What Watch To Get?- Explorer of The Seas

RoyalMadness

Hi,

Every year when I cruise I buy a watch, but over the last couple of years I can't really find something I like. Does anybody have any suggestions, I am looking for a good watch around 1000 bucks. Preferably something that is really unique.

I saw several Invicta watches that were really really cool and unique. I am not a watch person, I have like 4 but they are good good watches that I have gotten as gifts thoughout the years. I wiuld never really spend a lot in a watch myself, but with those I was actually tempted. I know its not a high end brand but I guess thats what you are looking for, the might actually be even less than that.

On our cruise last month, the ship's shopping guy told us about a watchmaker in Detroit called "Shinola". Their story is pretty cool, and for me buying from a company from that city would be a plus. But I have never owned one so I cannot vouch for them. They run from about $500-$2000, and as far as I could tell, were not available on the ship but were in few of the shops in Nassau.

Mike

If you are planning to purchase a fairly high end watch, on occasion the sale in the ship shop is a good deal, but you have to know your prices for comparison. I found St Thomas to be good combination of good deals and reputable shops.

However, BEFORE you leave on your cruise, check with the manufacture web site to see what shops in a port are officially licensed to sell the watch you are looking for. This is because if you purchase from a non-approved shop, many manufactures will not honor the warranty. For example, I purchased a Tag Heuer watch in St Thomas, from Little Switzerland, which is an approved Tag Heurer vendor.

• 3 weeks later...

I would suggest you peruse the watch sale on the promenade and snap a few photos of the few that interest you.

Then spend the extra money to use the internet on board (or internet cafe at port) to check the best prices before you buy.

I thought I was getting a deal on an invicta watch at their super-blowout-60-70% off sale and spent $199 on a watch normally priced over $500.

Not so much. this watch is available on amazon for $119 (invicta angel 18kt gold plated women's watch). Had I spent 3 minutes of internet time I would have skipped it and bought online.

I would suggest you peruse the watch sale on the promenade and snap a few photos of the few that interest you.

Then spend the extra money to use the internet on board (or internet cafe at port) to check the best prices before you buy.

I thought I was getting a deal on an invicta watch at their super-blowout-60-70% off sale and spent $199 on a watch normally priced over $500.

Not so much. this watch is available on amazon for $119 (invicta angel 18kt gold plated women's watch). Had I spent 3 minutes of internet time I would have skipped it and bought online.

I saw great looking Invictas at SAMs the other day for $79. Not the same one we bought for $140, but since it was a gift, the SAMs watch would have been just fine and was almost identical.

Th Citizen Eco watch we purchased (for me) was basically the same price I saw online. And it's awesome.

Movado.... I love mine and have had it for about 15 years. St. Thomas is probably the best place to buy one. If you ask the cruise staff "where is the best place to go?" they will tell you a couple of blocks this way and then a couple blocks that away.

Advertised in the ship cabin book of advertisements there use to be hey Movado 2 for 1 women/man. I suggested this to a Swiss couple on a Holland American cruise and they came to dinner happy and thanked me......wearing their new watches. You would think they would have better deals at home, I guess not.