Cruising in September out of New Orleans

shawne71

We're thinking of booking a cruise this next September. The only thing that worries me is that it's HURRICANE SEASON! I'm just curious what others have experienced cruising the Gulf this time of year. I know it's up to Mother Nature but has anyone had their cruise cancelled in September?

It's rare for a cruise to be cancelled due to a hurricane. More likely to happen is for the Captain to vary the route to avoid the storm. This will mean missed ports or maybe different ports. Also departure or arrival could be delayed a day or two if a storm threatens a port. Also port could change. After Katrina, our cruise that was scheduled out of New Orleans actually departed from Galveston.

So, lots of different things can happen. Just be prepared to accept them. And remember that ports or itineraries can change. Example - you may be counting on going to Grand Cayman and end up in Key West. Keep an open mind. The odds are in your favor of not being impacted by a storm.

Edited by Fla Senior

It's rare for a cruise to be cancelled due to a hurricane. More likely to happen is for the Captain to vary the route to avoid the storm. This will mean missed ports or maybe different ports. Also departure or arrival could be delayed a day or two if a storm threatens a port. Also port could change. After Katrina, our cruise that was scheduled out of New Orleans actually departed from Galveston.

So, lots of different things can happen. Just be prepared to accept them. And remember that ports or itineraries can change. Example - you may be counting on going to Grand Cayman and end up in Key West. Keep an open mind. The odds are in your favor of not being impacted by a storm.

Good advice, ;)

Thank you, that is good information. I don't care what the itinerary ends up being as long as we're on the ship! We will be driving from Kansas so we won't have to worry about airlines. :D

We're thinking of booking a cruise this next September. The only thing that worries me is that it's HURRICANE SEASON! I'm just curious what others have experienced cruising the Gulf this time of year. I know it's up to Mother Nature but has anyone had their cruise cancelled in September?

You will about a week before to know if there is a hurricane brewing. The weather guys really give us great advance warning.

If hurricane season was a problem why are there soooo many cruises during hurricane season? During the entire HALF year that is 'hurricane season' there are only a handful of storms that come into the gulf. The entire gulf area is huge so very rarely is a cruise impacted by a tropical storm

To ask, "Has anyone had their cruise cancelled..." is a bit silly. Of course somewhere along the line a cruise was cancelled. Again, this is not the norm.

Always taken September cruises and just got off Magic on Sunday. December cruises all the way for me now..if price is right

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Forums mobile app

I love late November / December cruising for the price and the weather! I hate hate hate some of these ports in the height of summer; too bloody hot.

Our first cruise was surrounded by hurricanes. We drove from Maryland to Florida in the remnants of three. The last one really hit the Cocoa Beach/ Canaveral area hard. We did not know until Saturday morning whether we were leaving from Canaveral (there was a silt issue) or being driven to Miami. We woke up to the site of several cruise ships sitting in the port and smiled!

Once we got on, we were informed that a new storm was developing in the Gulf and our "western" was becoming an "eastern." Half way through the eastern, our trip from Saint Kitts to St Thomas was interupted by another storm and we skipped St Thomas. (Side note: People howled and demanded money back when the St Thomas portion was cancelled. Eventhough they didn't know they were going to St Thomas until AFTER we boarded, they felt that this infringement on the duty free shopping was a incident that Carnival should reimburse them for.)

We love cruising in September, we have done it several times. The crowds are different as most kids are back in school.The weather is still nice and warm. If there have not been too many storms, the seas are very calm.

Finally, on this first cruise, the only reason we knew that there were hurricanes was that we were told. The Captain did a marvelous job of keeping us in pristene waters and we had a great first cruise.

As long as you go in with a good attitude knowing that weather could affect your ports you should be fine. We do have an occasional tropical storm or hurricane in the Gulf but as someone else said you should have at least a few days advance notice on that. I would just keep that in mind and the only other advice I would give you is make sure you park in an upper level of a parking garage rather than at street level. Even a bad front coming through could cause some minor flooding. There is also always a chance that the Mississippi could be closed to boat traffic (for many reasons) but Carnival does have contingency plans for that at well.

The Mississippi River was closed for a couple of days early this October, Tropical Storm Karen was headed towards New Orleans.

The Elation and the Conquest were both delayed getting back to port and the next cruises were shortened.

We didn't mind too much, New Orleans is a nice place to be stuck and the storm petered out to nothing in New Orleans. :)

We are also cruising in September out of NOLA as we have done in the past. We have never had an issue with the weather. It can be a little windy/chilly during the trip down the Mississippi River, but quickly warms up. I have not noticed any difference in rain, as it has rained on trips we have taken in the summer also. We enjoy the price during fall cruising. Enjoy your cruise - maybe we'll see you on board.

I have cruised several times in Sept., mainly due to good pricing. One cruise out of New Orleans, we left OK, but could not return due to a hurricane, so we had an extra day at sea. I didn't mind at all, but keep in mind that these things can happen.