MSC Fantasia - Spring 2014 Med Cruise

emhug

AmoMondo, could I ask you a couple silly questions since you have been on Fantasia before? My niece would like to know if the pools on the ship are heated as we are sailing in June and the weather can still be a bit chilly that time of year. Also, do you happen to know the price for wifi on the ship?

We are going on Fantasia 11 day (9 ports) on Nov 2. First MSC cruise with our cruise friends, very excited.

Want to go to Rome 4 nights before cruise. DH studied and stayed there for months during college and has been back a couple times, but not since 95.

Will take train to Venice day before and will need to find hotel stay one night.

We just booked this cruise leaving Venice on April 13. We'll be staying two nights at the Mestre Novotel prior to the cruise so that we can spend one full day in Venice. We'll drive down to Italy by car and have booked valet parking through MSC.

On the day before the cruise we are looking to leave the car at the hotel and take public transport to Venice. The best option seems to be the Venice tourist card, which is apparently also valid in Mestre. Can anyone advise how to best obtain one and how to best get to Venice from this hotel?

Our plans for excursions are slowly coming together. For Katakolon I've rented a car through Sixt, with wich we will drive to Olympia and if there's time also to a beach or winery. In Santorini we will take the cable car up to the village and possibly explore further by bus. In Athens we will take the metro to the Acropolis.

Any other tips and advice will be appreciated.

• 2 months later...
We' be joining you in Bari on the 12th.

Hi PattiMerritt! Maybe we will run into you on board the ship. Have you planned all of your port days yet? I am really looking forward to this cruise. It will be the first time for us with MSC. It won't be long now!

We just booked this cruise leaving Venice on April 13. We'll be staying two nights at the Mestre Novotel prior to the cruise so that we can spend one full day in Venice. We'll drive down to Italy by car and have booked valet parking through MSC.

On the day before the cruise we are looking to leave the car at the hotel and take public transport to Venice. The best option seems to be the Venice tourist card, which is apparently also valid in Mestre. Can anyone advise how to best obtain one and how to best get to Venice from this hotel?

Our plans for excursions are slowly coming together. For Katakolon I've rented a car through Sixt, with wich we will drive to Olympia and if there's time also to a beach or winery. In Santorini we will take the cable car up to the village and possibly explore further by bus. In Athens we will take the metro to the Acropolis.

Any other tips and advice will be appreciated.

Hi Alex71, my parents are booked on the Preziosa in June and I have booked this hotel for them in Venice prior to the cruise. They are driving their car from Norway and will park at the terminal in Venice during the cruise. I would like to hear about your experiences of this hotel and how to get to Venice. As far as I know it's a 20-25 minutes bus ride and the bus leaves every 30 minutes from opposide the hotel. Costs EUR 1,30 one way according to a source at tripadvisor.

Thank's a lot :)

Edited by Norwegian Cruiser 73

Hi PattiMerritt! Maybe we will run into you on board the ship. Have you planned all of your port days yet? I am really looking forward to this cruise. It will be the first time for us with MSC. It won't be long now!

Hiya, Luv2....yes, we have planned all of our excursions with the exception of Katakolon. Try as I might, I just couldn't get anyone to respond to my emails. So, we gave up and decided to take an easy day and not do much of anything.

This will be our second MSC Cruise. We cruised the Caribbean with them several years ago and just weren't that impressed, but this cruise fit our schedule and the price was decent, so we decided to give them another try and cruise instead of fly as they hit most of the places we were planning to go. Unfortunately, they changed the itinerary after we'd already booked our other plans, so we had a lot of juggling to do to change flights, hotels, etc. We now arrive Bari late the evening of the 11th. Will spend the night at the Hilton and then leisurely make our way down to the port early afternoon on the 12th. We will now be disembarking with you in Venice a day early (because our flights were already scheduled & paid for), but that's ok-- we don't leave until after 6 p.m., so we still have the whole day to experience the city.

Hiya, Luv2....yes, we have planned all of our excursions with the exception of Katakolon. Try as I might, I just couldn't get anyone to respond to my emails. So, we gave up and decided to take an easy day and not do much of anything.

This will be our second MSC Cruise. We cruised the Caribbean with them several years ago and just weren't that impressed, but this cruise fit our schedule and the price was decent, so we decided to give them another try and cruise instead of fly as they hit most of the places we were planning to go. Unfortunately, they changed the itinerary after we'd already booked our other plans, so we had a lot of juggling to do to change flights, hotels, etc. We now arrive Bari late the evening of the 11th. Will spend the night at the Hilton and then leisurely make our way down to the port early afternoon on the 12th. We will now be disembarking with you in Venice a day early (because our flights were already scheduled & paid for), but that's ok-- we don't leave until after 6 p.m., so we still have the whole day to experience the city.

It must have been a real headache to change your flights and hotels but it sounds like you got it all worked out.

We are going to wait until we get to Katakolon before we decide what to do there. Like you we may just walk around. If we feel like it we might hop on the express bus that goes to Olympia. We haven't made any firm plans for Corfu yet. It will be another 'wait and see' port for us.

We stayed within eye shot of the Rialto once on the 3rd floor of the Palazzo Sant'Angelo sul Canal Grande. We only stayed for two nights so we splurged for the center room. I think it was 600€ a night or something. A lot. But for this view? I never found myself regretting a single thing.

P9230557.jpg.cf24b55453037e29edcfc331ea70ba2a.jpg

It must have been a real headache to change your flights and hotels but it sounds like you got it all worked out.

We are going to wait until we get to Katakolon before we decide what to do there. Like you we may just walk around. If we feel like it we might hop on the express bus that goes to Olympia. We haven't made any firm plans for Corfu yet. It will be another 'wait and see' port for us.

As soon as I clicked the "post" button I realized I'd said we had nothing for Katakolon -- I should have said Corfu! Like the rest of the crowd, we will head for Olympia, but won't spend much time there as my other half, Charles, has severe lung issues and wont be able to do a lot of walking. Instead, we'll spend some time in local villages and visit an olive farm for awhile.

I'm sure you'll be able to get a taxi tour at the port if you so decide.

13 more work days and we'll be headed that way - it can't be soon enough. Greece has been on our "to do" list since we met 11 years ago. Since then, we've been just about everywhere but!!

There is not a lot there to see, when you dock, walk into the town and you find a few (old) shuttle buses that take you too Olympia for around 10Euros return.

The small town is fine to walk and so is the site as well, dont miss it, its amazing and flat as well, easy to walk,

try the lenon drinks in the town as well, , I think the buses stay around 2 hours,

Another suggestion for Katakalon is the little tourist HOHO (road) train. Think it was just €6. It goes through some quite nice countryside and has it's first stop at a winery. It then goes onto a very scenic bay where you can also get off for a while. Seemed to have some nice bars and restaurants as well as a lovely beach. I didn't get off anywhere myself - just stayed on for the round trip as it was later in the day before I decided to go on it.

When you come off the ship, just walk through the small town and you'll see a ticket stand for it.

There really isn't much to t.he town, just 2 main streets really and a few side streets plus quite a few nice waterfront restaurants and cafes. Some quite nice shops if you hunt around. I found a great jewellers selling beautiful Greek opal (very vivid turquoise) at a reasonable price.

There's also a beach you can go to. Just turn left when you come off the ship ratherbthan right into town.

Another suggestion for Katakalon is the little tourist HOHO (road) train. Think it was just €6. It goes through some quite nice countryside and has it's first stop at a winery. It then goes onto a very scenic bay where you can also get off for a while. Seemed to have some nice bars and restaurants as well as a lovely beach. I didn't get off anywhere myself - just stayed on for the round trip as it was later in the day before I decided to go on it.

When you come off the ship, just walk through the small town and you'll see a ticket stand for it.

There really isn't much to t.he town, just 2 main streets really and a few side streets plus quite a few nice waterfront restaurants and cafes. Some quite nice shops if you hunt around. I found a great jewellers selling beautiful Greek opal (very vivid turquoise) at a reasonable price.

There's also a beach you can go to. Just turn left when you come off the ship ratherbthan right into town.

The HOHO train sounds like a nice way to spend the day. If I decide to skip Olympia I may just take a ride on it.

As soon as I clicked the "post" button I realized I'd said we had nothing for Katakolon -- I should have said Corfu! Like the rest of the crowd, we will head for Olympia, but won't spend much time there as my other half, Charles, has severe lung issues and wont be able to do a lot of walking. Instead, we'll spend some time in local villages and visit an olive farm for awhile.

I'm sure you'll be able to get a taxi tour at the port if you so decide.

13 more work days and we'll be headed that way - it can't be soon enough. Greece has been on our "to do" list since we met 11 years ago. Since then, we've been just about everywhere but!!

For Corfu I am considering the ship tour to Paleokastritsa and the monastery there. Corfu comes after a couple of ports where we will be on the go all day so we may be all 'toured' out.

It won't be long for you if you only have 13 days left before you leave. Have you started packing yet?

There is not a lot there to see, when you dock, walk into the town and you find a few (old) shuttle buses that take you too Olympia for around 10Euros return.

The small town is fine to walk and so is the site as well, dont miss it, its amazing and flat as well, easy to walk,

try the lenon drinks in the town as well, , I think the buses stay around 2 hours,

This is the route I will take if I go to Olympia. Which town has the lemon drinks - Katakolon or Olympia? Can you walk to the town of Olympia from the ruins?

For Corfu, if you are all toured out! either use the MSC shuttle service that drops you off in a nice central spot beside a castle and a waterfront lookout and gardens a few minutes walk from the town centre or if there are enough of you grab a taxi.

Corfu town is quite attractive with a nice walk along the waterfront (easy walk that is high up over looking the bay) or the old town has lots of quaint twisting narrow alleys that area fun to stroll around.relax in the sun at one of the many outdoor restaurants or cafes

For Corfu, if you are all toured out! either use the MSC shuttle service that drops you off in a nice central spot beside a castle and a waterfront lookout and gardens a few minutes walk from the town centre or if there are enough of you grab a taxi.

Corfu town is quite attractive with a nice walk along the waterfront (easy walk that is high up over looking the bay) or the old town has lots of quaint twisting narrow alleys that area fun to stroll around.relax in the sun at one of the many outdoor restaurants or cafes

Hi AmoMondo, just wondering if you know if MSC has a shuttle service in other ports as well going into the town, or only Corfu.

Thanks

Hi AmoMondo, just wondering if you know if MSC has a shuttle service in other ports as well going into the town, or only Corfu.

Thanks

They often do when the town is at a distance from where they dock. What are your other ports? (Tried to look up the UK site but it isn't responding just now)

I can't find the exact Venice Terminal where MSC Fantasia docks, how can I know that in advance? There is no information on the website http://www.vtp.it/

Also, upon arrival, should we leave the luggage at the "Luggage Acceptance Point" shown in the linked map bellow or should we find our terminal first?

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&t=h&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=218391479916735639804.0004a4f401358fb70fdbb&dg=feature

Edited by Elmartellama

They often do when the town is at a distance from where they dock. What are your other ports? (Tried to look up the UK site but it isn't responding just now)

We are on Fantasia from Venice, they don't say anything about shuttles services on their website, they would be quite handy when you don't have a organised day/ tour and just want to wander around the local town, do they have different times going back to the port from the town as well ?

The ports are Bari, Katakolon, Santorini, Piraseus, Corfu, Dubrovnik.

Thankyou

We are going on Fantasia 11 day (9 ports) on Nov 2. First MSC cruise with our cruise friends, very excited.

Want to go to Rome 4 nights before cruise. DH studied and stayed there for months during college and has been back a couple times, but not since 95.

Will take train to Venice day before and will need to find hotel stay one night.

We have booked the same cruise as you - I noticed there isnt' a roll call for this cruise yet.

Tim thank you so much for posting those fantastic photos earlier in this thread.

Olympia site had horse and cart tours of the ruins last time I was there. We booked through a local tour company. Had a chauffeur driven car waiting for us at the port - drove us to Olympia and toured for the rest of the day. All for 80 Euro for the four of us. Was a great day.

Thank you for the advice on Corfu. It sounds like a nice way to spend our day!