Help with asia cruise

gordylad

Thanks

Cruise starts at Singapore and our plan was to do an extra night or two in Hong Kong at the end and check out how easy it would be to get to Phuket for a few nights as we have always fancied that place.

There are many more inexpensive options flying from Singapore to Phuket, than Hong Kong to Phuket. Competition among the low cost airlines for the Singapore-Phuket route is intense. You have many flights a day to choose from. Check the following airlines: Air Asia, Jetstar, Tiger Airways. The full service carriers plying the route are Silkair and Thai Airways.

In Bangkok to bet the most of it you really want to stay overnight.

Some people stay overnight in Saigon but far less than say Bangkok.

There is so much to see in Hong Kong and Singapore so try to spend more time there if your schedule permits, plus you want to arrive a few days early to get over the jet lag.

Keith

We were on the Voyager of the Seas with a port day at Saigon (Phy My port or something like that). We arranged a private day tour, which covered the major city sights, like the Vietnam War Museum etc. As shopping was not on our agenda, we did not spend much time with Ben Thanh market, and found that 1 day was just right to cover the major city centre sights.

However, it will not be possible to cover the city centre sights plus the war tunnels (Co Chi I believe) in a single day trip. You'd have to choose between the two options.

Celebrity ships dock at the Marina Bay Cruise Terminal in Singapore.

http://mbccs.com.sg/

As you can see from the map, it's a very long walk to most anything. This new terminal will ultimately be in a wonderful park, but for now, it's a long twisting drive from the main street to the ship. Plan on using taxi's or shuttle buses, if provided.

In Hong Kong, I believe that Celebrity (and other ships) are moving (or have already moved) from the wonderfully located Ocean Terminal to the new Kai Tak cruise terminal. If you pardon my loose translation....Kai Tuk must mean "in the middle of noplace" (actually, I think it's where the old airport was located...but far from anything on foot.

Edited by ghstudio

We're from Singapore and I thought I could chime in a bit.

We cruised to HK twice on RCCL ships. Depending on where your ship docks in HK, if it is at the Ocean Terminal, you can easily and very cheaply get a taxi up to Victoria Peak. ( I recall the fare was about US10) You are pretty much at the city centre at Ocean Terminal.

Taxis in Singapore and Hong Kong are very affordable by Western standards.

English is far more widely spoken in Singapore than in Hong Kong. However, all the metro (MTR) signs and road signs in Hong Kong are in English and Chinese.

Agree, but your taxi driver may not speak or read English, so make sure you have written down where you want the taxi to take you and/or return.

for the people who have replied thanks Did you do it with century or millenium?

We did the Singapore to HK itinerary on Millennium in March; it was fabulous! We did an overnight in Bangkok, but not in HCMC. We also did extra time on both the front end in Singapore and the back end in HK. From the UK you have the option of flying through Istanbul as well as Dubai to Singapore.

In Bangkok to get the most of it you really want to stay overnight.

Some people stay overnight in Saigon but far less than say Bangkok.

If you go, I highly recommend staying overnight in Saigon and Bangkok go maximize your time instead of going back and forth to the ship.

Would you kindly share with us the logistics of staying overnight? Did you notify the cruise ship that you wouldn't be back that night? How about your overnight luggage - how did you handle that, and what did you bring?

Thanks so much in advance for any advice. We are planning on staying overnight in Bangkok at least. It's my wife's 60th birthday that day (celebrating this milestone is the reason for this trip) and I want to do something special for her and figured staying overnight would be memorable.

As you can see from the map, it's a very long walk to most anything. This new terminal will ultimately be in a wonderful park, but for now, it's a long twisting drive from the main street to the ship. Plan on using taxi's or shuttle buses, if provided.

In Hong Kong, I believe that Celebrity (and other ships) are moving (or have already moved) from the wonderfully located Ocean Terminal to the new Kai Tak cruise terminal. If you pardon my loose translation....Kai Tuk must mean "in the middle of noplace" (actually, I think it's where the old airport was located...but far from anything on foot.

Singapore still uses both cruise terminals, at Harbourfront (much more central), and at Marina Bay.

If your ship is docking at Marina Bay, you cannot walk to anything. There are usually taxis waiting. If there aren't any and if you would like to get a cab, dial for one - it will arrive in 10 minutes. The number to have on hand is (+65) 552 1111. Everything is automated and in English. You pay an extra $3 but you will have a specific taxi number assigned to you.

Would you kindly share with us the logistics of staying overnight? Did you notify the cruise ship that you wouldn't be back that night? How about your overnight luggage - how did you handle that, and what did you bring?

Thanks so much in advance for any advice. We are planning on staying overnight in Bangkok at least. It's my wife's 60th birthday that day (celebrating this milestone is the reason for this trip) and I want to do something special for her and figured staying overnight would be memorable.

You don't have to notify the ship..they will know you aren't there. Book the hotel online yourself and then hire a driver/guide to provide transportation and help you find your way around during your stay. Use the roll call, the ports of call, and other travel review/recommendation sites on the internet to find a good guide. Just take a bag with what you need for one night. Bangkok is pretty informal...casual clothes work, even at the 5 star hotels.

Overnight in Bangkok can be as memorable as you want....it's a pretty exciting city in some areas....the side streets off the night market, for example (perhaps better if your wife isn't with you...but then again....whoops...sorry).

Edited by ghstudio

can anyone advise if injections are required?:eek:

I think it is a matter of IF you want to or not.

(Peace of mind?)

We did not..and, we did not have any problems

and, while there, I asked the locals about malaria, ect.

And, they told us, not along the coastal areas, but, "maybe inland ' (the interior of the country). But, since we were not going there, it was not an issue. We never heard of anyone having a problem on our cruise at all.

Have done this itinerary on the Azamara Quest for Christmas/NYE about 4 years ago. Please consider taking my advice and sailing Azamara on this route if you can. It is worth the extra money. The big bonus is in Bangkok....because the ship is small enough to sail up the river and dock in Bangkok. The bigger ships dock too far out. That way you will not have to stay in a hotel, and Azamara always has a free shuttle to centre of town in all its ports. At least I think they still do.

hi gordylad

we are from the uk and we are on the millie in march hong kong to singapore.

this will be our 5th trip to the far east and another booked for 2015. so you can tell we love the area.we have flown b.a. non stop and emirates with a stop over in dubai.like someone said befor the journey from port to hanoi etc maybe 2 to 3 hours but the sights on the way are worth it and part of the joy of the far east.if you would like any more info you can e mail me at clm1950@hotmail.com

chris and diane

hi gordylad

we are from the uk and we are on the millie in march hong kong to singapore.

this will be our 5th trip to the far east and another booked for 2015. so you can tell we love the area.we have flown b.a. non stop and emirates with a stop over in dubai.like someone said befor the journey from port to hanoi etc maybe 2 to 3 hours but the sights on the way are worth it and part of the joy of the far east.if you would like any more info you can e mail me at clm1950@hotmail.com

chris and diane

Port to Hanoi is a three to four hour drive and it is not all that interesting after the first 30 minutes. It's a long ride over poorly maintained roads with terrible drivers...even worse than Turkey which I thought had the worst drivers in the world. Drivers stop for no one, traffic lights are decorative as are lane markings and so on. Believe me, there are lots of joys and wonderful things to see in the far east....the drive from port to Hanoi is not one of them.

Port to Hanoi is a three to four hour drive and it is not all that interesting after the first 30 minutes. It's a long ride over poorly maintained roads with terrible drivers...even worse than Turkey which I thought had the worst drivers in the world. Drivers stop for no one, traffic lights are decorative as are lane markings and so on. Believe me, there are lots of joys and wonderful things to see in the far east....the drive from port to Hanoi is not one of them.

Worst drivers in the World, in my opinion are Cairo and Riyadh (any city in Saudi Arabia). Turkey is bad, but nothing like Cairo.

Have done this itinerary on the Azamara Quest for Christmas/NYE about 4 years ago. Please consider taking my advice and sailing Azamara on this route if you can. It is worth the extra money. The big bonus is in Bangkok....because the ship is small enough to sail up the river and dock in Bangkok. The bigger ships dock too far out. That way you will not have to stay in a hotel, and Azamara always has a free shuttle to centre of town in all its ports. At least I think they still do.

Worth the extra money? I'm not so sure about that. I did some price comparisons for almost the identical itinerary on almost identical dates between Celebrity's Millennium and Azamara's Journey. For the convenience of docking closer to the center of Bangkok and saving $150 on a hotel room, the cost for the lowest priced veranda stateroom on Azamara is $11,298, compared to $4,698 on Millennium. That's $6,600 more to save a mere $150! A 240% increase in cruise fare!!!

In my opinion, that is hardly "worth it" to dock closer to the center of the city.

Edited by boogs

We took the Azamara Quest 14-night Panama Canal Cruise six years ago and loved the small ship experience. At the time, when Azamara was new, the pricing was similar to Celebrity and it was worth every penny. We took the Millie this past March: Singapore to Hong Kong and paid $2269 each for CC (plus taxes and gratuities). Azamara was twice as expensive. We were off the ship for three nights and loved the Millie (our third Millie cruise). I don't think the difference is worth it.

We took the Azamara Quest 14-night Panama Canal Cruise six years ago and loved the small ship experience. At the time, when Azamara was new, the pricing was similar to Celebrity and it was worth every penny. We took the Millie this past March Singapore to Hong Kong and paid $2269 each for CC (plus taxes and gratuities). Azamara was twice as expensive. We were off the ship for three nights and loved the Millie (our third Millie cruise). I don't think the difference is worth it.