Why Is Resident Rate Cheaper Than Previous Cruiser?

JustCruiseMe

I don't think that makes much sense to me especially since I live in a state that doesn't have a port that they dock at. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy but confused.

It is a way to appeal to certain regions. Think of it as a regional sale.

they have a variety of rates ....More the merrier and military rate which are often less then past guest rate and resident rate.....do you also wonder why someone that served or is serving in the military gets a bigger discount then out of state cruisers? I do understand what you are saying and it is a very costly to fly in to cruise but I will tell you this is not un common.....Disney World gives resident discounts as well as Bush Gardens at various times of the year. I am sure trying to boost sales for the "off tourist season" . Regardless hope you enjoy your cruise!! Have fun.

It would be nice if they offered reduced rates for non-residents, those of us that have to pay hundreds to fly in to cruise. I don't see why someone that can drive to port should pay less. Our plane fare next month cost us $440 each and that was cheap.

I know you know Carnival, or any cruise line's job is to provide the cruise and not how you get to it.

People who are able to drive to the port fill a void if a resident rate is offered. Reduced rates would not even be offered if every cabin could be filled without a sale of sorts.

As another poster said about Disney or other theme parks here, we do indeed get reduced rates as residents of Florida, but think of it as "we are being used". We fill the void in low season, we buy a pass to the park we might not have, we get to go, the parks have the gain from a ticket sale that we might not have bought without the reduction.

I don't think that makes much sense to me especially since I live in a state that doesn't have a port that they dock at. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy but confused.

One reason is this prevents Carnival from having to provide price drops to those past guests already booked under early saver rates.

On the cruise we just got back from--Hawaii 15 day- thanks to resident rates-we live in IN we got OBC of 800.00. Since we were booked under early saver this was great for us because we continued the great OBC until a few days before cruising. :D

One reason is this prevents Carnival from having to provide price drops to those past guests already booked under early saver rates.

Just a way of boosting sales thru new markets. I'm from Colorado, and have to fly to ports. We frequently get resident rates here.

I think you got it-that's what I was thinking also!:D Another marketing tool of trying to lure new passengers into cruising.:cool:

We booked resident rate and it's been the cheapest out of all the sales between July and now.. We live in Maryland and booked our resident Rate for a cruise out of Miami, Florida. Love it!! We were also able to snatch up one of the coveted PT rooms. :D

they have a variety of rates ....More the merrier and military rate which are often less then past guest rate and resident rate.....do you also wonder why someone that served or is serving in the military gets a bigger discount then out of state cruisers? I do understand what you are saying and it is a very costly to fly in to cruise but I will tell you this is not un common.....Disney World gives resident discounts as well as Bush Gardens at various times of the year. I am sure trying to boost sales for the "off tourist season" . Regardless hope you enjoy your cruise!! Have fun.

Do I wonder about military rate? NO, because I grew up military, as a matter of fact I live at off base at FT. Bragg. My sister was born in Panama and myself in Germany, my dad is retired military, my brother and brother in law (just booked military rate as matter of fact for him but I NEVER asked about military rate, not sure why you'd be so cynical). You are misunderstanding my post. There was NO complaint it was me trying to understand. Geesh try not to read more into something than it is...I never ever mentioned anything about being costly to fly (hardly think 95.00 each way is costly). Where in the world did you get that from my post better yet did you even read my post? I was just wondering why I EVEN get the resident discount that's bigger than past guest.

Edited by JustCruiseMe

I think you got it-that's what I was thinking also!:D Another marketing tool of trying to lure new passengers into cruising.:cool:

You see I never thought of it as a marketing tool for someone having to fly. We actually have to fly to Miami also. I was thinking more on the lines that they might be making a deal with states that are ocean side.

We booked resident rate and it's been the cheapest out of all the sales between July and now.. We live in Maryland and booked our resident Rate for a cruise out of Miami, Florida. Love it!! We were also able to snatch up one of the coveted PT rooms. :D

We booked resident also. It was a good very good rate. This is our second cruise and I was just confused because I was expecting past guest rate to be cheaper than resident, no matter what the cost. Just a bit surprised and trying to understand why. I'm guessing Fl people might not get as big a resident rate then? I was guessing that cruise lines might have deals with ports in states or something like Disney (see pp) does with in state people.

Never thought it might be incentive to people further away.

It would be nice if they offered reduced rates for non-residents, those of us that have to pay hundreds to fly in to cruise. I don't see why someone that can drive to port should pay less. Our plane fare next month cost us $440 each and that was cheap.

That would be AWESOME but alas I think we are destined to pay ALL the way around :rolleyes:

Do I wonder about military rate? NO, because I grew up military, as a matter of fact I live at off base at FT. Bragg. My sister was born in Panama and myself in Germany, my dad is retired military, my brother and brother in law (just booked military rate as matter of fact for him but I NEVER asked about military rate, not sure why you'd be so cynical). You are misunderstanding my post. There was NO complaint it was me trying to understand. Geesh try not to read more into something than it is...I never ever mentioned anything about being costly to fly (hardly think 95.00 each way is costly). Where in the world did you get that from my post better yet did you even read my post? I was just wondering why I EVEN get the resident discount that's bigger than past guest.

Oh MY, I hit a nerve, which I didn't mean to! Please take your own advice, "try not to read more into something than it is" . Maybe both of us mis understood! Regardless I know I see all different kinds of rates offered at different times, many times we used our military rate and other times our past guest rate and still other times our FL resident rate.....just always try to get the biggest bang for our buck! Happy Cruising!

I wonder why seniors get discounts but DH is recently enjoying his and throwing it in my face. Yeah, old f@rt, oops I meant old dear. I have to wait a bit, darn!

Edited by Blk_Amish

They do offer them, I have to fly to the port and I got a resident rate for Quebec, I'm not even in the USA. The resident rate was hundreds of dollars cheaper than the past guest rate, it was the same discount as military rate.

Several posts show that resident rates are offered all over the US. On our cruise to Hawaii we were in a big group that kept track of the rates. A few states that got the rate were , IN, IL, OR, AR, OH, NY. In all those instances with the exception of NY there are no ports in that state. Our rate,we had ES but used it to compare, was significantly lower than others. Even lower than the military rate. We received 800.00 OBC so that paid for our flights from Mo. to LAX.

That would be AWESOME but alas I think we are destined to pay ALL the way around :rolleyes:

I guess it's easier to take a "previous cruise" than it is to move to Florida?

Seriously, I have never been able to make a lot of sense of their rate structure, or discounts, with the exception of the "Military Rate". ( IMO those folks deserve any break they get!) ;)

"SKY"