MAHAHUAL … Costa Maya

05mak05

We're a group of 8 seniors. In the past, we've gone to Coco Corona's in Mahahual on the recommendation of staff at the Diamond International shop within the cruise terminal. We just want to sit on the beach, eat fish tacos and guacamole, drink some margaritas and then do a little shopping up and down the boardwalk. Has anyone been to Coco Cornona's lately? Any other suggestions for a laid-back atmosphere and good food? We don't mind the vendors at all … in fact, we enjoy them.

I would second Tropicante. You can reserve a lounger/space on line with Steve... http://www.sandalsandskis.com/Tropicante.html

Also there's Pez Quadro, just down from Tropicante. You can do ala carte or AI. http://www.pezquadrocostamaya.com.

And finally, I understand that 100% Agave has reopened, it's just a few steps on the other side of PQ, as I recall. Fernando will take good care of you. Great food and he has his own potent tequila:)

You can check out reviews for all these places on this board and on TA.

After much (too much) research we reserved with Steve at Tropicante for our February cruise. The reviews in another thread here are all extremely positive, and there's no cost to boot other than what you spend while there. His site has a ton of helpful information as well as instructions for getting to his place and a helpful video he made showing many of the other vendors he recommends.

Definitely looking forward to relaxing at Steve's place.

• 4 weeks later...

We have been there many times and its our fav port! We always just taken the bus over and found a spot when we get there. All the restaurants are lined up right next to eachother. Some charge for chairs some dont. I never reserve anything because I like to feel things out when I get there. Meaning my husband and I are in our mid to late 30's but do not want to be around partying loud people or crazy kids. Even though I have a 6 yr old that we have brought before we are laid back and just want to sit on the beach and relax in peace as much as and let our daughter play and we also get a massage while there. So we kind of just go and scope out who is where and then decide where to sit. Its all the same beach, all beautiful and the restaurants to me all seem to be quite similar but Im not crazy picky over that. My only suggestion is to pay attention to what you order as out of the 3-4 times we have been there (always to different restaurants) we have always been charged "accidentally" for something extra whether it be an extra drink or whatever. Other then that we LOVE it there! Enjoy!

We have been there many times and its our fav port! We always just taken the bus over and found a spot when we get there. All the restaurants are lined up right next to eachother. Some charge for chairs some dont. I never reserve anything because I like to feel things out when I get there. Meaning my husband and I are in our mid to late 30's but do not want to be around partying loud people or crazy kids. Even though I have a 6 yr old that we have brought before we are laid back and just want to sit on the beach and relax in peace as much as and let our daughter play and we also get a massage while there. So we kind of just go and scope out who is where and then decide where to sit. Its all the same beach, all beautiful and the restaurants to me all seem to be quite similar but Im not crazy picky over that. My only suggestion is to pay attention to what you order as out of the 3-4 times we have been there (always to different restaurants) we have always been charged "accidentally" for something extra whether it be an extra drink or whatever. Other then that we LOVE it there! Enjoy!

That's a good way to go and I would prefer that. I reserved with Steve because we're in port only a short time and there are 3 ships in port (including the Epic) and over 10,000 fellow cruisers and the thought of looking for a spot in that crowd didn't sound like fun. But it's also our first time and we'll have a better feel for the area Fter this visit.Thanks!