flights cancelled in Dallas

We have experienced our worse delays in Dallas. We fly from PHX and it is often a necessary stop for us when we go to Florida. We are flying from PHX to SJU in May and of course, Dallas is our stop over....and we only have a one hour stop. Hopefully our flight to Dallas will be on time. We are arriving in San Juan two days prior to the cruise mainly to avoid problems with a late arrival. I am really hoping that this time all will be on time so we can enjoy our time in San Juan, too.

The last time we cruised out of San Juan a storm (including a tornado) went through Dallas soon after we landed, causing us to have a 4 hour delay and having our bags soaked through and through as they sat out on the tarmac when the workers ran for cover. That was also in May, so a non-winter flight does not prevent problems when traveling.

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

It's time to repeal the archaic Jones Act. This is such a stupid act for situations like this you can't board a cruise at a US Port but must board it at a Non-US Port. Europe doesn't have this stupid law.

I think passengers who live close to Port Canaveral should have every right to board the ship where they want. They are paying for the cruise and should be able to decide where they want to embark/debark. As long as the port has Customs and Immigration then you should be allowed on or off the ship there.

I mean lets say your on a flight from Canada they have pre-clearance in Canada so you can enter the USA as a Domestic passenger the same should be for cruise passengers.

If I wanted to take a ship from San Francisco to Seattle I should not have to visit Canada to do so. Or to Hawaii why should I have to visit Mexico if I don't want to?

My point is cruise lines should be allowed to visit any port they want with or without an international stop. Just think of how many more passengers you can get if you allow them to board at a port like Seattle before going to Canada.

For flight delays this would be a great benefit to be allowed to fly to a US port and board to catch up with the ship.

We as Americans pay taxes so we should not have this Jones Act or Warsaw Convention.

I think if people write their constituents and tell them stories of missing a lot of a cruise because of this stupid archaic Jones Act then they will listen. Just imagine if you missed 1 day vs 4 days that would be better because you have to pay for hotels/transportation costs etc.

What's your take on repealing the Jones Act?

To the OP your trip was ruined because of our archaic Government how dare they make a tax paying citizen board a cruise ship at a Non US port. How dare they do it to you. This is pure extortion in my book.

The cruise lines are free to travel between US ports, they just have to register the ships in the US and pay US wages and taxes. And the same rules do apply to airlines: you can't fly between US cities on British Airways or Lufthansa, you must use an American airline.

Edited by ahecht

It's time to repeal the archaic Jones Act. This is such a stupid act for situations like this you can't board a cruise at a US Port but must board it at a Non-US Port. Europe doesn't have this stupid law.

I think passengers who live close to Port Canaveral should have every right to board the ship where they want. They are paying for the cruise and should be able to decide where they want to embark/debark. As long as the port has Customs and Immigration then you should be allowed on or off the ship there.

I mean lets say your on a flight from Canada they have pre-clearance in Canada so you can enter the USA as a Domestic passenger the same should be for cruise passengers.

If I wanted to take a ship from San Francisco to Seattle I should not have to visit Canada to do so. Or to Hawaii why should I have to visit Mexico if I don't want to?

My point is cruise lines should be allowed to visit any port they want with or without an international stop. Just think of how many more passengers you can get if you allow them to board at a port like Seattle before going to Canada.

For flight delays this would be a great benefit to be allowed to fly to a US port and board to catch up with the ship.

We as Americans pay taxes so we should not have this Jones Act or Warsaw Convention.

I think if people write their constituents and tell them stories of missing a lot of a cruise because of this stupid archaic Jones Act then they will listen. Just imagine if you missed 1 day vs 4 days that would be better because you have to pay for hotels/transportation costs etc.

To the OP your trip was ruined because of our archaic Government how dare they make a tax paying citizen board a cruise ship at a Non US port. How dare they do it to you. This is pure extortion in my book.

You have so many misconceptions about this it is not even funny. First of all the Jones Act has nothing to do with cruising - it impacts the transportation of cargo. Cabotage laws such as the Jones Act and the PVSA (the one that impacts cruising) are not archaic and are in place to help, not harm the US. The airlines have the same type of laws; no foreign airline can transport you from one US city to another. Many European countries have cabotage laws as well.

Well..................an interesting position, but maybe you could do some research into the matter before formulating a solution.

Edited by WpgCruise

I always fly in the day before and get a hotel. I cruise once or twice a year. The problem was with my friend that lives in Phoenix (I live in New Mexico). She wouldn't take my advice to fly in a day before. She can get really cheap red-eye fights, so that's what she did. I still don't think she will take my advice, even after all this, but what can I do?

As far as the Jones Act, or whatever....everyone knows about it that's cruising, so you just have to plan accordingly. There are always laws and rules and policies people don't understand because they don't research it, or simply because they don't need to know the reason, but there is always a reason for it, whether we understand it or not. We just plan around it. No sense getting all worked up about it. In my original post, I wasn't asking WHY the ship wouldn't wait for my friends...was just asking how long they had before being left behind.