Fantasy in January

twentyknots

Thinking of cruising on the Fantasy January 20. Concerned that the weather and seas might be problematic that time of year for a day or two to and from the Bahamas. It would not be very pleasant if 1/2 the cruise was in rough waters and cool temps. I know the weather is always a crapshoot, but generally what's the experience of you who have done January cruises out of Charleston?

WOW!! We cruised second week of Jan 2013. Weather was great embarkment day, although a little windy. Weather in Nassau & Freeport was awesome, got myself a wonderful winter tan :p. Last day of cruise was a little dreary overcast with misty rain but I needed my rest that day anyhow :D. I say GO FOR IT . Any day on a cruise is so much better that any day at work !!!

BTW, I NEVER needed any long johns, EVER !! But just like with any cruise , any time of the year, you may need a light weight sweater or long sleeves during dinner or the shows as it ALWAYS seems to be a little chilly, especially after being in the WARM, DELIGHTFUL RAYS of SUNSHINE !! :D

I'm retired, so not having to work is N/A to me. I can go to IHOP every day for breakfast, to some cafeteria for lunch, and to Applebee's or something similar for dinner and have dining experiences similar to cruising. Ship entertainment means nothing to me, or Nassau and Freeport. I can do at home everything I can do on the ship, except home is better. What I can't do is gamble and sit out on the serenity deck in the warm sunshine. If the weather is windy and cool the serenity is not very appealing. Maybe Vegas is a better choice in January.

I'm retired, so not having to work is N/A to me. I can go to IHOP every day for breakfast, to some cafeteria for lunch, and to Applebee's or something similar for dinner and have dining experiences similar to cruising. Ship entertainment means nothing to me, or Nassau and Freeport. I can do at home everything I can do on the ship, except home is better. What I can't do is gamble and sit out on the serenity deck in the warm sunshine. If the weather is windy and cool the serenity is not very appealing. Maybe Vegas is a better choice in January.[/QUOTE]

That or further south ;)

We went in January 2011 and it was cold! There was a cold front that just went through and we had jacketson Embarkment day. First sea day a hooded sweat shirt. Once in the Bahamas it was great weather! Seas were a little rocky but not too bad. I'd go again.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Have gone out of Charleston and Jacksonville both during Jan. It was colder the first day on the cruise out of Jacksonville than out of Charleston.

Today it is right at 50 at noon, yesterday it was 75 at noon, tomorrow it's supposed to be 75.... So go figure what the temp will be the day you leave or return. More than 20 years ago we had Christmas dinner outside on a deck in the fog, it was in the high 60's. In Jan. we've had 80 degree days followed by 35 degree days. Feb. is usually the coldest month.

I would plan on sweater weather leaving and waking up to warm weather unless a cold front is hitting middle Fla.

Hope this helps... Have a wonderful cruise!

We have cruised that exact date on that same ship the past 2 years in a row (Jan 20 is actually my birthday :D ) and we have had GREAT weather both times!!! Not only in the Bahamas but we have also had really nice weather sailing from Charleston as well! Go and enjoy :)

We sailed on the Fantasy this past March and it was very chilly on the way down to Nassau. People were sitting outside with winter clothes or covered up with towel. It definitely wasn't sunbathing/swimming weather.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

More likely to happen in Feb. and first half of March than Jan.

We did the 5 night but from JAX. We had beautiful clear skies the entire time, but it was chilly. When we left JAX, temperatures were in the 30's. We could only wear shorts one day (in Nassau). Even then, it was only in the 60's.

I wouldn't say its a waste of money, but do go prepared for the possibility of chilly temperatures. You are not going south enough to guarantee warm weather.

Beside embarkation and debarkation days you should be fine. I've been on it in Jan and am going again this Feb. 1st. First and last days you really could get anything leaving from Charleston but really the last day you are getting off the ship and leaving pretty early so that really only leaves one day to worry about. I definitely wouldn't let that deter me from booking. You can always spend that first day inside exploring the ship if the weather is less than ideal.

We always cruise in January/February. It is hit or miss. Weather in the bahamas should be fine. Its absolutely not a waste of money. Im currently booked out of tampa for middle of February. I guarentee it will be colder in Atlanta than where I will be.