Anchor Fare Scam

Suteya

My wife and I have cruised over 35 times in the last 16 years and spent 62 days cruising with Fred Olsen. We have booked a ten night cruise with Fed Olsen over Christmas and the New Year and apparently the value was by having an anchor fare. At the time of booking we asked for the early sitting and when our ticket arrived we were allocated the late sitting but had to pay £40 to change to the early sitting.

Why do Fred Olsen impose this charge when they could so easily have allocated us to the first sitting at no extra cost.

I would add that we have used many cruise lines including Fred Olsen and this is the very first time we have been asked to pay to change our sitting.

Fred Olsen have now alienated a regular customer who will no longer recommend Fred Olsen to members of my caravan club.

Edited by Suteya

But those are the terms of an Anchor fare? It's £2 per person per night to choose your sitting.

Yes people don't look at the terms when thinking they are getting a good deal. I think the ploy is to ask for what you don't want with the sitting.

We are on this cruise and we got our chosen sitting and free all inclusive, but then we booked nearly 18 months ago.

My wife and I have cruised over 35 times in the last 16 years and spent 62 days cruising with Fred Olsen. We have booked a ten night cruise with Fed Olsen over Christmas and the New Year and apparently the value was by having an anchor fare. At the time of booking we asked for the early sitting and when our ticket arrived we were allocated the late sitting but had to pay £40 to change to the early sitting.

Why do Fred Olsen impose this charge when they could so easily have allocated us to the first sitting at no extra cost.

I would add that we have used many cruise lines including Fred Olsen and this is the very first time we have been asked to pay to change our sitting.

Fred Olsen have now alienated a regular customer who will no longer recommend Fred Olsen to members of my caravan club.

No scam, you got a cheap initial price by choosing Anchor Fares and it is clearly stated that you have to pay to select seating. You may have been lucky and got the seating of your choice - 50-50 chance. You also forfeited Oceans discount, free shuttle buses, etc. You chose this but you should have done your sums and worked out if the savings were worth it. If it is important that you have a specific sitting for dinner then Anchor Fares are not for you and you should look for other deals. You shouldn't let this spoil your past history with Fred. I hope you have a great cruise.

Isn't that why Anchor Prices are "cheaper".

We have booked Anchor priced cruises and taken what we were allocated, but we have also booked two 2015 cruises at a price that ensures we get the sittings, restaurant and cabin we want.

You can't have it both ways.

We are cruising with P and O in January on the Azura, we paid around £1800 each a year ago, but we got the seating, obc and cabin we wanted. You can get on that cruise for £999 today, but you will get what your given.

I hope nobody on the P and O site gripes about not getting what they specifically want after paying £999.

You pays your money and takes your chance with any of these deals.

Happy cruising.

• 4 weeks later...

They did this as you paid a lot lower fare. Over on pando when it is brought in for the lower fares, (april 2014)they are not even giving the option of paying to change. What you are given is what you will have to stick with.

If you give up on Fred do not expect things to be any different on other lines for you or your caravan club. When you book with any line in future, ask what is the name of the fare you are paying, what are its t and c's.

Have to say P and O are now making it very clear what you are getting for what fare you paid.