airport security

because of the searching that is done now...and i sure appreciate it...i now pack all my undies, make up, hair products, blah blah blah in 2 gallon zip lock bags. that way they can just pick it up look inside and set it down. i had a tsa checker recently tell me they sure like travelers doing that it makes it so much faster for them. i also wear slip on shoes put all my stuff that is in usally in my pockets like cell phone, cigs (my lighter which is now not allowed) change, passport in a plastic bag, while i am waiting to go thru security, in my carry on so that when it is my turn all i do is drop the bag on the belt and walk thru, wam bam thank ya mam!!! IMHO some travelers aren't thinking ahead to security and that is part of the hold up for getting thru security. i was one of those travelers until one day some business man fussed at me for taking so long and then very politely gave me the above tips. so as they say, pass it on!!

hope to sea ya all soon on the sea, judy

I've flown several times this year and have been chosen for "selective screening" on all of the last 6 flights I've taken!

They code your boarding pass to be chosen for additional security checks. You and your carry-on bags go through a seperate line. They open and look through every item in all of your bags after it goes through X-ray. One of the security guys actually held my lip gloss in the palm of his hand and was trying to figure out if the weight was appropriate for what it was... After checking your bags, they wand your body and do a light "pat down".

I was told they are more likely to choose you for extra screening if you have purchased your ticket within a couple of days of flying or if you paid cash for your ticket. I've had several missed connections due to late flights, and apparently when they put you on an alternative flight, it looks like you just bought the ticket.

The last time this happened I was traveling with a friend who teased me that I must have made a list of "fun to frisk". :rolleyes:

I work for TSA, It just depends where you fly out of. Everything you carry on is x-rayed. Just remember no lighters in any bags at all, and if you carry on scissors make sure they have a rounded tip on them. No knives either. If you are flying out of a large airport most checked bags go through a CTX machine which looks in your bag instead of a person digging through it. As long as you have nothing not allowed they should not go through your bags. Also if there is 4 SSSS on your boarding pass that means you have been selected "Selectee" for additional screening. Good Luck

In 2003, coming and going from a cruise, my best friend and I got pulled out at every security stop for special screening, plus when we got to the gates we were pulled out for extra screening. It happened at our connecting gates as well. We had gotten there early so we could get in the 1st group for boarding so we get could pillows and blankets - we ended up being the last people to board each flight due to all the extra screenings. We finally figured out it was because the cruise line had booked us one-way tickets - we flew into Ft. Lauderdale and out of Miami.

Last November, flying out of Orlando, the ticket agent handed me my boarding pass and said, "Congratulations, you've been selected to be strip searched". I hadn't flown in 5 years, so I didn't really give much thought to tightened security. I was with my BF and my son, yet I was selected. The ticket agent had me going for a good 5 minutes before she told me it was just a random selection pat-down type thing. I think she realized how shocked I looked and that it wasn't funny to keep running with the strip-search story.

It was kind of embarrassing, but in the interest of safety, I'll get over it.

Tip: don't make eye contact with anyone holding an ak47 at the airports. We did and I got stopped. Fortunately I was holding the shoe bag and when i slammed it on the table (because it was heavy, so I had to wing it )and I unzipped it and phewwwwweeee, my husbands work boots were right on top and they stunkkkk! so embarrasing, I told him to change before we left for our trip. and he didn't listen.

she just looked at them got a whiff of the boots and didn't dare to touch, i commented " my husbands work boots and all our shoes are in here, she said okay and I was on my way.

no eye contact, keep your head low, that's my advice.

happy cruising!

Archived