Balcony door slammers! Argh u raised in a barn?

Sh1035

On my last few cruises I have been so lucky to be next to cabins that have no clue every time they slam the balcony door we all hear it! On my 9/28 liberty cruise it was the worst, cause they had the token everyone hang out cabin. So at 6:45 and every 3 minutes the door slammed. Since it was attached to my section of the wall I about fell out of bad.

So tomorrow I'm trying out my first ever window view because they can only slam the front door. I can sleep thru smokers but what's wrong with some folks????

This has been an ongoing problem for us as well. Luckily on our last cruise on Carnival Breeze, our neighbors were thoughtful. However, the previous cruise on Carnival Freedom we were not so lucky. They were early risers and slammed the balcony door every morning around six. After two days I had had enough. The next morning after the slam, I went on the balcony, leaned over the side and politely but firmly told them that their balcony door was only a few feet from my bed. Had no more problems the rest of the cruise. I really think they just didn't realize it, even though that's hard to believe.

Yep! It's aggravating, and not just the cabin next door. We've heard them from cabins farther down the hall, from the deck below, and from the deck above. That's one sound that definitely carries! I think it's a combination of first-time cruisers that don't think about it until after it happens, passengers that are a little too inebriated to prevent it, and young people (kids?) that just don't care.

It's easy to forget, and there is a tendency to want to secure it with a hard push, like a car door.

On the one and only balcony cabin that I had, it required a strong shove and then a sudden slowdown as the door met the frame. Too hard and it slammed, too soft and I wouldn't be able to get the latch to close. They could be better designed.

Seems like it isn't so hard to mention it to neighbors, and most would want to oblige.

Edited by larkz

We just cruised on the Niuew Amsterdam and the doors must have had an adjustment on them that prevented them from slaming as it would slow down before quietly closing itself. It just might be Carnivals lack of attention that the doors aren't adjusted correctly. Even our storm/screen doors at home can be set that way. Just sayin". I know I read this complaint all the time. Might be a question/suggestion to JohnHeald.

On the Glory, the door would NOT shut without force. We tried everything and then asked our cabin steward for help who told us we needed to give it a good pull (slam) to get it closed. Hated doing it and avoided using it when people would be sleeping, but that door would not latch otherwise.

On the Glory, the door would NOT shut without force. We tried everything and then asked our cabin steward for help who told us we needed to give it a good pull (slam) to get it closed. Hated doing it and avoided using it when people would be sleeping, but that door would not latch otherwise.

This was our experience on our last cruise on the Legend. We did the same thing as far as not closing it all the way early in the morning. Every time I had to pull it shut and it slammed my kids would laugh at me because I am always the one lecturing them on embarkation day about no slamming the balcony door...lol!

I'll be cruising for the first time next week so thanks for the heads-up! I will also let my kids know that the balcony doors and cabin doors will slam loudly. I'm usually pretty conscientious about the doors anyways...I travel a fair amount and there's nothing more annoying than the slamming of doors in a hotel. I've had to go out in the hall more than once to ask young kids to be more considerate and they've always responded well to that. I suppose if I have a neighbor on the ship that does this I will take the time to mention it to them and hope they stop.

Hi :)

Ahhhhhhhhhh the door slammers.. I agree of course that some doors may

not latch if not pushed hard, or some people may slam a door due to being

unfamiliar with the door or their surroundings, etc, etc..

However, I think they are outnumbered by the many humans that are simply

oblivious in various multiple aspects of slamming; this goes far beyond cruise

ship door/balcony slamming.

This happens quite often in regards to slamming cabinet doors, toilet seats,

car doors, drawers, and so on and so on. The list is endless.

I wish I knew the reasons as to why, and after 35 years of apartment

living, I still do not know the true answer.

:)

Yep! It's aggravating, and not just the cabin next door. We've heard them from cabins farther down the hall, from the deck below, and from the deck above. That's one sound that definitely carries! I think it's a combination of first-time cruisers that don't think about it until after it happens, passengers that are a little too inebriated to prevent it, and young people (kids?) that just don't care.

Oh gosh, I hope we didn't let the door slam back in May!!!

On my last few cruises I have been so lucky to be next to cabins that have no clue every time they slam the balcony door we all hear it! On my 9/28 liberty cruise it was the worst, cause they had the token everyone hang out cabin. So at 6:45 and every 3 minutes the door slammed. Since it was attached to my section of the wall I about fell out of bad.

So tomorrow I'm trying out my first ever window view because they can only slam the front door. I can sleep thru smokers but what's wrong with some folks????

Some people just don't realize how loud it slams. Have you tried just poking your head around and asking them to try not to let it slam? I would do that before I gave up my balcony.

Had a family next to me couple cruises ago on FREEDOM that was bad, with little kids in and out all day and night. I just made them aware of the slamming and that pretty much took care of it.

Jim

Edited by Thebosn1

Well, if you did, it's too late to worry about it now. But don't let it happen again, or you'll be fed to the fishies! :rolleyes::D

hehehehehehe - we really did try not to let them slam. Hopefully we did good. When Zach was over in our room though - well, kids will be kids. lol

Some people just don't realize how loud it slams. Have you tried just poking your head around and asking them to try not to let it slam? I would do that before I gave up my balcony.

Had a family next to me couple cruises ago on FREEDOM that was bad, with little kids in and out all day and night. I just made them aware of the slamming and that pretty much took care of it.

Jim

I somewhat agree with you but I feel that carnival should either put a sign in the room or make an announcement to ask people not to let the doors slam. Or they should invest some money into closers that don't allow them to slam every time. I can see the door slamming once in a while if you have the cabin door open. But the slamming above us was so bad on our legend cruise that I am with the poster that said they got an oceanview room instead. We are on the paradise next month and got an OV and inside cabin. I just don't want to spend the money on a balcony and then have to be woken up at 530am by the door slamming above us. I thought it was children going in and out but my husband saw the couple one day and I guess it was an older couple. I really wasn't sure if they were directly above us or above us one room in front or back. The other 2 lines we have been on have sliding balcony doors, so it's not a problem.

Hi :)

Ahhhhhhhhhh the door slammers.. I agree of course that some doors may

not latch if not pushed hard, or some people may slam a door due to being

unfamiliar with the door or their surroundings, etc, etc..

However, I think they are outnumbered by the many humans that are simply

oblivious in various multiple aspects of slamming; this goes far beyond cruise

ship door/balcony slamming.

This happens quite often in regards to slamming cabinet doors, toilet seats,

car doors, drawers, and so on and so on. The list is endless.

I wish I knew the reasons as to why, and after 35 years of apartment

living, I still do not know the true answer.

:)

The last part of your post about living in an apartment for 35 years had me thinking.

Granted there is no excuse for deliberatly being loud and obnoxious.

But there are many people who have never lived in an apartment with strangers on the other side of both walls , above them and below them. Which is what you become when you are in a cabin on a cruise ship.

If you have always lived in your own house with your own yard , a good distance from your nearest neighbor. with just your own family, you get used to your own sounds . You don't realize how heavy you walk on the floor, or how loud your voice is, or how heavy you close the door, or how loud have the TV on late at night. Or if your light is bothering someone by being on.

Out of my whole life I spent less than 5 years in an actual apartment with neighbors all around me. And that was half a lifetime ago , and I was single and rarely home . I grew up in a house on a big piece of wooded property on a dead end. I live in a house now on a cul de sac with almost 2 full lots between me and my "Next door" neighbors.

Now we are hardly head bangers and wall shakers. But we aren't early to bed church mice either. Maybe to someone who is used to pitch black dead quiet lights out at 10pm, we might be a disturbance.

Edited by babyher

I am really thinking some folks just do not realize how annoying it is. I actually yelled at my parents every day on our last cruise as they were next door to us and did it EVERY time. Thankfully no one was on the other side of them. So I apologize to anyone who ends up next to my parent's room - ever. :o I tried to set them straight.