snorkeling guideance

BiXLL

We are in our mid 50s going on our first cruise. Went snorkeling one time in past but was not a great experience do to very ruff water/wind.

We are planning on getting our own lower priced gear, but am wondering if this would be good enough considering we may never do it again?

http://www.amazon.com/Divers-Admiral-DryTrek-Snorkel-Set2012/dp/B001QBJTK4/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1383485370&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/U-S-Divers-Diva-Island-Trek-Travel/dp/B001QBHT1K/ref=pd_sim_sg_1

I am also reading about snorkeling vests. Are these needed or extremely helpful? What can you tell me about them?

Any tips or advice would really be appreciated. We plan to snorkel at both Maya Key, and Little French Key.

IMHO, a dry snorkel is worth having even for just one excursion. Not swallowing seawater greatly increases the odds that you will have a fun time and snorkel again. Most rentals are not dry snorkels.

Again IMHO, it's not worth having your own mask unless you try it on for fit, and/or have prescription lenses put in. (Only if you can't wear contacts. Contact lenses with a plain mask are superior to a prescription mask.) Rental masks are usually fine unless the wearer is a child or has an unusually narrow face.

Fins, a nuisance to bring your own. Bulky in the luggage, and readily available as rentals. Nice to have, but not indispensible.

Vests are necessary if you are not great swimmers, otherwise a nuisance. Also readily available as rentals.

You will love Roatan!

I and my daughters actually prefer snorkel vests and have our own. My DH is a really good swimmer and prefers to go without one. Ours easily inflate/deflate and roll up in the bag that has our gear.

Echo what others said about the dry snorkel. I love mine.

One question though, how are you going to manage snorkeling at both Maya key and Little French key in one stop. Both are Roatan. Maya key can only be by cruise ship excursion. It seems if you try to do both you will not enjoy either.

The US Divers Diva is actually what my DD's and I have. We have raspberry, hot pink and lavender. Very easy to spot.

DH has the US Divers travel trek without dry snorkel that he got from Overton's. We like the shorter travel fins.

Edited by wantocruisemore

considering we may never do it again?

We plan to snorkel at both Maya Key, and Little French Key.

my resume to comment: certified diver since the 70's with dives in the last few months, dove WAY more Carib' islands than most and I snork' a lot too. (worked on ships in the Carib for 20 years .... I went diving in places you can't!)

Are you going to set off and snorkel on your own? From your post I think you have never done this b4. I would NOT recommend it.

ADDITION to resume ... I was a life guard for 40 years {.... of one sort or another}

If going on an "excursion" equipment will be included. Many will tell you the equipment is cheap and poor fitting. It is likely the same equipment you are looking at buying ... inexpensive stuff.

Do you buy shoes via the web? If a Ms ... bras? With a dive mask it is ALL ABOUT FIT. I would NEVER buy a mask via the web unless I'd tried on the exact same thing in a dive shop (and IME a dive shop when shown a web price for the SAME item BEATS the web price .. every time ..... but I digress)

Vests ....

The snorkel vest is a SAFETY ITEM. If on an 'excursion' you are almost certainly going to be given one and required to wear it. If snorkeling at a supervised beach you'll be required to wear one. At Disney Castaway Cay they loan you one for free (if you have your own gear, other wise included in the snok' pkg.) At RCCL Coco Cay they require it and charge you to rent one. CONTRARY to popular belief the purpose of the vest is NOT such that you should inflate it and rely on it to snorkel when otherwise a poor swimmer.

If going on an 'excursion' use their stuff if there is virtually NO chance you are going to do this again.

OK, I guess I should have told you we are both very strong swimmers. I raced jetskis for years in my younger days, we have always had a boat of some kind and have knee boarded wake boarded skied and tubed behind them all. We just never did "get away" vacations, it was always going to baseball tournaments (I coached little league for 26 years), camping, or racing. Now that wife can no longer jetski or ski/wakeboard/tube because of her back and the kids are all grown and gone we are doing different kinds of vacations. Last year we did an all inclusive to Punta Cana, this year we are trying a cruise. The only time we snorkled was last yearon an "excursion" from the all inclusive place. The equipment was not as nice as what I listed and we had no vests, anybody. (about 30 of us on excursion) The water was very ruff and winds were high so it did not make for a real good experiance.

With all that said, with this being our first cruise and not knowing if we will cruise again, the same can be said for snorkeling. I guess it would really make more sense to just rent the stuff, but was thinking what I was looking at would be a little better quality wise, and I would not be wearing equipment that has been cleaned and cared for by a third world country. I don't know what to do now.......

considering we may never do it again?

We plan to snorkel at both Maya Key, and Little French Key.

my resume to comment: certified diver since the 70's with dives in the last few months, dove WAY more Carib' islands than most and I snork' a lot too. (worked on ships in the Carib for 20 years .... I went diving in places you can't!)

Are you going to set off and snorkel on your own? From your post I think you have never done this b4. I would NOT recommend it.

ADDITION to resume ... I was a life guard for 40 years {.... of one sort or another}

If going on an "excursion" equipment will be included. Many will tell you the equipment is cheap and poor fitting. It is likely the same equipment you are looking at buying ... inexpensive stuff.

Do you buy shoes via the web? If a Ms ... bras? With a dive mask it is ALL ABOUT FIT. I would NEVER buy a mask via the web unless I'd tried on the exact same thing in a dive shop (and IME a dive shop when shown a web price for the SAME item BEATS the web price .. every time ..... but I digress)

Vests ....

The snorkel vest is a SAFETY ITEM. If on an 'excursion' you are almost certainly going to be given one and required to wear it. If snorkeling at a supervised beach you'll be required to wear one. At Disney Castaway Cay they loan you one for free (if you have your own gear, other wise included in the snok' pkg.) At RCCL Coco Cay they require it and charge you to rent one. CONTRARY to popular belief the purpose of the vest is NOT such that you should inflate it and rely on it to snorkel when otherwise a poor swimmer.

If going on an 'excursion' use their stuff if there is virtually NO chance you are going to do this again.

My husband and I have used resort gear multiple times to snorkel and scuba and never had an issue. This was both at the resort we were staying in and at excursions while staying at resorts. There were always vests available, which I used during scuba but not snorkel. My husband always uses a vest because he cannot swim (can't even float). The vests I saw available for snorkel were typical life vests, which worked fine for him.

The only issue we ever had was a leaky mask once on a scuba dive. It was promptly replaced.

We have plans to snorkel on our upcoming cruise and will use the provided gear. It serves it's purpose and is so much easier than packing our own.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

you did not answer my ??

are you planning on setting off on your own or going on an excursion?

An excursion is going to provide (inexpensive) equipment.

If setting off on your own you need to buy .... but I doubt you want to buy serious equipment ... where a mask can cost hundreds and fins more than that . . .

And you have done This and That water sorts and other wise .... when wake boarding, racing jet ski's and yada yada ... did you wear properly fitted safety equipment?

Or do you think that snorkeling is just like sitting it your bath tub?

BTW, people DROWN in their bath tub . . . .

if a germ phobia is your concern .... buy cheap stuff that won't fit and next time tell us why you'll never snorkel again because your mask leaked. OR buy $200 worth of well fitting stuff .... both are silly solutions are they not?

Another way to look at it .... where is the thread of the thousands of people who've gotten sick from rental mask/snorkel/fins .... ????

I THINK you have already made a decision but are looking for support . . . .

My plan was to be on our own at the private beaches of Little French Key, and Maya Chan. Basically snorkeling from the beach and Maya Chan has a pier that goes out to the reef with a ladder at the end.

With my background with water sports you are right, I do not consider snorkeling to be a big risk. I can also pretty much guarantee you I would not drown in a bath tub thank you very much!

My husband and I have used resort gear multiple times to snorkel and scuba and never had an issue. This was both at the resort we were staying in and at excursions while staying at resorts. There were always vests available, which I used during scuba but not snorkel. My husband always uses a vest because he cannot swim (can't even float). The vests I saw available for snorkel were typical life vests, which worked fine for him.

The only issue we ever had was a leaky mask once on a scuba dive. It was promptly replaced.

We have plans to snorkel on our upcoming cruise and will use the provided gear. It serves it's purpose and is so much easier than packing our own.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

I am really starting to lean this way myself. I was just figuring if I could get better stuff to use by spending the $40.00-$50.00 a piece versus spending the same amount for renting it twice why not?

I would get a dry snorkel, and bring it along. (Some people get their own snorkels so they do not share something that they put in their mouths.)

I carry my snorkel and mask (perscription lens in mask). Sometimes I bring my fins and booties, sometimes not. Depends where I am going, and how much weight I am packing.

I never bring a vest, since I float really well.

Have fun! Snorkeling is great!

You're probably fine then without a vest.

But I would still recommend a dry snorkel that you take. It gives you more flexibility. Plus, rental is usually $15 a pop. You're already talking about 2 rentals. Why not spend the little extra to be sure you have safe and sanitary equipment that fits?

Plus, if you decide to snorkel at other stops, you will have your stuff.

And the sets you listed come with great bags that are easy to carry.

Also please try out the equipment when you get it. I had to return one set, another brand, because the awkward angle of the mouthpiece made it uncomfortable. Also, the mask did not fit as well.

Edited by wantocruisemore

Looks like the consensus is, at least take a dry snorkel.

Also please try out the equipment when you get it. I had to return one set, another brand, because the awkward angle of the mouthpiece made it uncomfortable. Also, the mask did not fit as well.

This is good advice. To test the mask, place it on your face, inhale, and try to pull it off. You should not be able to pull it off while inhaling.

• 3 weeks later...

Have a great trip. Don't over think it. 90% of snorkeling in the Carib is safe and pleasant as long as you can swim. You don't need hundreds of dollars worth of professional equipment, until you decide to take it up as a sport.

Here are my favorite TIPS: 1. Don't feed the fish. It is bad for the reef. 2. If you can afford a new Camera buy a $200-300 point and shoot underwater camera. It will become you favorite all around camera. 3. Use colored electrical tape to mark the tops of your snorkels. Makes it easy to find "your people" when snorkeling popular spots. 4. Slow down, relax your breath and ENJOY!

Have a great trip. Don't over think it. 90% of snorkeling in the Carib is safe and pleasant as long as you can swim. You don't need hundreds of dollars worth of professional equipment, until you decide to take it up as a sport.

Here are my favorite TIPS: 1. Don't feed the fish. It is bad for the reef. 2. If you can afford a new Camera buy a $200-300 point and shoot underwater camera. It will become you favorite all around camera. 3. Use colored electrical tape to mark the tops of your snorkels. Makes it easy to find "your people" when snorkeling popular spots. 4. Slow down, relax your breath and ENJOY!

Thank you! We each ended up getting a set I have not heard of for Christmas. Avenger is the name, mask fins and dry snorkel in a mesh bag. I am sure it ios not the highest quality, but I am also sure we will enjoy playing with them.

We are in our mid 50s going on our first cruise. Went snorkeling one time in past but was not a great experience do to very ruff water/wind.

We are planning on getting our own lower priced gear, but am wondering if this would be good enough considering we may never do it again?

http://www.amazon.com/Divers-Admiral-DryTrek-Snorkel-Set2012/dp/B001QBJTK4/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1383485370&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/U-S-Divers-Diva-Island-Trek-Travel/dp/B001QBHT1K/ref=pd_sim_sg_1

I am also reading about snorkeling vests. Are these needed or extremely helpful? What can you tell me about them?

Any tips or advice would really be appreciated. We plan to snorkel at both Maya Key, and Little French Key.

Hi ,I just ordered a Cressi snorkel ,mask and fins from amazon, my husband had gotten me the aqualung for xmas and I started reading the reviews and they weren't all that but the cressi had very good reviews. I still have a better mask that I take too but the cressi seems fine ,especially ifyou are not planning to do it often. It is about the same as the one you are looking at too. I actually take a vest because I was tired of getting chafed from the ones they give you . my favorite is a jet ski vest , you might want a shirt to wear over your bathing suit.

Hi BiXLL. I didn't read all the comments...but just wanted to provide some information.

There isn't a pier to walk down at Maya Chan. There is not much snorkeling to be done there, but you can go out on your own and look around and you can possibly see some starfish or a stingray. The owners or workers there will do a "guided" tour around the water there and you can follow them. The water is not deep. This will happen if the water on out in the ocean (where the reef is) is too rough.

If the water is fine that day, they will take people out (I believe in canoes) to the reef and they are out there with you while you are snorkeling. They know where to go. Since the water was not safe the day we were there, we were unable to do the reef snorkeling tour by canoes (so I can not say first hand), but I believe once you are done snorkeling, you have to be able to get back up in your canoe to come back. I have read post over the years about people not being able to do this too easily and the staff was able to get them in the canoe with no problem. :)

As for LFK-there's PLENTY of snorkeling to be done right there at the island and plenty to see (at least when we were there). If you decide to go out to the reef (once again by canoe), then you have to be able to get back up in the canoe when you are done. They also have guided tours that take you out there on a boat (the staff at LFK), but it cost extra.

Thanks for having my back and looking out for this rookie mitsugirly. I did not mean to compare LFK and Maya Chan. I at the time was info overload trying to learn all I could before deciding what I wanted to do. Maya Key is the one with the pier and that is what I booked. I am also going to Maya Chan but that is because the owners are on our cruise with us and are promising something special on our day there that will be amazing.

• 4 weeks later...

We bought some gear at

http://www.sunplay.com/Snorkeling-Gear-s/689.htm

prior to our recent cruise and really enjoyed it as we have had trouble with flooding masks and things when we have rented previously, also as stated before a dry snorkel is worth the investment! Not having water come in your snorkel make it a much better experience! I also leaned this direction for the sanitary reasons also. It was not a pain at all to pack the stuff in our suitcases and just pull it out and put it into a smaller bag on the days we were using it.