Best Hilton Honors Hotel Option in San Juan

JT1962

We will be traveling on the Jewel of the Seas in May and arriving one day early. I am using Hilton Honors points and have the following hotel options for the same amount of points: Hampton Inn & Suites, Caribe Hilton or Condado Lagoon Villas and Condado Plaza Hilton. We would like to tour Old San Juan and El Morro during the day before the ship departs. Which of these hotels would be more convenient? We also thought about getting to the pier around 10:00 AM, checking our bags and getting our boarding cards, then touring the areas we want to see since the ship doesn't leave until 8:30 PM. Any ideas are appreciated.

I like Caribe Hilton, for a nice beachy area. Better water options than the Condado choices, you can barely get in the water on the Condado beaches. Take a look at it on the Google Maps for a better view.

Royal Caribbean embarks from the Pan Am pier, which is not in Old San Juan. Dropping your bags would be less convenient, but still manageable. Just take that in to consideration for your plan to drop bags and spend the day in OSJ. Still doable, but you would need taxi from hotel to pier, pier to OSJ, and back from OSJ to pier. It's not terribly far, but it is not walkable.

You can get a bus or taxi from any of the hotels in to Old San Juan without a problem. Taxis drop you off at one side of Plaza Colon in OSJ, and you get them back on the other side of the plaza- look for the marked sign for taxis. Buses also drop you off in one spot and then you pick them up sort of across the street in a large covered structure. Ask the bus driver, he will point it out. We have done both taxi and bus. Bus is cheap, taxi is convenient, so you just have to decide what combo works for you.

Edited by OttoCal

If I had my choice.... I would stay at the Caribe Hilton because I have stayed there a few times and love it there. It is pretty convenient for the city bus (about a block away from a stop) and very nice grounds. I have heard the Villas are nice also but I have not stayed there. We did stay at the Condado Plaza Hilton last year for one day and it seemed pretty nice. They all are within a couple of blocks of each other. They are actually pretty convenient location for the PanAmerican pier Where you will sail out of. I do know that I would probably just leave the luggage with the hotel (I know Caribe will hold it for usually a tip or maybe a $ per bag) then when you are done exploring just stop by the hotel with your cab and get the bags and go check in. You will probably miss the rush that way. Enjoy your cruise.

We stayed at the Condado Villas because our two adult sons were with us. It was great. A huge apartment with 2 bedrooms, 2 full baths and a half bath, full kitchen, dining room and living room. Bigger than the first house my husband and I had. And balconies from the living room and both bedrooms.

• 3 weeks later...