Cruise odds and ends: what to bring

latitude918

mine lives in my small carry-on with my other electoric's.. some of the ships the outlet is flush with the counter top which means with almost any charger you are screwed. overnight I will have a hearing aid charger, camera battery charger, samsumg phone charger going. other times wife will have hair dryer, curling iron, whatever all going. also a great way to meet folks in airports.

I was on a trip with friend who left behind his camera charger. In the cabin country of northern Ontario, we went shopping for this particular charger. When he could not find one, he tried for another new battery and that was also not in the stores in this very touristy area.

If you are getting a camera, I highly suggest something which takes batteries you can charge and get anywhere. Mine takes AA and I can take spares as well as the charger. If I forgot/lost/broke the charger, I may or may not get another. However, I know I could get the batteries. (In tourist spots, they can be very dear but at least I keep getting some photos.)

My 3 cents.

+2 on the outlet strip. Bring two. One will plug into one of the outlets near the bed's headboard, the other will be an European plug (which you can use with an adapter but remember it is 240VAC). The second will be on the vanity desk. The outlet in the bathroom is 20 Watts which will charge a shaver or electric toothbrush and that is all.

The GF and I are 35 days out from our cruise. This will be her first cruise, and my second, and we are both really excited for it.

That being said, I wanted to get a list of odds and ends people usually pack that not everyone thinks of, IE: highlighter for your itinerary, earplugs in case it is loud, etc.

Thanks a ton in advance :)

A car freshener can work well in the bathroom to keep it sweet smelling, phone/laptop charger, extension cord (not always enough outlets), a fridge magnet to hang on the wall can be handy. Small binoculars to watch marine animals. Ear plugs are a must. Handwipes. I like to wipe down surfaces and door handles. Small hand disinfectant.

Enjoy your cruise!

• 4 weeks later...

Like others have posted:

-an alarm clock so you can be woken up if need be and also to be able to tell time in your room (the interior cabins are always so dark and it is easy to wake up in the morning or from a nap and have NO IDEA what time it is)

-small first aid kit: aloe gel, benedryl, gravol, tweezers (just in case you get a sliver or something)

-extra ziplocs or plastic bags for wet and/or sandy clothing or bathing suits for the return trip

-TIDE wash sheets designed to wash clothes in the sink (just in case you want to wash your bathing suit and hang dry)

-An "over the door" toiletry kit as there is NOWHERE to leave a standard toiletry kit by the sink

-small flashlight or nightlight if your alarm clock doesn't give off enough light especially if you have someone in one of the pullman bed up above.

-small travel hand sanitizer that can be used on-board or when you are off the ship

-small travel roll of toilet paper or small travel pack of kleenex that you can get at the dollarstore just in case you are in port and there is no toilet paper in a public bathroom.

Cheers,

Alexa (aka cruisepro19)

Edited by cruisepro19

Like others have posted:

-an alarm clock so you can be woken up if need be and also to be able to tell time in your room (the interior cabins are always so dark and it is easy to wake up in the morning or from a nap and have NO IDEA what time it is)

-small first aid kit: aloe gel, benedryl, gravol, tweezers (just in case you get a sliver or something)

-extra ziplocs or plastic bags for wet and/or sandy clothing or bathing suits for the return trip

-TIDE wash sheets designed to wash clothes in the sink (just in case you want to wash your bathing suit and hang dry)

-An "over the door" toiletry kit as there is NOWHERE to leave a standard toiletry kit by the sink

-small flashlight or nightlight if your alarm clock doesn't give off enough light especially if you have someone in one of the pullman bed up above.

-small travel hand sanitizer that can be used on-board or when you are off the ship

-small travel roll of toilet paper or small travel pack of kleenex that you can get at the dollarstore just in case you are in port and there is no toilet paper in a public bathroom.

Cheers,

Alexa (aka cruisepro19)

A smart phone can eliminate a couple of these. Alarm clock and down load a flashlight app. Why bring tp? Just grab some from your cabin and take it with you.

A smart phone can eliminate a couple of these. Alarm clock and down load a flashlight app. Why bring tp? Just grab some from your cabin and take it with you.

True enough I suppose, but I avoid bringing a cellphone all together. I bring my own TP or Kleenex travel back as loose toiletpaper in a purse or in a Ziploc just annoying and if you need to take enough for more than one person it isn't great to "stuff it" in your purse or backpack. Just my 2 cents.