffic, traffic lights and only one stop sign between here and his office.

I think Sonoita, being ranch country, may be even more casual than Tucson, where dressing up out here is usually fine Western Wear.

Moving to Dallas to Tucson was not as big a change as we thought it might be. Shopping is a bit more limited, but being a University and Resort city, Tucson has much to offer in terms of Dining and Entertainment. We get national tours of broadway and have a symphony and opera. There is even an Ice Skating rink. Some of the nicest restaurants are in the resort areas serving a variety of cuisine.

Janos is located at the Westin La Paloma. I sang at a wedding there last year and my husband and I decided to make a weekend of it with the kids at the resort. We sent the kids to the resort's baby sitting program and then we enjoyed a nice dinner at Janos. I thought it was one of the best meals I've ever had.

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/ent_dining/80628.php

We've also enjoyed a wonderful meal at the Gold Room, at the Westward Look Resort.

http://www.westwardlook.com/restaurants.aspx?nav=goldroom

However, the vast majority of dining establishments are much more casual and less expensive. Mexican restaurants are especially good, serving the Sonoran style indigenous (spelling) to the Tucson area.

http://www.elcharrocafe.com/index.asp

Tucson is a Golfer's paradise 9 months out of the year.

The weather is generally fabulous during the 9 months and a little hot in May and June, and then rainy in the afternoons in July and August.

We have even better weather here in Sonoita, being at about a 5000ft elevation we are a little cooler, and even have occasional snow in the winter.

Right now we are kind of bummed because the "Florida" fire is burning in the mountains about 20 miles away. During the day we've had lots of smoke in our valley, and at night we can see the flames lighting up the mountain.

With Tucson being so casual everyone in our family has to go "Cruise Clothes shopping" so that we have appropriate clothes for the cruise. DH and I actually did this before the Mercury, but I'll have to do this for my 7 and 9 year olds this fall.

I always like Arizona...was stationed south of Tucson for a while.

I did visit a friend once in Pheonix, and we went to the theater...there were people in khaki shorts and sandals! I was so shocked!

The cost of living was wonderful. A dinner for two that even a college student can afford! :)

The one thing I miss is the lack of humidity! Having moved from Arizona to Houston I often think back on my days of great hair and perfect skin!

Ahhhh....the memories :D

~e

Here in Sonoita we have a great restaurant where we often go with the kids and the bill is usually around $40 for 4 and that is before tip. They don't even have a kids menu. If we add a bottle of wine that of course ups the price.

http://quicksitemaker.com/members/cafesonoita/

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/patagoniaandsonoita/D46712.htm

The cost of living is very reasonable here in Arizona. I'm sure that is why so many people choose to retire here, or companies choose to relocate here.

I think people are afraid of the heat, but with the low humidity I really enjoy the weather more than the weather in Texas.

Then one drawback is the intense sun. When that study came out about 15 minutes of sun a day being good for you, a bunch of us fair skinned Arizonans joked that we probably get more than enough sun walking from the parking lot into the Safeway. You do have to be very careful about the sun, wear long sleeve and a hat, that kind of thing.

Where are you guys. That Cheesecake factory sounds good.

And where is it that you can't find a good place for $40? Is that in Manhattan? I know New York has the best food in the world, but is it al expensive?

And now getting back to the fashion subject. I looked at your slide show from the Mercury, Lois. I really liked the two formals. The sparkly one was stunning and I like the early 20th century detailing on the black one. I also liked the shawl. I sometimes find the dining room a little chilly and I'm sure the shawl helped.

Absolutely! We went to a little local Ethiopian restaurant last night and the tab was $76 before tip with NO alcohol! They don't even have a liquor license, so I brought a bottle of wine from home. Amazing!

I'd love the non-humidity, but I'd really miss being 2.5 hours from the ocean. ;)

Incredible, isn't it????

Jane

Suzanne, Thank you for the compliment about my dresses:) I love formal

nights!

Now, about Cheesecake Factory~some of the items are pricey. But it is not

a place I go to on a regular basis.

The menu is outstanding. They have EVERYTHING and whoever is cooking knows

how to cook:D.

I live on my own and nobody else takes me out to dinner so when I want to splurge that is one of my "more fun places" I treat myself to.....

And when people go out to dinner and IF..IF they have adult beverages, that is going to skyrocket the bill....no matter what. Liquor will add a ton to the total.

Maybe not a ton but plenty.....

There are plenty of times I go out and don't drink. Example, I will go for BBQ (I live in the South) and there are BBQ places on every corner...with BBQ I drink sweet tea...that is the "wine of the south";).

Lets say there are the 2 of you.....we can eat cheap down here. Rib Dinner, including fries, slaw and texas toast.....runs about 12.00 per dinner! So for less than 30 bucks (tax and tip) you can eat down here too.

Absolutely! We went to a little local Ethiopian restaurant last night and the tab was $76 before tip with NO alcohol! They don't even have a liquor license, so I brought a bottle of wine from home. Amazing!

I'd love the non-humidity, but I'd really miss being 2.5 hours from the ocean. ;)

Cheaper to fly to Ethopia and eat there!

I love those ethopian "crepes". Did you sit on the little 3 legged stools?

Jane

I don't know, AZ, we're in El Paso and go to Tucson once a year. I think the casual here on the border is much more lax. I hate seeing young women in Walmart with PJ bottoms and house slippers!!

By the way, we have a Jessica McClintock outlet - satin gowns for $40.00!!

We have the PJ's and slippers look here, accompanied by the occasional curlers.

I usually spend the night in El Paso when I drive back from spending time with may family in Dallas. We like to stay at the Airport Hilton because of the pool and water slide.

Our favorite place to eat is Carlos and Mickey's. I really like thier variety of Mexican food, especially the seafood soup, kind of a mexican Ciopinno. For the most part I remember people being dress pretty tastefully casual there.

I think the combination of desert living, proximity to the border and resort/retirement area, a just western sensibilities creat more casual cities. Dallas is a bit more dressy, especially some of the upscale clubs and restaurants. You do see casual clothes at the theater, but you see a lot of cocktail dresses and suits too.

Archived