How far in advance should I book?

kenandlaura06

Most airlines don't let you book until 331 days before your departure flight home. If you see a flight that you feel is reasonable, I say book it. With the cost of fuel these days, you just don't know what's going to happen with the flights.

I usually book my air as soon as I can. I have never gotten burned with seeing a better price. It has always gone up. I do watch carefully though to make sure the airlines don't alter my flight schedules. If I'm cruising I go a day or two ahead of time of there is some leeway in my schedule. Good luck.

I always book as soon as fares come out also. I just got burned, only sightly, this last time. I booked a flight from PHL to SAN back in Feb. for a trip this Dec. I watched the fare for about a week and it remained the same. The fare is now 25.00/pp cheaper today after being 200.00 more for the last month! I used FF miles for 2 free tickets and 100.00 off two tickets for my kids. If you get a fare which you believe to be a good deal, go for it. You can always contact the airline for a voucher for the difference if the flight price decrease. Unfortunately, the voucher are usually not combindable with FF miles or other offers. If my flight goes lower, I will ask for vouchers.

You can always contact the airline for a voucher for the difference if the flight price decrease.

I wasn't aware that you could do this. Do you know if all airlines honor this, and on all fare classes?

It all depends on your experience with the airline. For my upcoming cruise (next month), I have to fly to Galveston and Southwest flies there. Being an experienced flier on Southwest I know that they tend to have these deals to almost all of their destinations.

I was so tempted to book a $139 one-way flight after a month or so of waiting, but after waiting a couple more weeks they lowered down to $89, so I saved $100 on my RT flight. American is the same with certain destinations. Good luck!

I have called the airlines in the past and as long as I have had a e ticket, they said they could issue a voucher. Of course, I did not have e tickets. I can't hurt to ask! I have read on other boards people receiving vouchers for the difference. Good Luck and have a great trip!

Has anyone received a voucher from AA if the fare went down??? I bought my tickets for next Spring, and with oil prices I was scared the prices would go up... but now there seems to be a lot of fare sales, at least till October

Archived