Travel Guard Inclement Weather

knittinggirl

An ice storm is on it's way. The TA said we have to check in at the airport, but I'm concerned with icy roads. My insurance documents say common carrier or owned vehicle. So, if the roads are unsafe, will they really deny the claim if I don't check in at the airport?

An ice storm is on it's way. The TA said we have to check in at the airport, but I'm concerned with icy roads. My insurance documents say common carrier or owned vehicle. So, if the roads are unsafe, will they really deny the claim if I don't check in at the airport?

The general rule of thumb is that the cause of the cancellation has to be documented by a third party -- medical cancellations need a doctor's statement, etc. In this case if the roads are closed due to the icy conditions (and you can get some sort of proof of that) you'll probably be OK. Anything less than that and you could be in trouble. Your opinion that the roads are "unsafe" probably won't be enough if other folks are getting to the airport. But check with Travel Guard to see what they think.

Please post if you find out more information. I was following another thread where the OP missed her cruise due to weather in TX, driving down from OK.

I wondered how that would have been handled by trip insurance if they were stuck on the highway for 14+ hours.

Off-hand, I'd think you'd be covered for cancellation for an actual road closure. But if you just get caught in a traffic jam? That's iffy. You'd have to prove that the jam was directly due to the weather.

And even if you get that far, TravelGuard anyway will cover missing your trip, but not expenses to catch up to it. (That coverage is only available for airline flights.)

That's not a battle I'd look forward to.