RCU Cruise Insurance

Hello All. I apologize in advance if I am posting this in the wrong location.

Okay here is the deal. My DH and I booked a Western Caribbean Cruise on Allure for 6-15-14 a while back as I will be turning 30 this summer and also graduating with my Master's Degree. So, this was to be a celebration and also just a much needed vacation for the two of us. Well, about a month ago my mom was diagnosed with mantle cell lymphoma, a fairly rare, very aggressive type of blood cancer. So, the first question is- do we even keep the cruise as we don't know what my mom's health status will be in 6 months. (I do have siblings who can take care of her- but being away from her for 7 nights may be torture). Second questions is about cruise insurance- we do not currently have any booked. How would that benefit us, if at all? If we have to cancel last minute because her health has rapidly declined would we get a 100% refund? What about if something happened to her and we were actually on the cruise, would that benefit us? I know I could probably look all of this up, but honestly I do not have the time. I work and then go straight to the hospital. My mom has only been home for 7 days of the last 34. I am only home right now because we had a snow day and I am waiting for the roads to clear a little before I head to the hospital. Thank you all for your help- I know you are the experts.

Edited by EMcCruiser

I'm so sorry to learn of your mother's diagnosis. I know how heartbreaking and stressful a catastrophic illness is on the patient and family. My heart truly goes out to you.

Insurance, especially in your situation, is a must. If you have to cancel before your final payment is due, you will have no trouble getting your entire deposit back, regardless if you have insurance or not. The benefit of insurance comes into play AFTER your final balance is paid. You will get back 75% (which is what I've been told) of the total cost of your cruise, I believe in a credit for a future cruise. If you are already on the cruise and need to get back home before the cruise is over, your insurance (depending on the policy) will help you. I'm sure others on this board who are more knowledgeable will chime in and offer additional information.

You have options regarding where you buy your insurance. Call RCI and address all of your questions and concerns. Make note of what their insurance will provide. Then go to http://www.insuremytrip.com, plug in all the pertinent information, and you can compare different policies and see if any of those would meet your needs.

Good luck with everything. And congrats on completing your Master's.

Edited by KeywestK

Without Insurance you can cancel up to final payment date and get 100% refund. If you cancel after final payment date, the cancellation penallty is indicated in the Cruise contract viewable on the website http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/cruise_ticket_contract_3.28.11.pdf ), starting with loss of deposit to 100% penalty if you cancel near sailaway. You would always receive refund of Govt Fees and Taxes and prepaid gratuities, from RCI regardless of insurance.

You can purchase RCI's Policy or various 3rd party policies (CSA, TravelInsured, TravelEx, TravelGuard....) that in your case will be less expensive and better coverages. If worse comes to worse the RCI Policy includes "Cancel for Any reason" with 75% reimbursement but in the form of a future cruise CREDIT.

I would check to confirm that "Pre-Existing conditions" exclusions apply only to those sailing as passengers and NOT to "family" not sailing, which I believe is the case but isn't always clear in the Policy wording. If this is the case, then you should be covered 100% cash refund if you cannot sail due to illness of a close relative. Some Policies are pretty generous in their wording on this, others have wording to the effect that you are cancelling because you're REQUIRED to remain home to care for the sick relative. You can view the RCI Policy (not necessarily the "Best" deal) is at http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/RCICruiseCare.pdf .

You can probably avoid all these pre-existing condition issues by purchasing CSA Freestyle Policy (and maybel one or two others) which can be purchased up to Final Payment and include "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions" (most other policies require that you purchase the Policy w/in 14-21 days of cruise booking in order to have Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions included and/or to optionally purchase Cancel for Any Reason).

Ken

Edited by Ken076

Without Insurance you can cancel up to final payment date and get 100% refund. If you cancel after final payment date, the cancellation penallty is indicated in the Cruise contract viewable on the website http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/cruise_ticket_contract_3.28.11.pdf ), starting with loss of deposit to 100% penalty if you cancel near sailaway. You would always receive refund of Govt Fees and Taxes and prepaid gratuities, from RCI regardless of insurance.

You can purchase RCI's Policy or various 3rd party policies (CSA, TravelInsured, TravelEx, TravelGuard....) that in your case will be less expensive and better coverages. If worse comes to worse the RCI Policy includes "Cancel for Any reason" with 75% reimbursement but in the form of a future cruise CREDIT.

I would check to confirm that "Pre-Existing conditions" exclusions apply only to those sailing as passengers and NOT to "family" not sailing, which I believe is the case but isn't always clear in the Policy wording. If this is the case, then you should be covered 100% cash refund if you cannot sail due to illness of a close relative. Some Policies are pretty generous in their wording on this, others have wording to the effect that you are cancelling because you're REQUIRED to remain home to care for the sick relative. You can view the RCI Policy (not necessarily the "Best" deal) is at http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/RCICruiseCare.pdf .

You can probably avoid all these pre-existing condition issues by purchasing CSA Freestyle Policy (and maybel one or two others) which can be purchased up to Final Payment and include "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions" (most other policies require that you purchase the Policy w/in 14-21 days of cruise booking in order to have Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions included and/or to optionally purchase Cancel for Any Reason).

Ken

Please get on the phone and ask the rep about pre existing conditions. Now that your mother has been diagnosed (and I'm so sorry about her condition) it is considered pre existing, and if you were to purchase insurance that does not waive pre existing conditions, and had to cancel after final because of her condition, the insurance company will look back and determine that she had already been diagnosed, that you knew it was a possibility that cancellation would happen and they can deny.

Some policies have a pre existing waiver if purchased before final. One of the criteria for this is that all people would have to be medically stable on the day of purchase. So it's important to discuss your individual situation with the insurance rep and find out what exactly will be covered. For some insurance companies and policies, this would be considered closing the barn door after the horse has left...you know she's sick and you want to cover yourself after the fact.

You can find a policy, it just might cost more. Or not. So you need to really do research before you buy.

Sending positive vibes for your mother's health.

Edited by njmomof2

As long as the pre-existing condition clause does NOT include family members NOT traveling with you, you are OK. Since you are not familiar with travel insurance, I suggest you call the toll free number on the insuremytrip.com web site and discuss your needs with an agent. Or just take RCI's travel insurance, as the pre-existing clause in that policy includes only the insureds and any family member traveling WITH them. I have a copy of the policy which is underwritten by Berkley Care.