Cruise odds and ends: what to bring

latitude918

The GF and I are 35 days out from our cruise. This will be her first cruise, and my second, and we are both really excited for it.

That being said, I wanted to get a list of odds and ends people usually pack that not everyone thinks of, IE: highlighter for your itinerary, earplugs in case it is loud, etc.

Thanks a ton in advance :)

What kind of room? My wife and I always book inside cabins so the two things that we need are a travel alarm clock and nightlite(I'm scared of the pitch black).

We're also on an interior. We don't need anything fancy since very little time is spent in the room. Saves us money we can put towards buckets of beer :p

Alarm clock and nightlight. Good idea.

All the above are great suggestions. I would add an eyemask (or two) if the light of the sun filtering into an outside cabin in the morning bothers you, or if one of you gets up earlier than the other and needs to turn the cabin lights on. I also like having a small sound machine (rain, wind, surf, etc.) since it filters out a lot of outside noise and helps me sleep. Some people use a fan for the same reason, but that (and "white noise") actually keeps me awake.

Edited by Langoustine

A stuffed toy from home. Your 'pets' deserve a vacation too.

Comfortable deck shoes. As you hike the ship, there are often puddles of water from the various pools and the staff washing decks, so your shoes will have to handle it.

Magnets to hold papers to the walls which are often metal. (Busted, I have a soft spot for fridge magnets as souvenirs.)

As someone else mentioned, there are several posts on here with lists of things to bring that you may or may not need. Something that we found to be of invaluable use is a packable backpack for excursions. We each have one, and when packed up are about 4" x 5", so they take up very little room in a suitcase. Each one has a mesh pocket on the outside for carrying a water bottle, and a handle on the top so it can be used as a tote bag. Just do a Google search, and you'll find several to pick from.

Mo' money!

A great big smile, a friendly spirit and an open mind.

The only thing I found myself "without" on my first cruise was a couple of painkillers when I got a bad headache. The cabin next door had some though! Make friends with your neighbours early!!