Sunshine or Liberty?

kcteach12

I was dead set on the Sunshine.... like you, I saw a lot of bad reviews, and booked the Liberty instead.... I can wait to see if it improves.

Also, the idea of three pay restaurants turned me off...

Edited by poison7fl

We've booked a cruise on the Sunshine for July, but after seeing a lot of negative reviews we're thinking of changing to the Liberty. Anyone have any thoughts on choosing between the two?

My family and I sailed the Liberty last March--hands down, go with Liberty!! We loved the ship!!:o

I was dead set on the Sunshine.... like you, I saw a lot of bad reviews, and booked the Liberty instead.... I can wait to see if it improves.

Also, the idea of three pay restaurants turned me off...

3 pay restaurants is 3 to many!! :eek:

Huge turn off!!

Another vote for the Liberty. We've sailed on her twice. First time was great. The second time was even better. She's easily our favorite Carnival ship.

Jury is still out on the Sunshine. Too many complaints, flaws, and kinks STILL waiting to be fixed. The fact that Carnival has announced that they will not proceed with further "Sunshining" of other ships as initially mentioned, makes me believe that the concept hasn't been what they expected it to be. I may consider Sunshine in the future, but right now I'm staying away.

Edited by Tapi

Another vote for the Liberty. We've sailed on her twice. First time was great. The second time was even better. She's easily our favorite Carnival ship.

Jury is still out on the Sunshine. Too many complaints, flaws, and kinks STILL waiting to be fixed. The fact that Carnival has announced that they will not proceed with further "Sunshining" of other ships as initially mentioned, makes me believe that the concept hasn't been what they expected it to be. I may consider Sunshine in the future, but right now I'm staying away.

Don't do the Sunshine. We just got off it last week & it was awful. It was our 27th cruise with Carnival. We have always enjoyed our trips but not this one. Choose the Liberty! We ave been on it too & it was much better. A lot of people have been complaining about it & have even gotten sick. Lots of rumors as to why but won't go into it.

I say stick with the Sunshine. We are scheduled for an 11 day on her in April. I remember how much bad press that the Breeze got. Well, we stuck with our plans and the Breeze has been our favorite ship by far. We sailed on the Liberty 2 weeks ago for Thanksgiving. It was good, but no way did it live up to the Breeze. I respect that everyone has their own opinions, but I will also wait to actually sail the Sunshine before I form mine.

I say switch to the Liberty, unless the great waterpark & ropes course on Sunshine are important.

Don't do the Sunshine. We just got off it last week & it was awful. It was our 27th cruise with Carnival. We have always enjoyed our trips but not this one. Choose the Liberty! We ave been on it too & it was much better. A lot of people have been complaining about it & have even gotten sick. Lots of rumors as to why but won't go into it.

Can you elaborate about what was awful?

We sailed on the sunshine Nov. 18th. It was one of the top three cruises we took. It was our 11th. The ship itself was really nice. The waterworks were great for kids although the ropes course was rarely open so don't choose it for that reason. The service we got from all avenues was great. Silvio, the bar waiter in the main dining room was amazing. We had a lady (older) who recently lost her husband and this trip was her first outing in 10 mts. He was amazing at making her feel alive again. We all appreciated the extra mile he went, like giving her a rose one nite. I too read many reviews and was very nervous bout this ship, but I am glad we went and did not let them change our minds.

Edited by nol4am

Can't speak for the Liberty, but was on the Sunshine a few weeks ago. I'd ignore the negative reviews. We had a wonderful time. The buckets, odors and overcrowded ship I read about were non existent. On sea says the lido was a bit crowded but not anymore than any other cruise I've been on. Beautiful ship!

Sent using the Cruise Critic app

The stopping of the Sunshining after one speaks volumes.

Can you elaborate about what was awful?

Sunshine was awful for a lot of veteran Carnival cruisers as well as newbies because of the mold, sewer smell, leaking which lead to wet moldy carpets, backed up drains that leaked onto bathroom floors, toilets that did not work in main bathrooms, whole sections on rooms that did not have toilets working part of the time (on & off several days). They tried to cram too many things in spaces. For instance, a large part of the audience cannot see the comedian in the comedy club. The main lounge is a lot smaller & we actually saw a fight break out over seats.

Don't get me wrong. I am not one who usually complains but out of 27 cruises, this one was the worst. The staff were nice & the food was good but the actual ship was not great. You decide to do what you want but you were forewarned.

We were originally booked on the Sunshine for September 2014 but switched to the Breeze for September. I feel comfortable doing so. I have sailed on the Liberty and it's my favorite ship! The Liberty continues to rate as Carnivals top ship with numerous fantastic reviews. I'm not talking about reviews here on Cruise Critic, but through the reviews that Carnival sends out by email. I think you should switch to the Liberty.

The lovely Mrs. Jones is just off "Sunshine" after sailing the final Med Cruise, B2B with the Trans Atlantic, and she too said that there are just too many little things wrong with the ship. All the problems noted above were experienced, along with the poor placement of the Serenity Deck, (WAY too noisy, because of the close proximity of the Lido Pool/Big Screen area.) (Yes, I know there are three decks to the Serenity.) She too hated the Liquid Lounge area. No longer good as a lounge, or as a theater. In any case, when given a choice, I'd choose another ship.

"SKY"