Terminal Change at Soton

rsquare

Does anyone know why next Sunday's westbound QM2 TA has been shifted from QEII Terminal to Ocean Terminal at almost the last minute? The last time this happened in NY, it was because some other ship had destroyed part of the gangway mechanism at Red Hook, and QM2 had to dock in Manhattan. Something similar going on here?

It's generally down to a staggering level of incompetence. They often cite "too many ships" or something similar, it's almost as if they have never had a ship dock before now. I mean, how could they not know how many ships there would be on a certain day ?

I'd bet it's nothing more than someone's inability to plan and use a calender.

The Ocean Terminal is much more pleasant and modern to board from in my view, perhaps that has some bearing on the decision or maybe there is some maintenance work at the QEII. I see from the schedule that there are very few arrivals/departures at QEII and apart from QM2 on December 15th, there is nothing up until May 2014. What are the odds that the 15th will be changed? :)

The Ocean Terminal is much more pleasant and modern to board from in my view, perhaps that has some bearing on the decision or maybe there is some maintenance work at the QEII. I see from the schedule that there are very few arrivals/departures at QEII and apart from QM2 on December 15th, there is nothing up until May 2014. What are the odds that the 15th will be changed? :)

QM2 is docking at the QE terminal on January 10. My ticket says so.

QM2 is docking at the QE terminal on January 10. My ticket says so.
Hi SEFlyer,

I admire your confidence :) , my ticket said "QEII Terminal" until this morning. It now says "Ocean Terminal". Things change... :rolleyes:

I've still no idea where the Arcadia is going instead of Ocean Terminal, now she's been kicked aside, the P&O board/roll call has few clues... :confused:

Meanwhile, I prefer the Ocean Terminal, looking forward to being there again on the 15th for a crossing on the QM2... :)

Edited by pepperrn

I much prefer the Ocean Terminal too. Its a shorter walk to town.:D I actually have two tickets on QM2 for January 10, arrival from New York and departure for Cape Town so I'm reasonably confident it will be the QE terminal. Plus, the ship at the Ocean Terminal that day is Cunard's QE.

There is another thread on this issue:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1950464

The Port of Southampton has all kinds of caveats about the accuracy of its list.

Things are still rather muddled on the Southampton port web site. But as best I can decipher from the Ship Movements page, here is what it looks like for possible terminal assignments on Sunday, 15 December.

Queen Mary 2 - Ocean Terminal

Arcadia - Mayflower Terminal

Oriana - QEII Terminal

Regards,

John.

Just had an email from Cunard and it states that QE will now be departing from Ocean Terminal on Jan 6th for the Hamburg mini cruise and also returning to Ocean Terminal on Jan 10th - so it seems QE will be departing for her World Cruise from Ocean Terminal.

Your guess as to where QM2 will be......but she's big enough to see from most places in Soton! :)

Arcadia has been in dry dock and the schedule overran due to bad weather.

The ship was due to do a 2 night cruise on Sunday 15th - this cruise has been cancelled.

They seem to have shuffled the other 2 ships(Oriana and QM2) around so that the only 2 sailings that day will be via dock gate 4 area.

They probably moved QM2 to Ocean terminal because of better capacity.

:cool: