talk to me about NCL for a 2 year old...

Akitkat118

Hi all - I have sailed on NCL a few times, but pre-child so I need some information. We just completed a RCCL vacation with our 20 month old so we had a baby splash area where he could go play in diapers.. plus a nursery w/ day care and a toy lending program. And activities for tots.

We're interested in another vacation next year (we went with friends with a boy the same age) so we're starting to think/plan now with them. The boys will be 2.5.

How is Norwegian with all of those things mentioned above? Do they have any of it? Do the bigger ships have more for tots?

Thanks in advance.

We love NCL, but they changed their kids club program, and now it's 3 and up. I do think they have an organzied play time for the under 3's, with the parents. None of the ships have any water play for the diapered set - however, half of my kids were potty trained by 2 1/2 (and all by 3).

I do find that freestyle dining works really, really well with kids of all ages.

We took our then 22 month old on NCL Pearl last year. We had a blast but we weren't expecting anything special for her. They have an "Under 2 Zoo" program that has play room with toys where you can play with them but they don't lend them out and you have to be there. Honestly, even if they would have had daycare for her at that age, I think she would have cried her eyes out if we left her. She goes to daycare everyday at home, but she knows those people. The "zoo" also has activities every day that you can attend. It's stuff like dancing, painting, etc. We only went to one painting time and the ones in the afternoon interfered with her nap time.

I wouldn't say you're not getting anything for your money. There is a lot of entertainment, (which our dd loved), someone else cooks and cleans for you, (which I loved), and they take you to wonderful ports. That's enough for me. No diapers in the pool sucks and if that's really important to you, don't pick NCL. That phase doesn't last long though and we just brought her to the ocean and beach on port days. We had so much fun with her that we have three NCL cruises booked for 2014.

Princess will let you bring children under three to the kids zone under adult supervision so you would have a lot of access to art supplies and toys but no drop off options. Disney also has a nursery for children under three. Aside from that, if you want more daycare options, you might need to wait to cruise until the children are 3.

Carnival starts their kids club at 2. That said, I agree with the pp who said that their little one would have cried their eyes out. My DD went to a baby sitter, but she did not like kids club. She would cry for us. We would leave her there for a bit for dinner and to see a comedy show and get a call to get her before she how was over. So, the moral of my story is, even if there is a kids club that takes 2 year olds, do not count on it. But anyone who has a two year old or spent much time with them knows not to count on a two year old to do anything! :D

thanks for the input - my son LIKED the nursery/day care on the Independence, but then again, we were with his best buddy so the 2 of them had each other. My friend and I liked the option to roll them in there in their strollers once they were asleep so we could go do something for an hour or 2 before bed. And we used the day care once for dinner so the 4 of us had a quiet dinner - all other nights we were with the kiddies.

Neither family used the day care excessively but it was a really nice feature, especially when they boys didn't know they were there and we got some down time before we went to sleep.

Don't get me wrong - I really like NCL, but I might just wait till he is old enough for more and potty trained so he can go in the pools. I just wanted info from people who went with kids since I just had the Royal Caribbean experience.

If he's 20 months, then potty train him now, no reason what so ever to wait. It's easier to train now than to wait till later. Teach him the sign for potty, if he doesn't speak, do some research on the 3 day bare butt method (it should click by day 3, not be accident free), say bye bye to diapers, and don't use pull ups or a timer.

We trained dd at 19 months, she was accident free early, and 100% diaper free at night a few months later.

We're cruising tomorrow and she'll be able to go into the pools.

Just a thought.

Another thought is, imo, even without the splash pad (we did disney) dd had a blast, and we don't do nursery/babysitting, there's still tons of fun stuff to do. I'm not even sure if she'll go in the pool, we'll see. (I've never been in a pool on a cruise ship, not my thing, and I've never been bored.)

If he's 20 months, then potty train him now, no reason what so ever to wait. It's easier to train now than to wait till later. Teach him the sign for potty, if he doesn't speak, do some research on the 3 day bare butt method (it should click by day 3, not be accident free), say bye bye to diapers, and don't use pull ups or a timer.

We trained dd at 19 months, she was accident free early, and 100% diaper free at night a few months later.

QUOTE]

I envy you. DD will be 3 by next month and is still not 100% potty trained. She is headstrong.

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE]

I envy you. DD will be 3 by next month and is still not 100% potty trained. She is headstrong.

I hate to say it, but I'm guessing you waiting too long or used the wrong method for your child. I wouldn't attempt to train dd now, I'd lose. Earlier is easier, I see it all the time. If you wait, nope. If you use pull ups, it's delays, if you use a timer it pisses the kid off. If you start and stop, the kid learns toilet is optional. If you use pull ups/diapers pasted a certain age, it can cause daytime accidents (some say 2.5, I think earlier for some kids).

We're just back from 7 days on the Disney Wonder. It was perfect! Though, I do think 7 days was too long for dd. We should have had MORE down time for her, I think she would have been able to handle 1 or 2 full days, but I should have divided the day in 3.

The character experience was amazing! The service and attention to dd was the best! The open house hours were decent. The family activities pretty good as well. DD loved playing with the toys in the nursery. I'm almost sure she would have been fine if we left her (she threw a crying fit when we left, which is really unlike her!)

We have 4 dd's, and have cruised with them for years. I understand parents who want their kids to be able to splash around on a ship as it does get hot. With this being said we were never comfortable letting our little ones in water with other diapered kids. We have strange kids I guess because I swear they would always end up with water in their mouths. I just was not sure how safe it would be, even in the splash zones. Sounds dumb, I know. We did cruise a couple times with our little duck pool and it worked out fine. In regards to potty training, our 4 girls were easy, but some were quicker than others. Only you know if you child is ready so I will stay off the topic. Have a great time, whatever you choose and enjoy your little one, they grow up too fast.